300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leadership positions in the academy

I've been told by most LEOs with whom I've spoken that due to my military experience it is very likely that I'll be offered a leadership position within the academy that I am entering as a self sponsor. Where they differ is if it will be helpful towards my getting hired. One sergeant who has had a lot of contact with me in a class he taught recommends I stay away from any position of higher visibility and stay in the background, focusing on my own stuff. However, a TO at the academy who is working for a local department as an FTO said that a leadership position is a great way to stand out in job applications and will help my evaluations as long as I don't make an *** of myself, which I won't. Any other views? Thanks.

I took class leader in my class for the first few months and then resigned the position when my work schedule (went from 5/8's to 6/12's) required too much of me. I requested squad leader after than and just act as the new class leaders right hand man. I think squad leader is about the best position in the whole academy. Class leader takes a lot of time away from studying but squad leader rocks.
    "Respect for religion must be reestablished. Public debt should be reduced. The arrogance of public officials must be curtailed. Assistance to foreign lands must be stopped or we shall bankrupt ourselves. The people should be forced to work and not depend on government for subsistence." - Cicero, 60 B.C.

For California police academy notes go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/

Comment

Fortunately I don't have to work during the academy. I personally can't see how someone could do that - with classes from 8-5 plus PT 3 days a week, studying, and additional practical events, not to mention a 45 minute one way commute, I wouldn't get any sleep at all.

Comment

I'm in an extended academy, 10.5 months long 3 or 4 days a week so far and now ramping up to 5 days a week. My commute is nearly 3.5 hours to work so I'm pretty much not going to sleep until November when I graduate. It will all be worth it when I get to move to DFW next year and start on the career of my passion.
        "Respect for religion must be reestablished. Public debt should be reduced. The arrogance of public officials must be curtailed. Assistance to foreign lands must be stopped or we shall bankrupt ourselves. The people should be forced to work and not depend on government for subsistence." - Cicero, 60 B.C.

For California police academy notes go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/

Comment

If you're hired already, being class prez or class slapdick does not matter. If you are looking to get hired after the acadmey then it may.

My department just fired a probationary officer. He was his class president. What's the point? You will find the dumbest guy could end up as your Sgt, or as a Detective, or something, and the smartest is a ****bird.

You will make your rep when you start catching calls and working the mean streets of wherever.
          Semper Fi

Comment

Well, I do need a job, so I'll take what I can get. It turns out it wasn't an issue - for whatever reason I wasn't offered any position at all. No problem, I've been focusing on my own stuff, so there's a positive side. We got a discussion about the three groups of cops - the active ones, the passive ones, and the guys who hide. I can't imagine being one of the last two groups - I'll make my rep when I hit the street. I just need to get hired in the meantime!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8538 users online. 382 members and 8156 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X