Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oral Interview-Advice ?

Hello all,
    I'm scheduled to take my first oral interview this Wed. Dec. 1st. I'm real nervous but I think im prepared. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Btw its with my local sheriffs dept. I applied for entry level so they would be sending me to the academy.

hell man, i have been through a ton of interviews. Just walk in confident. Act like you own everyone in that place. Body language is huge. Just be confident. I can't stress that enough. Good Luck too!!!!
    "...and that was the second time I had crabs."
    "Stinks like sex in here."

Comment

ORAL BOARD

THE KEY TO ORAL BOARDS IS LIKE THE OTHERS HAVE SAID CONFIDENCE, BUT ALSO REMEMBER WHEN ANSWERING QUESTIONS THINK BEFORE YOU SPEAK AND DONT READ TO MUCH INTO THE QUESTION. IF YOU KEEP THESE THINGS IN MIND YOU'LL DO FINE

Comment

Here's a few helpful threads I found (ran a search for "oral board"):

http://officer.proteus.com/forums/sh...threadid=23888

http://officer.proteus.com/forums/sh...threadid=23206

http://officer.proteus.com/forums/sh...threadid=21884

I agree about being confident during the interview. Remember it's confidence, but not cockiness. Be sincere & honest when you reply to their questions. Bring your "A" game - best suit & tie, look squared away, etc. Do a little background on the agency as well (ie - population size, demographics, Sheriff's name, etc).

Be prepared for some of the "typical" questions:

Why do you want to work in LE? What makes you think you will be a good officer? Do you get along with people who have different opinions than you? Would you be able to take the life of another human being in the line of duty? Do you: cheat, steal, do drugs, etc.

Most likely you'll also be asked a few scenario questions as well. These can vary, but just answer them as best as you can based on what you think is the right answer...g'luck!
        Officer Down Memorial Page

Comment

Study is my advice. I had a multi-page document of possible questions that I found from on-line sites, asking friends, and even asking other officers. Then I would answer them the best I could, or go look elsewhere if I needed help.

My oral boards are basically what got me hired. My written scores were OK...but the oral boards bumped me from the middle of the pack to the front.

So just like any other "test"...study away !
          RIP Sgt. Henry Prendes...EOW 2/1/06
          RIP Off. James Manor...EOW 5/7/09
          RIP Ofc. Milburn "Millie" Beitel...EOW 10/7/09
          RIP Ofc. Trevor Nettleton...EOW 11/19/09
          RIP Ofc. Daniel Leach...EOW 11/21/09

Comment

Hey deathhob, just wanted to see how you made out with your Oral Boards. Hope everything worked out for you.

Comment

Well...
              I took my interview last Wed. It was 3 people, an Lt. a Sgt. and a HR guy. When I got there they gave me the 3 questions to review and take notes on.
              The first was:
              You and your partner are patrolling a farmers market. Your partner takes a piece of fruit and walks off.
              My answer: Confront him about it and ask if maybe he forgot to pay. If not advise him to go back and pay for it. If not I'd let him know that I was gonna tell a Sup. and have him do it before I did. I told the panel that I wouldnt want a dishonest partner working beside me.
              2:Your working the jail, The inmates are on recreation time, The bell or whatever goes off letting the inmates know its time to go back to their cells. One inmate refuses.
              My answer: Call for backup and follow whatever departmental procedure follows. If we have to physically grab the inmate and bring him back then thats would we would have to do.
              3:You and your partner are dispatched to a silent alarm at a warehouse. Upon arrival you notice a back door is open, You enter the building, While investigating the scene dispatch advises of a domestic in progress and no other units are available. Dispatch further advises that a neighbor called in and said he heard a woman screaming at the domestic.
              My answer: Leave the warehouse immidiately. Life is always more valuable than property.

So that was it. They asked other questions, But I made sure I looked em in the eye each time they asked a question and remained calm.

I recieved a letter today informing me of my results. I got a score of 88 out of 100. Im ranked 28 on the eligible list. Im happy

Comment

Nice work!!
                They only asked you three questions?

Comment

No. They asked some follow up questions after the initial scenerio questions. After the scenerios they asked me some basic questions that I think get asked in most oral boards like, If you have to take someones life in the line of duty would you ? and how do you think you would feel afterwards ?
                  I don't remember most of the questions already :-/.
                  They asked a few more though.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 12118 users online. 394 members and 11724 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X