300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To Re-apply or not to re-apply

Fellow officers, I have a question that is weighing heavy on my mind and I would like some input from some other veteran officers. I'm 31 years old and have 7 years experience as a city police officer. Last spring, I accepted a job with the Indiana State Police, which I have actually dreamed about since I was a child. Prior to starting the academy, I developed a condition called Plantar Faciitis (basically and inflammed achilies tendon). It was treated and taken care of BEFORE the academy started. I did not let them know about it because the conditional offer letter said to advise them of any condition which may interfer with the academy. My doctor said no problem, don't worry about it. Several members of the ISP who are friends of mine said that I shouldn't worry about it.

The first week there, it did act up a little, but not so much that I was walking around and limping or anything like that. It was just a matter of me getting used to all that running again. The training director called me in and gave me the choice of resigning with the opportunity of coming back with the next class (assuming I get accepted) or being terminated. Of course I willingly resigned. He told me "man to man" that because of my attitude and the fact he could really tell I wanted this, he would advise the "powers that be" that I should get a favorable knod for the next class.

Now here is the delimma. After leaving the ISP academy, my old job wasn't available so I took a job with a slightly larger agency about an hour and a half from my old department. The new department is great, more money than the old job, I'm on the entry team and I really love the community. However, I still have that burn for the ISP. My new chief and ***'t chief HATE the state police and I'll need a letter of reference for the new application. WHAT WOULD YOU GUYS DO? Stay put or try to follow through with your lifelong dream and take the chance of going back through the academy, getting hurt and losing this job? Any perspectives will be greatly appreciated. We all know how hared LE jobs are to come by and I'd hate to leave here, screw up with the ISP and not have any other, lol.
    Why are there so many babies on O.com? Creole, you and your buddy JPSO Recruit help me out on this one....

* "Preach always, if necessary, use words!" St Francis of Assisi

* Luke Chapter 6, Verses 27-36

Well you know that saying "the grass ain't always greener on the other side"?? Well I know from experience and kick myself everday for it. To me personally, do you like where you are at? I mean it seems like you do. And to me, I would not risk it attempting to go to ISP again and possibly something happen and again lose the risk of not getting your current job back. To me, you are already in LE and seem to be happy, but if it's a life-long dream,well thats for you to decide. It seems to me you have it made where you are at. I kick myself everday for going to the other side and want to go back to where I started...and hope to some day...good luck in whatever you decide to do. Hope I helped some...
    "An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded."

Comment

You said it all:

"The new department is great, more money than the old job, I'm on the entry team and I really love the community"

How many cops do you think can honestly say this about their current job? Stay where you are.
      It is not the critic who counts...

Comment

ditto to the previous replies...
        Made ya look!!!

Comment

Thanks for all of the advice guys, I appreciate it. I think my wife and I have decided to stay put. But that Florida LE bug is biting me pretty damn hard!!
          Why are there so many babies on O.com? Creole, you and your buddy JPSO Recruit help me out on this one....

* "Preach always, if necessary, use words!" St Francis of Assisi

* Luke Chapter 6, Verses 27-36

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5186 users online. 201 members and 4985 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X