300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blackball

I have been in law enforcement in Texas for a little over 6yrs.I currently hold a Advanced Peace Officer License, Certified Peace Officer Instructor, and a Bachelor's Degree in Business Management. In late 2002 I was terminated from a medium sized sheriff's office for alledgedly violating the use of force policy. Without getting too involved, all of the officers onscene made sworn statements on my behalf stating that I had done nothing wrong. I should say that the complaint did not come from the arrestee but from a newly appointed Sergeant who for some reason did not care for me. Anyway, I have since been employed with a very small department for the last 2yrs but am looking to move on to a larger department but can't seem to get past the initial screening or background packet. I was told that I am eligible for re-hire at the sheriff's office but do not want to work there under the current admin., but this termination seems to be preventing me from going anywhere else. I am looking for any suggestions/hints to help me move up. Thanks.
    The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, "I'm from the government and I'm here to help."
    Ronald Reagan

Well do you like where you are at or do you need to go somewhere with more money, etc? Reason I am asking because it may ne that you are somewhat getting screwed, however, you got hired after the incident and seem to be doing well there, I hope. I would continue to apply if you think its the best thing to do for you. I sent you a pm...
    "An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded."

Comment

At the dept. I work at now, my Chief is a former Detective with that S.O. so he knows first hand what that admin is capable of doing. I like working for him but am getting to the point to where I cannot afford to work there anymore, the pay is just too low.
      The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, "I'm from the government and I'm here to help."
      Ronald Reagan

Comment

Have you tried Constable Office's?

Comment

Yep. Been trying anyone who's hiring (even those who don't have anything posted). It's getting to the point that I'm considering getting out of law enforcement even though I love the job.
          Ronald Reagan

Comment

I would say the last thing you want to do is get out of LE. Taking a step away from it just makes it all the harder to get back in. Given your situation, I don't think you want to make it harder than it already is.

I think your best bet is to stay right where you are and continue to build a history of positive police work. That's the only way I see you getting over the firing at your last job. Whether the reasons for your firing were justified or not, the only way you're going to reduce the impact on future hiring situations is to show that you're a good cop with a good history at your current department.

If you can't live on what you're making, consider picking up a PT job to supplement your income. Hell, McDonalds' is always hiring. You may think I'm joking, but you have to ask yourself how badly you want to stay a cop. If you're the sort that's always wanted to be in LE and nothing's going to deter you, spending 2-3 more years at the small town PD while working whatever you can on the side to make ends meet is something you'll be willing to do. If not, get out now and put it all behind you.

Honestly, I've seen several people come to this board looking for advice in getting rehired in LE after being fired from their departments. The most common advice given is exactly what you're doing -- go to work for a small department that will have looser hiring standards, build several years of positive work history, then look about for better opportunities.

Good luck!
            Caution and worry never accomplished anything.

Comment

You'll regret leaving. I was out of it for just over a year after I left Texas. Hated every minute of it.

Originally posted by edg103
              Yep. Been trying anyone who's hiring (even those who don't have anything posted). It's getting to the point that I'm considering getting out of law enforcement even though I love the job.

Comment

I'm already working extra side jobs that keep me working 7 days a week. I guess that I'm just impatient and stressed. It's very frustrating when recruiters love all of my qualifications but see that one black mark and then never return calls or say that "we've found someone more qualified". From just about everyone I've talked to (outside of recruiters) tells me that I'm overqualified.
                Ronald Reagan

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5329 users online. 250 members and 5079 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X