300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Move from Ohio to Florida?

Anyone make the move from Ohio to Florida? I am looking for information about the OPOTA Certification's compatability in florida. Will I have to repeat the whole Academy?

The following link explains the FDLE's Comparative Compliance requirements:

http://www.fdle.state.fl.us/cjst/Off...uivalency.html

You're good to go as long as you've been a full-time LEO for more than a year. Also keep in mind that down here, law enforcement and corrections are two different certifications (not sure how it is in Ohio). If you went through a police academy but have been serving as a jail deputy for the past year, your experience won't count.

If you qualify, you'll have to go through a short course (3-4 weeks) and then take the state exam.

Comment

Thank You for that info... Looks like I qualify. I guess I just have to weigh my options now.

Comment

You should only have to complete a 120 hour equivalency of training course and then take the state exam.
        If it wasn't for STUPID PEOPLE I'd be unemployed.

Comment

Allergic to snow and cold weather !!

HEY !!!! I'm in Michigan and I'm ready to move to Florida !!! (Not that this is related to your original posting.) I've been looking for some advice on what area(s) to look at. I need to be near the coast and preferably the Gulf coast. Anyone with any advice or job prospects, please send them my way! I'm a 7 1/2 year veteran here in Michigan. Is that going to help me out getting a job in Florida ?
          Thanks !
          "Smalltown"

Comment

Moving to Florida

The Vero Beach Police Department, Vero Beach Florida is looking for quality certified law enforcement officers to serve the citizens of Vero Beach. Candidates for employment must:

-Be least 19 years old.
            -Have or be able obtain a Florida Drivers license.
            -Possess a two year degree OR at least 30 college credits coupled with two years of honorable, active duty military service
            -Be a non-smoker

Officers who are certified in another state may qualify for Florida's Equivalency Training program as a means to obtain a Florida law enforcement certification. For more information on this program, go to:

http://www.fdle.state.fl.us/cjst/Off...uivalency.html

To see if you qualify, Contact:

Director Larry Lawson
            Police Selection Center
            Indian River Community College
            3209 Virginia Avenue
            Ft. Pierce, Florida 34981-5599
            (772) 462-4760
            e-mail: [email protected]

Officers who qualify for the Equivalency Training Program may be given a Temporary Employment Authorization (TEA) and work full time as a Vero Beach Police Officer until completing the program. Officers hired prior to completing the program will receive the recruit salary until passing the state exam. Training and state exam fee are paid by the City of Vero Beach.

The Vero Beach Police Departments hiring process is as follows:

-Application review
            -Oral Interview (a panel consisting of 5 members)
            -Physical fitness test
            -Polygraph exam
            -Background investigation
            -Psychological exam and interview
            -Physical (including EKG, lumbar X-ray and drug screen)

Current salaries and other benefits are:

-$29,000.00 per year (recruit)
            -$33,362.00 per year (base, certified officer)
            -$35,030.10 per year (base, after first year)
            -$37,500.00 per year (base, after two years).
            -$50 per month additional for certified breath test operators
            -$84 per month additional for certified EMT
            Last edited by kmt; 12-13-2004, 06:43 AM.

Comment

Re: Allergic to snow and cold weather !!

Originally posted by Smalltown
              HEY !!!! I'm in Michigan and I'm ready to move to Florida !!! (Not that this is related to your original posting.) I've been looking for some advice on what area(s) to look at. I need to be near the coast and preferably the Gulf coast. Anyone with any advice or job prospects, please send them my way! I'm a 7 1/2 year veteran here in Michigan. Is that going to help me out getting a job in Florida ?
              Thanks !
              Personally, I think you're smart in looking at the gulf coast. There are some great agencies around here, especially in the Tampa Bay area. Most agencies require you to have a Florida certification before you can begin the application process, but some do not. Do you know what type of agency you'd like to work for and in what part of the area? Large? Small? County? City?

Comment

Well, I have spent about 6 spring break type vacations with my wife and kids in the Manatee County area. That would probably be my first choice. I had a job offering from Manatee County (Jail) about 7 years ago and turned it down due to "Government Funding." I think I really want to look at Sheriff Offices first. I have applied in Collier County and Lee County. I'm not familar with Collier. I did buy and sell a couple of city lots in Cape Coral, So I've been there about three times. Currently I work for a small city of about 5,000. There are times when the activity is extremely slow. (Mayberry)

I would consider any position. I've been contemplating this move for all of 7 years. (And my lack of doing it when I had the job offering from Manatee Co.) DOOHHHH!!!

Thanks for the reply. :-)
                "Smalltown"

Comment

Cape Coral is the fastest growing city in Florida. Both Lee County and CCPD are good departments. Collier is also a good agency, however the cost of living down there is a bit higher than in Lee County. If you'd like a large metro area, Hillsborough County is full of good law enforcement agencies, both large and small.

Keep in mind that if you take a job in detention and have been working as a police officer, you'll have to go through the entire corrections academy down here.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 19498 users online. 513 members and 18985 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X