X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gunslinger
    replied
    polygraph

I have only taken one polygraph, I was sort of nervous too, but I was truthful. I told them everything, good and bad, and I passed. I think that if you just follow the proctor's instructions and are very honest you will be ok. I even told them things that weren't directly related to their questions, just in case they would pop in my head once I was hooked up.
    Last edited by gunslinger; 03-19-2005, 11:35 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Amanda801
    replied
    Byran,

So did you apply? I sent my application in to the SLCPD but have not heard back on the physical yet.

Good luck to you also.

Leave a comment:

• irishlad2nv
    replied
    Originally posted by bryanslc
    Oh, one other thing. I went into the Marine Corps out of hgih school, I was at boot camp for 2 1/2 months when I got medically discharged. It is not a bad discharge, the code means something like "Medical problem not marines fault" or something to that effect. Will that really matter or will their physical exam determine if I am ok. Basically, I was having chronic wrist pain and the doctor had saw that I was having 2 bones rubbing together, and he said it was most likely not to change.
    Won't help you, but again it may affect you also? Seems you have quite a few things going against you. They will have the dept doc look at your wrist then, and even then if they see its a problem like the military did, you may not get hired...

Leave a comment:

• bryanslc
    replied
    Oh, one other thing. I went into the Marine Corps out of hgih school, I was at boot camp for 2 1/2 months when I got medically discharged. It is not a bad discharge, the code means something like "Medical problem not marines fault" or something to that effect. Will that really matter or will their physical exam determine if I am ok. Basically, I was having chronic wrist pain and the doctor had saw that I was having 2 bones rubbing together, and he said it was most likely not to change.

Leave a comment:

• bryanslc
    replied
    Thanks guys, that is some great advice. Now, I didn't mean to sound as though I am "panicky". I am by no means that way, I remain calm in tough situations and think with a clear head. What I meant, is I get test anxiety.

Would it help my chances if I went through POST certification myself before applying? (The departments around here generally put you through it when you are hired). What about college? What about starting off in something easier to get into, such as Corrections? Or will these circumstances stand in the way no matter what I do right now?

I have demonstrated stability and maturity. I have been with my present employer, going on 1 1/2 years and the previous I was with almost 2 years. I do keep my finances straight now and make sure that my bills are paid. Will this matter?

I am 22, going on 23 this April. Thanks guys!

Leave a comment:

• Delta_V
    replied
    Here, your biggest problem would be the bankrupcy such a short time ago. It would probably DQ you.

Leave a comment:

• irishlad2nv
    replied
    First---yes that will most likely be a problem, seeing that most depts. run credit checks and that plays a part of whether you cna handle your bills, so that you do not discredit the department.

Two---Probably no, but just tell them and they will ask you about the incident, like where, when, who charged you, etc...

Three---Depends on the Depts. policies. Most you have to have a 3 yr time span between uses.

Four---If you are afraid/have anxiety, then you will definately have a tough time in LE. Because at times you will be under a lot of stress and if you have anxiety problems, well they will find out on the polygraph.

Most people are nervous about it. But if you show too much anxiety, then the polygrapher most likely not be able to get a good reading.

The only way you will fail, is if you show deception (lying) during the test when they ask you cetain questions.

I would contact the dept, you are applying to and ask a recruiter about your situations, and or look at their qualifications on a website if they have one.

Leave a comment:

• BrickCop
    replied
    Two years is a start but I would want to see a greater length of time from your last bad judgement choices.

It's not the end of the world as you have plenty of time to get on a PD (I'm assuming you're in the early 20's). Get a job with a measure of responsibility. You cannot just declare that you've matured; you have to demonstrate it in actions.

Leave a comment:

• bryanslc
    started a topic Am I qualified?

Am I qualified?

Hi guys, I'm new here. Read a lot of posts, but this is my first time posting. Anyway, I am looking to apply with a local police department here (Salt Lake City area) and had a few questions as to whether I will qualify or not.

First,
    I have a bankruptcy that was discharged last june. It was a chapter 7. My credit was fine until almost 9 months before, but due to unforseen circumstances and poor financial planning I had to file. Will this prevent me from getting hired?

Second,
    2 years ago this May, I got an open alcohol container ticket. Stupid, yes. But it happened, I was not driving however. I was just a passenger and got caught being an idiot. I, of course have made a lot of maturity changes since then and do not have anything else on my record. Will this cause any problems?

Third,
    I've used marijuanna less than 5 times and the last time I used it was about 2 years ago. Is this going to be a problem?

Fourth,
    I am dead afraid of a polygraph machine, not that I have anything to hide but I get really bad anxiety anytime I am put on the spot, innocent or not. I am worried that even though I answer truthfully I may fail. Is this a normal concern or are there some things I should work on prior to the test?

Thank you guys so much! I hope to be part of the "team" soon.

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9206 users online. 436 members and 8770 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X