Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A ? about Seeking Job (Hills, Pasco, Pinellas, Hernando)

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A ? about Seeking Job (Hills, Pasco, Pinellas, Hernando)

Hello
    I am a recent PHCC ( Pasco-Hernando Community College) Basic Recruit Graduate. I am currently seeking employment and have applied with a few agencies so far. I read a thread on someone who is frustrated and seeking employment as well and noticed that he mentioned they told him corrections may be a better start. While I was in the Academy, some higher up's with PSO (Pasco) said the needed Detention Deputies and were offering us possible employment if we took a crossover. My question is since most of you are in LE, is it better to start in Detention? Truthfully my heart is in patrol but if this is my only opportunity to get a foot in the door I guess I should take it. What do you think?
    I've got friends in low places

Im not an officer, and I havent gone through the acad yet, so I wont be offended in the slightest if you dont put stock in what I say. From what I've seen, corrections is certainly going to be easier to get into then LE. But if your heart is in patrol, then keep at it. Yesterday, one of my professors was talking to a former recruit he had in the academy 6 months ago. This guy had no education, only his state certification and was getting extremely frustrated from being turned down locally, he was now thinking of heading into corrections. The professor reminded him what he said on the last day of the academy, "If you cant find work here, go everywhere.....if they don't want you in central florida, they will welcome you with open arms in south florida. Crime is the same, but the names are diffrent." If you're getting discouraged, consider looking in other parts of the state. Dont give up. Find a job, and give me hope once I graduate from the academy. Best of Luck!
    Facts are meaningless, they can be used to prove anything.

Stay Safe

Comment

Thanks!!
      I'm not frustrated as of yet and I know this may sound bad but being a female I think ( but dont qoute me) LOL. I have a slight advantage but not much. I have an interview with a HR director on Monday and am hoping it goes well. I also will be applying at a few more agencies in the surrounding areas as well, but I just want to keep an open mind. Some say that once you get into Detention your stuck in Detention. Please dont get me wrong any correctional people out there not putting your work down, its equally as important as LE. I have just always wanted to work the road, but if I can get in the door and have to wait 2 years I will do that too. I just would like others opinions on it and if its a good place to start if I cannot get a patrol job right away. I do appreciate the words of encouragement and trust me once you graduate the academy and get certified if you have the College credits too.... you'll definetly have a better chance than most of us without any college. I am going back to get my Bachelors in CJ, just currently need a paycheck lol. Good luck !!!

Comment

Well it depends what you want. Corrections is definatly a quicker choice, but you can get a patrol job if you are willing to search around. If you have time to look around, apply and see what happens. If you cant get anything then look to corrections. From what I hear from our corrections people and and other agencies it is not as easy to get out of corrections once you are there. But like I said, dont get hung up on a few agencies, look at ALL possibilities

Comment

Thanks!!
          I appreciate any and all advice and opinions. I know they told me if I take the corrections route it will be 2 years before I can make it to the road. I guess I just need to weigh all the options. Thanks for your advice

Comment

Hey there, I saw that your considering taking a position as a Corrections Officer to get your foot in the door. I like that idea, but i feel if you've gone through the hard work and stress of the basic law enforcement academy the last thing ya wanna do is be stuck working the jail for 2 years. I worked corrections for the state of Arizona for about a year and i had to get on the street. To me working corrections is like doing your own time,except you go home at night. But if its your only foot in, "go for it". Im sure you'll make the best decision, good luck

Comment

I'm in your area, so I'll give some advice.

Keep in mind that the academies are run by the community colleges (as you very well know). They basically will accept anyone who meets the minimum requirements. That said, unless you have a political 'in,' you most likely will not get hired by a good agency in a law enforcment position with simply a high school diploma and a certificate. All the academy is concerned about is getting your money, they could care less about whether or not you find a job. IMO, every person to go through the academy should be pre-hired. I can recall several people in my class who should not, and most likely will not, ever get jobs in LE.

LE hiring is VERY competitive. The days of mass hiring because of people leaving the DROP program are pretty much over. Agencies want people with degrees, prior LE experience, or military experience. The reason that agencies will pay you to go into corrections is because nobody wants the job. The only way that they can get people to go into corrections is paying their way through the academy. Agencies will tell you that you can move to the road eventually, but there are lots of people working in the jails who will never make it to the road. Beware of a promise to go to the road in two years. Lots of things can happen.

My advice to you would be to apply for LE postions, and if turned down, take a position as a reserve somewhere while you're finishing your bachelor's. Reserves can make great pay for working extra duty assignments, plus you'll be working toward something that will actually help you get a full time LE job--which is what you want.

Comment

I'd sat it depends on where you want to work. If the only option Pasco is offering you is to do corrections first and you prefer Pasco, then take the corrections slot until you can get a road slot. If you want to be on the street, then start putting applications in Hernando, Hillsborough, Pinellas, and Tampa. If you want to stay in Pasco, then start inquiring with some of the local PDs like New Port Richey, Port Richey, Zephyrhills, and Dade City. Good luck.
                If it wasn't for STUPID PEOPLE I'd be unemployed.

Comment

All the academy is concerned about is getting your money, they could care less about whether or not you find a job. IMO, every person to go through the academy should be pre-hired. I can recall several people in my class who should not, and most likely will not, ever get jobs in LE.

I can certainly agree with that. Alot of people in my Academy class I can never see in LE. I am 34 years old and have a few Deputies that I have known for a while that can vouch for me, so that may help a bit. Like previously written I have heard the same thing about being stuck with the empty promise of moving to the road and thats what bothers me. I live in Pasco so that would be nice to be close to home by working for their agengy. I also plan on applying to other agencies as well. I can understand why they want people with Degrees, it shows that LE is where thier heart is, I know its where my heart is and I do plan to get my Bachelors.

My advice to you would be to apply for LE postions, and if turned down, take a position as a reserve somewhere while you're finishing your bachelor's. Reserves can make great pay for working extra duty assignments, plus you'll be working toward something that will actually help you get a full time LE job--which is what you want.

I appreciate the advice thanks!!

Comment

If you want to stay in Pasco, then start inquiring with some of the local PDs like New Port Richey, Port Richey, Zephyrhills, and Dade City. Good luck.

I have put in an application with New Port Richey, I am also putting applications with Largo, Pinellas SO, and Hillsborough and Hernando. I remember one of my instrutors telling me not to put all my eggs in one basket so I am spreading them around. I may try the reserve route as well. I am just hoping that my interview on Monday goes well. I know Dade City had 1 position open and they told me that was it was basically filled by a Hispanic male from my class because that area needs spanish speaking officers. With all these academies graduating and so many people trying to get a job in LE my work is definelty cut out for me. I have an appointment with ITT Tech on Wednesday as well to speak about thier CJ program. I appreciate your help and advice THANK YOU

Comment

Re: A ? about Seeking Job (Hills, Pasco, Pinellas, Hernando)

Originally posted by LadyLawman
                      Hello
                      I am a recent PHCC ( Pasco-Hernando Community College) Basic Recruit Graduate. I am currently seeking employment and have applied with a few agencies so far. I read a thread on someone who is frustrated and seeking employment as well and noticed that he mentioned they told him corrections may be a better start. While I was in the Academy, some higher up's with PSO (Pasco) said the needed Detention Deputies and were offering us possible employment if we took a crossover. My question is since most of you are in LE, is it better to start in Detention? Truthfully my heart is in patrol but if this is my only opportunity to get a foot in the door I guess I should take it. What do you think?
                      Lady,

Do any agencies do any recruiting throught the school?
                      Made ya look!!!

Comment

Re: Re: A ? about Seeking Job (Hills, Pasco, Pinellas, Hernando)

Originally posted by jorkassyd
                        Lady,

Do any agencies do any recruiting throught the school?
                        They may do "recruiting," but they're all looking for certified LEOs
                        If it wasn't for STUPID PEOPLE I'd be unemployed.

Comment

Truthfully none of the agencies recruited aside from then in big need of Detention Deputies. I know Pasco is in the process of a new 512 bed center for their Land O Lakes jail. That is the reason they offered us to do a crossover academy to corrections. Most agencies that will recruit will do it by sponsoring you in the academy basically paying your tuition and weekly paycheck while your in the academy. I do know Hillsborough was doing that about 2 months after I started the academy. I am not sure if they are still recruiting for that but you can look into it here is the link.

http://www.hcso.tampa.fl.us/RandS/index.html

Comment

LE is even more competitive in S. FL. I agree with Patrick 100%. In Broward you cannot even go to the academy unless you are hired. Works much better that way. A lot of agencies hire people and put them through the academy. To give you a rough idea, there are 4-5 academies a year with 40+ each. All hired and uncertified. The class I was in had only a few people with more than a HS diploma. We started with 42 and ended with 38. Those 4 all left by choice except one, which was due to an injury. Corrections is a rough gig, but chances of them putting you on the road in 2 years is slim to none. Remember all of the people b4 you that the same promise was made to. They are hoping to get you in, and then you will not leave b/c of the pay and the bennies. Remember your certification is good STATEWIDE. Try usacops.com and get the departments by county. Apply to as many departments as you want in a county at a time. Keep in mind though the cost to travel and test can get up there. Do your research about places you would be willing to relocate to. Don't ever give up. A lot of being hired is being in the right place at the right time.
                            In law enforcement, the customer is ALWAYS wrong.

In God we trust. Everyone else is run through NCIC.

Sometimes there is justice. Sometimes there is just us.

I'd rather be tried by 12 then carried by 6.

The opinions given in my posts do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only.

Comment

Re: A ? about Seeking Job (Hills, Pasco, Pinellas, Hernando)

Originally posted by LadyLawman
                              Hello
                              doing 2 year's in the county jail is good for any officer,

probably 50% or more in my agency started inthe jail and most

will tell you that they learned a lot about the criminal

element than any officer who went st8t to the road.

www.schackdaddy.com
                              " if you talk in your sleep, don't mention my name....
                              " if you walk in your sleep, forget where you came....

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7805 users online. 439 members and 7366 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X