Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oral Board Question

From what I've heard a popular question asked is:

"You conduct a M/V stop for speeding. As you approach you realize that the driver a State Legislator who is responsible for budget appropriations. What would you do?"

In my opinion I would tell the individual the reason I pulled him over was speeding and to be more careful and let him off with a warning. I can see that this answer could lead to followups including, "what if he was going 80, 90, 95..." until they finally get you to give him a ticket. They also do this with relatives and friends.

Is this answer a problem, or does everyone who is speeding deserve a ticket?

Now would you only give him/her the warning because of their job? And did that person tell you "i am (name) and I Am a state legislator, etc.? I can see this as one of those, would you write your own mother a ticket?

You do have Officers Discretion on this situation too.
    "An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded."

Comment

I have been involved in some oral boards and what it boils down to is this. Is this person here for the power trip or are they going to use the authority they have appropriately. It's all about how you're going to use your discretion in those situations. Also, they're gonna give you the different scenarios because everyone is different somehow and they need to know how you're gonna handle it.

Just be yourself and answer the way you would handle it not the way you think that they would, cause chances are they would do it the same way.
      Never go to a doctor whose office plants have died.

Comment

I think another key issue is to not ONLY give them a break because of their job. Make it clear that you'd be apt to give anyone a verbal or written warning for speeding. Also, let the driver know that just because of his/her position he/she is not excused from obeying the speed limits. I'd still run their info to see if this is a repetitive type of behavior. If it was, he/she's getting written up. I think what the board wants to hear is that you aren't just giving breaks to the people with high positions and hammering it to the everyday citizens. Being impartial is sometimes hard to do.

Comment

Took the oral board this morning and successfully passed. Thanks to everyone who offered advice. On to the background.

Comment

Oral Board

Congrats ! Pretty nerve racking wasn't it
            Never go to a doctor whose office plants have died.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5276 users online. 278 members and 4998 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X