300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Florida Age

I have noticed that some of the Police depts. in Florida have a minimum age of 19 years old to apply for police officer. I was wondering why the age is so low.

I am not exactly sure but even though Florida statutes say that the minimum age is 19 most agencies require you to be 21.

Comment

A lot of agencies (like mine) can't always get a large number of applicants. Our pay is low for the area. We do hire people who are 19. Some are mature enough to make it, some aren't and end up being asked to leave. On the other end of the spectrum, we also hire people to be sworn deputies when they are already retired from other agencies. I've seen guys who were 48 and 50 get hired and stay with us for 10 years. I'll never understand the states that won't allow someone to be hired as a cop after they turn 35. We prefer to hire people with life experience.
      "I didn't expect the Spanish Inquisition."

Comment

age 19

lot's of sheriff's offices's will hire you to work in their jail's
        where you may be more closely supervised.
        you'll get the same excitement, bumps and bruise's if not more
        than riding in a patrol car, plus you'll do the same exact paper work
        for just about every kind of non- capital crimes.
        ya do everything except write traffic tickets.
        " if you talk in your sleep, don't mention my name....
        " if you walk in your sleep, forget where you came....

Comment

State statute says you can be hired at 19, but you still will not be able to buy your gun or ammo... you will have to have mommy or daddy get it for you since you are not 21. Most agencies that I know of will not hire you unless you are 21 years old.

CFP where do you work?
          In law enforcement, the customer is ALWAYS wrong.

In God we trust. Everyone else is run through NCIC.

Sometimes there is justice. Sometimes there is just us.

I'd rather be tried by 12 then carried by 6.

The opinions given in my posts do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only.

Comment

Volusia County SO in Daytona Beach. We hire 19 year olds as deputies and we don't have the jail. They go straight to the road.

Comment

Originally posted by CFPython
              Volusia County SO in Daytona Beach. We hire 19 year olds as deputies and we don't have the jail. They go straight to the road.
              you guys have a hard time hiring people? i heard daytona is a happening town. i work with another sgt who used to work for daytona pd. he said he wouldve stayed if it werent for his old lady.
              "The American public will find it refreshing to see a Republican candidate, who's not a moralistic, sexually repressed, crusading hypocrite, who cruises airport men's rooms late at night."
              William Shatner

Comment

There's a lot of guys on Daytona PD who are wondering if they'll have jobs much longer. The city is in bad financial straits. The politicians have horribly mismanaged it. A lot of rumors floating around that the SO may contract to provide law enforcement for the city in a few years. We are already providing contract law enforcement for three cities in the county including the most highly populated (Deltona at about 80,000 people). The sheriff's office has also taken over providing communications to about eight of the cities. Daytona Beach just signed on for that. Give it a few more years and we may be a metro agency like Jacksonville SO. That being said, our pay rates are much lower than neighboring counties (Seminole, Brevard and Orange). A starting Sgt. in Orange County makes about $20,000 more a year than a new Sgt. here does. We constantly lose personnel to higher paying departments just a few miles away. There's no industry in this county so the tax base is very low. If it were'nt for the beach and the speedway there wouldn't be anything here. We don't have a problem hiring people, we have a problem keeping people.

Comment

We don't have a problem hiring people, we have a problem keeping people.
                  its a nasty cycle. they wont have the money to pay more if they keep having to spend money hiring and training new guys. but if they dont pay more, the guys they hire and train wont stay. its like what comes first? the chicken or the egg?
                  "The American public will find it refreshing to see a Republican candidate, who's not a moralistic, sexually repressed, crusading hypocrite, who cruises airport men's rooms late at night."
                  William Shatner

Comment

CFPython,
                    As of now no one in DBPD is worried about losing their job. There are 14 positions open and those positions will just remain frozen. There was a rumor floating around that some non sworn positions may be eliminated.

Im wondering what it will be like come October when dispatch is turned over to the SO. Will take some getting used to. I know some DBPD dispatchers wont be making the transition.

Where im from (A galaxy far far away) one agency handled the policing for the whole county with the exception of just a few township agencies. Going metro may not be a bad thing.
                    "The price one pays for pursuing any profession, or calling, is an intimate knowledge of its ugly side."
                    .....James Baldwin
                    American Author.

Comment

I work for Leon County S.O. (tallahassee) And the sheriff here is also pushing to go Metro. I'm new in this field so I dont fully understand the big picture but I hear that we would get paid a lot more than now. I dont know if it will happen or not though. Tallahassee P.D. seems to be a stable, if not very strong, agency. But in turn, the Sheriff is friends with a lot of important people. So we will have to see.

Comment

Baker54; probably a third of the Daytona PD guys I worked BCR with asked me about the rumors of us taking over their PD. Both agencies are represented by the Teamsters, so we talk quite a bit. Perhaps "worried" was a bit strong of a word, but there are a lot of them concerned that if it happens their retirement pensions may get FUBAR. No one is sure if their pension system could roll into Fla State Retirement (I doubt it). Personally I hope we don't take Daytona. I was a city cop before, and would prefer to stay out in the county. They can keep the 'hood and all it's problems. It would not surprise me though to see the SO build it's empire just like Broward has. As cities realize the savings by contracting with an SO, they seem to keep jumping on the bandwagon.

Comment

No one is sure if their pension system could roll into Fla State Retirement (I doubt it).
                          the pensions will roll into each other. thats how its done down here when BSO takes over a city department. thats why BSO has been so successful in getting rank and file to agree to a merger.
                          William Shatner

Comment

I remember when the SO dispatching for us was just a rumor.
                            One thing ive learned with this agency is that a majority of rumors come true.
                            I think it would be a few years if it were to happen.
                            They would probably keep those who have been working it all the long over here. I wouldnt mind it id have a take home car
                            "The price one pays for pursuing any profession, or calling, is an intimate knowledge of its ugly side."
                            .....James Baldwin
                            American Author.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9890 users online. 474 members and 9416 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X