300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving south....

Hey there everyone! I am a newbie to this board and I have some questions about moving south. I am a recent college graduate from Minnesota and I am looking to get hired on by a couple of different departments. Specifically, departments in Florida, Arizona, Cali. and Texas. Being that some of you are seasoned veterans, I value the experience that you people have and would like to hear some things about the south. I have been there (vacations) but never to live. I am just wondering about the pro's and con's of the south. Also, there are polygraphs involved with some of the departments. Now, my past isn't perfect by any stretch of the imagination. However, I have never been convicted of anything. Most of my trouble is from when I was about 13-15 years old. I am 25 (almost 26) now.... anyone know what kind of questions they end up asking at the polygraph? Thanks for the help too everyone. See you guys around.
    "...and that was the second time I had crabs."
    "Stinks like sex in here."

not a LEO yet, but having met a lot of people that move down here to florida from up north, don't forget about the temperature change. it's hot. growing up here i'm used to it and some days it still gets me. it's not a decision maker, just be aware of it. hate for you to come down here to work and live then decide you don't like how hot it gets...and it's about 7-9 months of the year it's like that too.

Comment

yeah i understand about the heat. It blew my mind when I was in florida in the first weeks of March and it was 85 with like 100% humidity and there was a blizzard back home in MN. I think I will be able to handle it.... hopefully. But does anyone have anything to say about the polygraph tests they give? Anyone go through that?
      "...and that was the second time I had crabs."
      "Stinks like sex in here."

Comment

Florida is awesome for the most part: great scenery, the gulf of mexico, excellent fishing, warm weather, and lots of eye candy. However, it is the old fart capital of the USA. I couldn't tell you how many tens of thousands of drivers are over the age of 85. Get used to investigating traffic crashes when these motoring mummies drive through store fronts, run over pedestrians, and generally wreak havoc on the rest of the motoring public. If you can get used to the heat, traffic, and people that have no business being behind a steering wheel anymore, then Florida is great. It's a good trade-off when you look at the whole picture.
        If it wasn't for STUPID PEOPLE I'd be unemployed.

Comment

Polygraphs:

Questions about drug use, honesty on your application, and undetected criminal activity. Depending on the agency, they can be very in-depth or somewhat broad. Something that you did as a young teen is most likely not going to effect your chances of getting hired, unless it was a serious felony.

Comment

Add in the high cost of living in Florida - something to consider if you plan on living comfortably on $40K/year here.

Comment

Moving south=Arizona

I would highly recommend that you come and check out Arizona. Every department is hiring. Good pay, low cost of living, an overall a good place for living. It can get around 110 degrees in the summer but there is no humidity. Yes it is hot but trust me, it does not feel the same as the southeast. If you like the snow and cool tempetures, northern Arizona has that. I have a friend who works for Flagstaff PD and loves it. Send me an email if you have any questions and want to know about any departments here.

Comment

Having been a Police Officer in Dallas years ago, I would recommend that you give some consideration there. A low cost of living helps to offset the lower pay and their equipment (at least in the past) was almost always cutting edge stuff! (I think they like spending their money on cars, equipment and gadgets more than salaries.)

Dallas has an expedited out-of-state hiring process, great training, a solid national reputation and about 3,000 sworn Officers on the department. I miss the city and hope someday to move back.

Hope this helps.

Puffy
                Last edited by Puffy6460; 12-31-2004, 01:58 PM.

Comment

I'm almost done with the process for AZ DPS. There are quite the number of departments in AZ that are hiring, especially in the valley. Their testing process is pretty straight forward and if your testing from out of state (I'm from New England, looking to move there, just waiting on the call from the HR analyst) they are very accomodating. I did the written/physical/oral in the span of 3 days. Then the Poly, Psyche, Medical, and a ride-a-long consolidated into 3 days also.

As for the polygraph questions, they are all very straight forward. Just be honest. The only question that threw me off was when they asked "Have you ever had sex with an animal?" I looked at the guy, "WTF" He says it's a yes or no only! "NO"

Hey anyways,
                  Good Luck

Comment

Good luck BillC313

If you are that far you should be good to go. DPS is a great department. Tons of specialty areas to work. The only bad thing is that the pay is one of the lowest in the valley. Most local agencies are making more. However you do get a take home car. If you have any questions about the academy or anything else let me know. Good luck.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 17742 users online. 483 members and 17259 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X