Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pittsburgh, PA PD

http://www.city.pittsburgh.pa.us/per...cruitment.html

I'm thinking about taking this exam. Anyone from the area know anything about this dept? I would imagine they are extremely busy to say the least. Crime is off the charts for the population. I'm thinking this is a good alternative to a larger city PD like NYC.

A solid Departmnet with a good national reputation. Are they still under that Department of Justice Consent Decree? If so, guys years ago told me how they had a serious work slow down after the Clinton Administration totally desemated the Department on the say so of less than 10 (mostly BS) citizen complaints.

Hopefully the Consent Decree is as gone as the Clinton Administration!

Best of Luck

Comment

What I know

I had lived in Pittsburgh for about two years. They didnt test when I was there. I know the city is in financal trouble big time! They combined two big zones and made one big zone and laid off over 30 officers what I remember, and that was in 2002. The crime isnt too bad I felt safer there than my home town of Buffalo. Wilkinsbugh, Homewood, and Manchester are serious crime beds so dont look for a home there. Anything else you need to know about the area let me know. The suburbs are the hot bed right now, I'd check there first, Monroeville, North Hills, Baldwin, Murrysville

Comment

My 2 cents

I live in the City of Pittsburgh right and am taking the test. A few things you may want to consider are the fact that the city is bankrupt and presently under the control of an oversight board which means no money can be spent unless the board says so (like union contracts etc.), the city police have a residency requirement and there are probably about 90 neighborhoods in the city and I would only live in about 10 of them so do some research on that (if i didnt already live in the city I would probably think about applying in some of the suburbs) , and about a year ago they laid off over 100 officers because the mayor wanted to scare the governor into giving the city aid (all where rehired through attrition). But I dont want to make it sound all bad it is a relatively good department and has an abundance of opportunities especially since over 100 officers retired in december due to the implementation of the recovery plan. So they are going to hire atleast 50 right off the bat and probably 100 before the year is over. Hope that helps.

Comment

Thanks for the info.

Comment

I can tell you this alot of the city officers are testing in the suburbs. The suburbs pay alot more and less bull sh*t plus ACT 47 doesnt affect the suburbs. The city is on a serious wage freeze (no increases for at least 3 years) and the new officers will have to pay into their health insurance. Good luck and you can have that job!!
            Last edited by Njw; 02-02-2005, 09:57 AM.

Comment

Yea, i read up on it and I won't be applying there.

Comment

Hey EMniece. I spent over 10 years there. Everything these guys posted is pretty much spot on. The ACT 47 board is kinda done messing with the police for now. They are going after city firemen like, well wildfire. They want to close stationd and lay off tons of firemen.
                As far as the police you start around 38.,000 which aint that bad BUT you will be on that 1st yr pay for MANY yrs. Only opp. for extra cash is court time. They still pay 3 hour min. for court time IF you are not on duty. The city is left liberal and they do have residency which will NEVER go away. I went to a suburban department, MUCH smaller BUT alot safer, cleaner environment, newer equip. people actually use all 5 fingers when they wav
                You are gonna pay a decent amount for health care as most places nationwide are having to do. The crime really isnt that bad but population is sinking faster than the Titanic. You can get a nice house in a decent area for less than 100K. There are alot of good cops still there but alot of vets are trying to leave. We have lost over 150 guys in 2004 alone.
                The 'current new' contract after being agreed upon is now NOT agreed upoin by the mayor, he is a crook. So whatever the 2005 contrct says it is not official even though it was finalized by neutral arbitrator. They got 0% pay raise for 2 yrs. than only 6.5%total for the next 3yrs. NOt much. BUT again the Oversight board dont like it so they are really in charge.
                The consent decree is long gone BUT the policies were implememted anyway by Chief. Traffic stop reports, use of force reports,too many reports.
                PM if ya need more detailed stuff. Good luck Niecey
                "I pay your salary" Yeah So, Can I get a freakin raise???

It takes a village, this he knows is true

Comment

Originally posted by normy0
                  I live in the City of Pittsburgh right and am taking the test. A few things you may want to consider are the fact that the city is bankrupt and presently under the control of an oversight board which means no money can be spent unless the board says so (like union contracts etc.), the city police have a residency requirement and there are probably about 90 neighborhoods in the city and I would only live in about 10 of them so do some research on that (if i didnt already live in the city I would probably think about applying in some of the suburbs) , and about a year ago they laid off over 100 officers because the mayor wanted to scare the governor into giving the city aid (all where rehired through attrition). But I dont want to make it sound all bad it is a relatively good department and has an abundance of opportunities especially since over 100 officers retired in december due to the implementation of the recovery plan. So they are going to hire atleast 50 right off the bat and probably 100 before the year is over. Hope that helps.
                  NORMY, are you in the academy right now?? or just going through the hiring process for the next class?

Comment

xxxxxxxxxxx
                    Last edited by Njw; 03-13-2005, 05:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Njw
                      Easy I sent you an IM.
                      Hope you got my reply, Iam not too keen on the new options
                      I dont know how to receive all my 'unconfirmed receipt ' messages.

Comment

xxxxxxxxxxx
                        Last edited by Njw; 03-13-2005, 05:08 AM.

Comment

Easy, I am just scheduled to take the test march 16th.

Comment

Hey normy I just want to wish you luck bud. Pittsburgh needs officers really bad. I just wish that i could apply. Damn 60 credits. But I have alot of classmates in the academy taking the test on that day. Best of luck!
                            Dont sweat the petty things and dont pet the sweaty thigns

Comment

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
                              Last edited by Njw; 03-13-2005, 05:09 AM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10339 users online. 509 members and 9830 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X