300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Small or Big Dept?

I'm curious as to what your thoughts are about department size. What are the pro's and con's of each department, say a small town/city of 50 or so officers versus a large county/city of 200+.

Listen kid if you are trying to become a cop you should apply and/or take the exam for any small or big PD in your area.
    Disclaimer: The writer does not represent any organization, employer, entity or other individual. The first amendment protected views/commentary/opinions/satire expressed are those only of the writer. In the case of a sarcastic, facetious, nonsensical, stirring-the-pot, controversial or devil's advocate-type post, the views expressed may not even reflect those of the writer.

Comment

Ditto because this topic has been brought up here I am sure and you should do a search on it if you are the intrigued to compare, etc...Brick is right...as always
      "An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded."

Comment

Actually "kid" (which I'm probably older than you), I can pick and choose the departments I want to work for because I have not 1, not 2, but 3 college degrees, 2 of which are graduate degrees, so unlike you, I am an asset to a department and not just a number. But back to my question, I was asking for purposes of understanding the organizational differences in how different departments are managed, but you probably wouldn't understand, so let some of the other more literate officers respond

Comment

Originally posted by D Dog
          Actually "kid" (which I'm probably older than you), I can pick and choose the departments I want to work for because I have not 1, not 2, but 3 college degrees, 2 of which are graduate degrees, so unlike you, I am an asset to a department and not just a number. But back to my question, I was asking for purposes of understanding the organizational differences in how different departments are managed, but you probably wouldn't understand, so let some of the other more literate officers respond
          3 College degree huh? In what? BA/BS...Masters? And really a department could care less if you have 3 degress. It is not a requirement, and you will be a number when it comes to it. Just because you have a degree...whats you job experience? Background? Whay are you applying into LE with 3 degress all fo a sudden, thats something they will ask you! And cool it with the sarcasm towards Brick...you are new here...watch out and you have been warned son!
          Oh and one more thing...this is coming from the guy that sold crack at 13 yrs old too..LMFAO
          Last edited by irishlad2nv; 02-07-2005, 09:45 PM.
          "An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded."

Comment

Perhaps the department you work for could care less, try moving out of Mayberry, Barney. Job experience is A++ Why am I applying to law enforcement? Because plain and simply, I can, I have options, financially set and stable and wouldnt mind cruising in a LE job for a few years. As for the sarcasm, you boys can dish it, so be able to take it. And who said anything about crack? hahaha, relax "lads". I asked a simple question, so if you dont have the answer just read it and go on, no need to try and get personal.

And as for departments "not caring" about education. This is from a department in NC. Pay:

Entry level pay for a High School graduate is $32,214.00
            Associates Degree $33,826.00
            Bachelors Degree $35,517.00
            Top pay for a Senior Police Officer with a Bachelors Degree is $57,852.00 and can be obtained in approximately 9.8 years. (Pending council approval each year)
            Last edited by D Dog; 02-07-2005, 10:34 PM.

Comment

I started my LE career with a small dept, 70 officers. I left after 3 years for a larger agency. Las Vegas Metro Police. Working for a large agency gives you the opportunity to specialize in certain areas. (SWAT, Motors, Air-Unit, Homicide..ect..) I guess working for a smaller dept, you have to wear all those hats. I also like the promotional chances on a larger dept. I would look into the pay and benifits either way you go, I would work in Mayberry if they paid well enough. Our Dept is always hiring. The voters just passed a sales tax increase which will put 1000 new officers on our streets over 10 years..(hopefully...) http://www.lvmpd.com

The state pays for your retirement 100%
              Pay is great.. Im at $40.731 hr straight time, not topped out..
              heres a link to our contract

http://www.lvpmsa.org/index2.htm

Comment

Great thanks for the link! I'll def check it out

Comment

Here is a link to other agencies pay and benifits. I know our union uses this to see the trends across the country for our contract negotiations...
                  http://www.policepay.net/

Comment

Perhaps the department you work for could care less, try moving out of Mayberry, Barney. Job experience is A++ Why am I applying to law enforcement? Because plain and simply, I can, I have options, financially set and stable and wouldnt mind cruising in a LE job for a few years. As for the sarcasm, you boys can dish it, so be able to take it. And who said anything about crack? hahaha, relax "lads". I asked a simple question, so if you dont have the answer just read it and go on, no need to try and get personal.

And as for departments "not caring" about education. This is from a department in NC. Pay:

Entry level pay for a High School graduate is $32,214.00
                    Associates Degree $33,826.00
                    Bachelors Degree $35,517.00
                    Top pay for a Senior Police Officer with a Bachelors Degree is $57,852.00 and can be obtained in approximately 9.8 years. (Pending council approval each year)
                    Well you stilll have to get by the point that you sold crack before! And 3 degrees with not get you out of that. Since you did state in an earlier post that it was an automatic DQ at the dept. you are applying with. You are the one that stated you sold crack, therefore I was just repaeting to those who do no know you yet from your other posts...sarcasm...get it As far as the pay goes...hum nothing for a Masters, so like I said, they could care less.

Reason I got personal is you attacked Brick for making as joke and since you are new here that was uncalled for. Later.

Comment

Once again "lad" it was a small baggie of marijuana, not crack, not cocaine, MARIJUANA, can u tell the difference or do they not have that in Mayberry? And as for the Masters, that helps to get in a position where the smaller minded "lads" like yourself are working under me, take care lad.

Comment

Once again "lad" it was a small baggie of marijuana, not crack, not cocaine, MARIJUANA, can u tell the difference or do they not have that in Mayberry? And as for the Masters, that helps to get in a position where the smaller minded "lads" like yourself are working under me, take care lad.
                        Well as what was said prior on that post. You said it was a nickel bag...never mentioned it was MJ, so I assumed it was crack...my bad. However say what you want, I am the one with the experience, you are not. So you can made all the comments you want about my heritage "lad" that you want, I am proud of my blood and my job. However it is ironic that you mention Mayberry, we do have an aread called "mayberry", however if you want to mortify me and say I wil be working under you. Tough luck bud, with your MJ distribution you would not be hired by us either, so in 6 yr's if you think you may get hired, look me up, I will outrank you anyday my friend. The Masters degree...ho hum...get some LE expereince, then we will talk, because in a real dept, the experience is going to get you somewhere, not whether or not you have a degree to max out the pay for that dept, which it seems you are only after the money.

And one more thing. You are not in LE, so you do not have the right to even talk smack about any dept. there is out there or anyone in LE. Just some advice.
                        Last edited by irishlad2nv; 02-08-2005, 11:32 AM.

Comment

awe its ok "lad", your right, education means nothing, its all about a GED and some LE experience right? I sense some bitterness towards those with education, deal with that somewhere else. You ruined the post bud, let some normal non-combative members respond to the initial question that you ruined, big or small dept. got nothing to say about that? Then make your own thread called "education is worthless".

Comment

awe its ok "lad", your right, education means nothing, that is why after 17 years, your still a sgt. You ruined the post bud, let some normal non-combative members respond to the initial question that you ruined, big or small dept. got nothing to say about that? Then make your own thread called "education is worthless".
                            Actually I only have 5 1/2 yrs on and I am a Sgt...and really have no intentions on moving that far up. My education consits of an AA in CJ, and a BS in Sociology. So I have earned me education as well as you have. As far as your original question. It can vary as to what you want out of your LE career. If you want to move up with the education that you have, you can in a big department. But once you get to the Admin level, you are no longer out there doing the real police work. So that is something to think about. A small town, depends on how big they are. If it's only about 10 officers. Then expect to be a Patrolman for half your career. This question you raise has been dealt with on here before and wll you have to do ia search and you will get your questions answered.

Comment

Thanks for the input on the benefits of various dept. sizes.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5746 users online. 316 members and 5430 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X