300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• chapter 13 bankruptcy

This is a question for any background investigators out there. My wife and I had to file for chpt 13 a little over 2 yrs ago. We did this as a last resort to keep our house after she lost her job as a travel agent and the overtime at my job was cut out. My question is, whether or not this will disqualify me for a law enforcement job when the background check is performed? I have some law enforcement experience, I have been through a police academy and worked for the Dallas County Sheriff's Dept for 3 1/2 years as a detention service officer before resigning for my current job. I want get back into a L.E. career but i'm wondering because of my credit situation if I'am wasting my time. Any advice or comments is greatly appreciated.

The bankrupcy itself shouldn't disqulify you in most dept's, but it depends on their standards and they usually don't give those out. The reason you filed, the circumstances surrounding it, and your credit re-building and level of responsibility afterwards weigh heavily. For example, someone who is single and loads up 3 or 4 credit cards, buys a car above their level of income, and is consistently late on bill payments (which lead to the bankrupcy) shows a lack of self discipline..which says a ton about your character.

On the flipside, if a person has a tragic event or a business fails which leads to the bankrupcy AND then slowly re-builds the credit by spending wisely and paying all debts on time is in a much better light.

Bankrupcy is a question of applicants because it is an important factor in the larger picture of your entire history that shows what type of person you are...If the dept and investigator are doing their job correctly, then the big picture is what they will look at: a great candidate with everything good except for 1 bankrupcy 10 years ago vs. one who did some drugs, got convicted of a petty theft, had a borderline psych eval, and 1 bankrupcy - get it?

Comment

Thanks for the input, it put a few worries to rest. We only filed because of an income loss and then a another cut in pay that we had for an already tight budget. We were not trying to live beyond our means or anything like that. I hope, as you said, that when an investigator does do a background check that he/she will look at the whole picture and not just this one black mark. I would also like to include that this type of bankruptcy does not let you get out of paying your debts, we make monthly payments to a trustee that in turns sends a portion of that payment to each of our debtors. We have not missed a payment on this or our house. Will they look at this as a positve aspect of a bad situation?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6861 users online. 283 members and 6578 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
      Working...
      X