300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need advice on Background and NYSP

Well, for all you NYSP Hopefuls, I can tell you that if you didn't get a medical letter yet, consider yourselves lucky, because I got my DQ letter last week. When I got it, I was more shocked than angry because my BI told me that everything looked great. To his credit, he did say that the final decision is not up to him but to the people in Albany. However, I was commented numerous times on my background, and didn't have any problems. Never arrested, Attained my B.A., did a little pot in HighSchool, nothing serious. Even had some volunteer work and community service on my resume. Going over it, I finally came to what I believe is the reason why I got DQed, traffic tickets. In my junior year of college, I decided to commute and save money. I live an hour away from the school and it was my first time driving back and forth as when I lived on campus I didn't need a car. Needless to say, I got 4 tickets that year (2003). Two for speeding, 1 for red light and 1 for not signaling lane change. That's it. All were pleaded down to parking violations and one to 2 points on license. Nothing at all in 2004 and I plan on never getting another ticket again. My question is, with this driving record, will anyone hire me? I didn't decide on being a cop until my senior year (This Year) so I never realized how much this would impact me. Do I just have to wait a few years and reapply? Any help or advice appreciated and no tickets you guys (!), take it from me.

Did you only apply to NYSP? Apply everywhere if you truely want the job. Don't think you didn't get hired because of your tickets...my best friend when applying had a record out the butt..but he still got hired on with us!!

You just have to look at in as many ways as possible. One way is, maybe because you are a male, race sometimes plays a part, but they cannot tell you. Did they DQ you from ever applying again? Etc...
    "An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded."

Comment

I was wondering that too....did they dq you for the next exam? What did your DQ letter say? Perminatly DQ? Cause I got DQ this past Feb...I wrote letters, requests (the only thing I didnt try is the Freedom of Information act) on my backround, employment records. They sent me a letter stateing they can not tell me. I am curious to know. Also, I dont think your driving record has anything to do with it. Top

Comment

Well, I didn't get DQed permanently. I have the letter at my house but from what I can remember it was more of a "Police process is hard...Please don't inquire as to the nature of your DQ." Which is very frustrating because I'd at least want to know why so I could work on that area. Irishlad, your advice has kept my spirit, i'm going to continue applying. I have heard of people with arrests becoming police officers so I guess there's hope. I just worry about applying to alot of places and just having a string of rejections following me around when I put in my next app. But I've heard that some people get rejected 15 - 20 times before landing a job, so I don't know. A friend told me to try and get a job in Corrections or Dispatch to at least be in and around the field and for the experience. But from what I gather on the boards here, doesn't sound like a good idea. So many people hate Corrections and say it won't get you out on the road for a long time. So, I guess I'll keep applying and see what happens. Topgun, you're probably right, driving might not have anything to do with it, but I just thought that since NYSP is a very driving oriented policing dept. they might have seen my record and DQed me. Also, did you get DQed Permanently?

Comment

Well with me I covered my bases and applied for this past March exam. I was processing in October of last year up until Feb this year. I recieved a letter stateeing QD and get tell you why. A couple days later I recieved a letter saying Thank you but no thank you, you were just DQ and here is your refund. There are 2 different kinds of DQ's. Permenat and temp dq.....Felony = Permenate....temp DQ = a mess up on the application somewhere. Atleast that what Albany told me. Next thing I knew I can never apply to NYSP again (granted they give the test every 4 years or so, the March exam was the last one for me to take since i was 29).

Comment

IMO, the DQ was probably because of your traffic record unless there are other things in your background that you aren't telling us. Four traffic tickets in a year is a lot, especially for an agency of very high standards, which I'm sure the NYSP is. Getting four tickets only a year ago would most likely DQ you here as well.

I'd suggest that you apply to some of the smaller agencies around, or maybe some larger ones that do lots of hiring (NYPD comes to mind). You could always get a job in corrections or dispatch, but I'd try other police departments before I did that.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 17113 users online. 539 members and 16574 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X