Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• L-1
    replied
    In California, you must either be a citizen or have applied for citizenship and be within a year or two of getting it (I don't remember how long exactly) before you can be appointed as a peace officer. However, there is another consideration most foreign police candidates miss.

When you become a peace officer (or just about any American government employee) you are required to take a loyalty oath. In that oath, you pledge to defend the US and its Constitution against all enemies, foreign and domestic. Technically speaking, that means if the US and your country ever go to war, you are now pledged to wage war against your home country on behalf of the United States. Under the laws of most countries, waging war against your home country is usually considered to be treason.

While the likelihood of that ever happening is minimal, the whole point is that countries take it very seriously when their citizens pledge their allegiance to another nation. If you look at the United States Code, you will find that one of the criteria for taking citizenship away from a natural born US citizen is that they have sworn an oath of allegiance to a foreign government. With this in mind, foreign candidates for US police jobs need to check the laws of their home countries very carefully to ensure that taking the US loyalty oath will not cost them their citizenship or create other legal repercussions for them.

Leave a comment:

• maxtalbot
    replied
    Canadian Police officer

G'day,

I am a Canadian Police officer, I work for 1000 member service in a really busy area and due to the lack of senority in uniform division I have now been a coach officer ( I guess it's called FTO in the US) for the last year and have coached 3 rookies. I have a little over 4yrs on the job and have done well for myself.
    There is a good chance that I will have to move to NYC due to my Fiancee's employment...... I am a Candian citizen therfore I am not sure what procedures that I will have to go thru in order to obtain a job as a police officer with the NYPD......Can anyone offer any advise please, helpfull websites or know of any Canadians that have crossed over?????......

Thanks in advance and be safe out there....

Canadian Copper.....

Leave a comment:

• pedlar
    replied
    both of you guys were very helpful, thanks alot for the knowlege.

Leave a comment:

• thepowerhouse
    replied
    I can't see, I can't see!!! TO MUCH EGO IN THIS THREAD!!!!!!

Leave a comment:

• co911
    replied
    Dagnabbit USA you are right! Citizenship is NOT required in my area of the country. And a few others as well. I'm quite happy to come to the rescue, I guess having a law degree and having been hired from overseas gave me a little insight into the process huh? Who would have thought...

Vegasroy, the application may only ask about state residency, but state law (POST) requires a peace officer to be a US citizen.

Leave a comment:

• USA
    replied
    ..actually co911, once I got done crying over your hurting my feelings like you did... I did some checking, perhaps in your area U.S. citizenship is not required to app, but that is not the case in BOTH all area's of the country & for all agentcies/depts among the vast amount of federal/state & local LE..it depends on who your applying with, all will require it at some point & maybe thats what I should have said, but..at the federal level I was told is is manditory to even get your app read...so, although I admitt I am not the tower of knowledge & power you claim to be, I was 1/2 right ...or maybe better put for you, 1/2 wrong..thanks for coming to all our rescue though!

Leave a comment:

• Vegasroy
    replied
    The application for C/O does not say anything about US Cit. All it asks is if someone is a Nev resident. I guess no one thought to ask about it. You know what happens when you assume.

Leave a comment:

• thepowerhouse
    replied
    man!! i feel the love in this thread!

Leave a comment:

• co911
    replied
    infinite wisdom

Gee USA, I should apologize huh for not replying straight away. Strangely enough I was at work, you know, catching bad guys? If you don't know about a topic, which here you obviously didn't, why
    reply? Sorry if I hurt your feelings by "blasting" you by the way.

Vegasroy, something must be up at your dept, because NV state law requires a peace officer to be a US citizen.
    Last edited by co911; 06-29-2004, 03:08 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Vegasroy
    replied
    I work with a Scot and an Englishman. I know that the Scot does not have her Citezenship (i know that is mispelled) papers yet. Our Dept only requires a DL. Once you get in for 2 years you can put in a lateral for city corrections and then go to the street. Keep at it, if it is meant to be it will happen.

Leave a comment:

• kirch
    replied
    If that's what you're getting north of the border, what makes you think you'll hear anything different down here? Though there are some departments that will hire non-US citizens, they aren't in the majority. And you'd need to bring something special to the table that they can't get locally to have a decent chance at a position.

I would suggest either continuing to apply up there (eventually you'll have the life experience and age they're looking for) or moving down here and working towards your US citizenship. Either way, it's likely to be a while before you find a job. But be patient -- you've got 40+ years to fit in a career.

Leave a comment:

• pedlar
    replied
    hey guys i really appreciate the replies. i have been applying in Canada and the common response is that i am too young and lack life experience. And i really like the US. But thanks again for the info i was starting to think that no one was going to reply.

Leave a comment:

• USA
    replied
    >>..pretty sure<< >>not to say they dont/wont<<
    keywords here co911, ...maybe you should have offered your infinite wisdom 3 days ago when this post went up, instead of blasting the only reply it got, after the fact..ya ooppps!

Leave a comment:

• co911
    replied
    plenty

"pretty sure most all dept's in the U.S. ,require U.S. citizen status to even apply".

And you would be wrong. There are sheriff's offices, police depts and state POST boards which do not require US citizenship, or even US residency. There is no federal law requiring that a police applicant be a US citizen or US resident.

"If not, they do require U.S. Social Security number, residency, etc".

Oops, wrong again. A social security number is a federal requirement after someone becomes a US resident, not a state/county'/local law enforcement requirement. There is no federal requirement for a LE applicant to have a SSN, to be be a US resident, or even a state resident.

US LE depts will sponsor non-US citizens pedlar, but you better have Canadian LE experience in addition to your other qualifications before you apply. PM me for more info.

Leave a comment:

• USA
    replied
    ..pretty sure most all dept's in the U.S. ,require U.S. citizen status to even apply. If not, they do require U.S. Social Security number, residency, etc. Also not sure if your credentials would apply laterally over here, since standards & such are different, not to say they dont/wont, just that competition for LEO jobs in the U.S. is steep, even for those that are perfect U.S. applicants, your situation will certainly be more then a simple obstacle even if....the question probably everyone here is thinking is: why are you not trying/testing/interested in a LEO job in your neck of the woods??
    USA

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5268 users online. 205 members and 5063 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X