300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question NYPD

I am wondering about how often NYPD tests, and how many they accept into their academy for each test period on average. Also, how long does their hiring process usually take?
    I am about 5 miles from Center City Philadelphia, but am about 1/2 mile outside city limit so I can not apply w/o 1 year Phila. residency for PPD. I have a B.A., no arrests, and recently graduated PA police academy, so I took the initiative and put in for the NYPD test in February. Jobs are few and far between for DelCo area. I am heavily considering moving to NYC, most likely Bronx or Upper West Side Manhattan. This is why I have the questions about NYPD. Thanks.
    "He who lives without Discipline Dies without Honor"

I tested with the NYPD about a year ago. their hiring process is broken in to three to four parts. It will take your roughly 3 months for the background and all the other tests that they have. If you look at their website they have a deal now where you can do all the testing in three days. I think it is called the Zeus program or something similar, it is designed for out of state applicants. It is meant to speed along the process of getting through the background and getting hired with their department. The training class is 24 weeks. There is a training class starting on Jan. 17th and the next class is tentatively scheduled for the middle of July. Go to a word search and type in New York City Police Department and find their homepage. That should show you the answers to all your questions and it has a help line so that you can contact someone if you have any others. And, a word of advice for you too... if you are looking for a nice place to live that is in Manhattan, look into the westside of Harlem. I know that it is Harlem and all that, but they just built new apartments on the west side, just north of 11oth st.(or near there, I am forgetting right now) and they are two bedrooms with one bedroom avaliability and all that for $1100/month(2 bedroom). Not a bad deal by NY standards. that is where I was going to live because if you look at the area, there is everything you need within walking distance. If you are wondering why it is so cheap, it is part of that whole revitalization of Harlem that former president Clinton started. But it is something worth checking out. Good Luck too!!! NY is an amazing place!
    "...and that was the second time I had crabs."
    "Stinks like sex in here."

Comment

Thats really good info. Thanks for the reply. I did look into the accelerated testing and I think it said as long as you passed the written test you could apply for it so that you could get all the tests done in one weekend. So, hopefully I can get that done. Good advice also on Harlem. I know it's Harlem, but I am also aware that it borders the upper west side which really isn't too bad, plus the revitalization. I looked at Hell's Kitchen too, but apartments blew up in prices in that area. Great advice, hopefully I can make it into the July Class. Thanks.

Comment

Re: Question NYPD

Originally posted by rollerzonly61
        I am wondering about how often NYPD tests, and how many they accept into their academy for each test period on average. Also, how long does their hiring process usually take?
        I am about 5 miles from Center City Philadelphia, but am about 1/2 mile outside city limit so I can not apply w/o 1 year Phila. residency for PPD. I have a B.A., no arrests, and recently graduated PA police academy, so I took the initiative and put in for the NYPD test in February. Jobs are few and far between for DelCo area. I am heavily considering moving to NYC, most likely Bronx or Upper West Side Manhattan. This is why I have the questions about NYPD. Thanks.
        Dude...you have so many oppotunities since you have Grad PA Academy already! You can get hired at any Dept in Maryland and go through a 4 week re-certification course and work...or shoot there are plenty of agencies in PA that will hire you I am sure.
        "An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded."

Comment

With an academy already under your belt, you should look into other departments in my opinion. From what I hear, NYPD will hire anyone who can breath and walk upright.

Comment

The only problem with my area in PA is that there are uusually 400 or so applicants for only 3 or 4 job openings. I'm finding out the hard way that there are a lot of politics involved, and that it pays to know someone. I'm rather frustrated with the process, but I will look into Maryland. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by rollerzonly61
              The only problem with my area in PA is that there are uusually 400 or so applicants for only 3 or 4 job openings. I'm finding out the hard way that there are a lot of politics involved, and that it pays to know someone. I'm rather frustrated with the process, but I will look into Maryland. Thanks.
              Well reason I was saying to apply, is you already have the upper hand by being certified, true you have not worked in LE yet, but compared to others you have a better chance! Im not saying Maryland will hire you w/o experience, but like others have said NYPD is a weird playing game...I did their whole proccess and got hired, but didn't want to take the pay cut from where I am at right now.
              "An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded."

Comment

I understand what you are saying. I am still applying in PA, I actually have 2 tests coming up for relatively high paying areas. I will try to stay in my area so that I don't have to move, that is the best possible outcome. One of my driving forces for NYPD (at the risk of sounding really cheesy) is that I was born on September 11th, 1980. That may sound cliched but I have more respect for those men and that department for going through that. I would love to be a part of their team.

Comment

EM how much do you really know about the NYPD and as a retired NYPD officer I feel you discredited the NYPD officers that are working the streets of NY right now. All I know as one old timer told me, when you put on a blue suit and a badge you have a tough job. I do not knock other peoples department and I would appreciate it if you would not knock mine, when you walk a mile in my shoes then you can knock. Thanks.

Comment

Here's my NYPD story,

In 94 I traveled with another cop to NY. It was my first time. I met a cop who worked the 88th. I think it was in the Bronx, but I may be wrong? Anyhow, this guy just meets me and invites me to stay with his family on Long Island so I don't have to get a hotel room. I met all kinds of NY cops and they treated me better than my own guys on my Dept. I have nothing but respect for all cops, but the NYPD is a first class organization. Even the citizens I met that were not NYPD were nice. All my life I heard horror stories about New Yorkers, but it was not true. I would like to go back one day and bring my family for a vaction. I love meeting cops from other cities when they come to Vegas, I always tell them about NYPD and my trip.

Comment

Originally posted by VegasMetro
                      Here's my NYPD story,

In 94 I traveled with another cop to NY. It was my first time. I met a cop who worked the 88th. I think it was in the Bronx, but I may be wrong? Anyhow, this guy just meets me and invites me to stay with his family on Long Island so I don't have to get a hotel room. I met all kinds of NY cops and they treated me better than my own guys on my Dept. I have nothing but respect for all cops, but the NYPD is a first class organization. Even the citizens I met that were not NYPD were nice. All my life I heard horror stories about New Yorkers, but it was not true. I would like to go back one day and bring my family for a vaction. I love meeting cops from other cities when they come to Vegas, I always tell them about NYPD and my trip.
                      i used to live in new york city when i was in college. i have to agree that the horror stories about new yorkers are false. i made friends alot more easily when i was in nyc that i do in fla.

i think the reason why cops in nyc are so down to earth is that they still believe in the blue collar work ethic. theyre hard working guys just like any other citizen. unlike other parts of the country when being a cop supposedly makes one some kind of god. i wouldnt have minded working for nypd. i loved living in new york. hell, if i hadnt been at my department for so long, i might have considered moving back.
                      "The American public will find it refreshing to see a Republican candidate, who's not a moralistic, sexually repressed, crusading hypocrite, who cruises airport men's rooms late at night."
                      William Shatner

Comment

Originally posted by jints566
                        EM how much do you really know about the NYPD and as a retired NYPD officer I feel you discredited the NYPD officers that are working the streets of NY right now. All I know as one old timer told me, when you put on a blue suit and a badge you have a tough job. I do not knock other peoples department and I would appreciate it if you would not knock mine, when you walk a mile in my shoes then you can knock. Thanks.
                        I wasn't discrediting anyone or NYPD. I have been looking into the dept for a while now and have determined that it is rather easy to get hired there because they need so many people. The only reason I won't follow through with the process is because I doubt I could make a living off of the starting pay, unless I worked 70 hours a week. I have nothing but respect for NYPD, all I was saying is that it is easy to get hired there. Don't get all fired up over nothing

Comment

NY has been one of the best places I have been to in the past year. I hold the NYPD in high regard and give all those men and women that work for the port authority, PD and everything else the most credit in the world. I thought that I could do the job out there and be fine with the city, but it is an intimidating place. At least I know now. But good luck with the tests and I give a lot of respect to anyone and everyone that can do the job there. It takes a big heart and a lot of ballz. But good luck...
                          "...and that was the second time I had crabs."
                          "Stinks like sex in here."

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8125 users online. 262 members and 7863 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X