300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tampa PD?

I am an SC certified officer. My wife and I are thinking about moving to the Tampa area. I was wondering if anyone knows about Tampa PD. I see they pay pretty well but I was wondering how the PD is to work for. Having worked for two other agencies I know every department has its problems. Also is the housing affordable or the area real expensive for a cop and teacher to live? Also are their any surrounding agencies that are good? Thanks for your time.

TPD has a pretty good rep in the the area and most of the officers I talk to seem real happy there. I work for Hillsborough county and you should definitley check us out good pay good, good equipment, and good supervisors. Housing is affordable if you take your time and look around. in some of the outlying areas you can get a 3 bed/ 2 bath 2 car garage for aroun 120- 130k. If you get specific q's just ask.

Comment

Crowe,
      Thanks for the info I will check out Hillsborough S.O. Are they union and how are the schools in the area? Thanks again.

Comment

We justed voted the union in about Jan san it has not really taken off yet and as far as schools do your research the y range from very very good to unbelieavibly horrible.

Comment

hey johnny, let me throw this one back too ya. Im visa versa. I work for a sheriff's office here in Florida, but really want to work fro either Lexington Co. SC sheriff's office or Richland CO. (prefably Lexingon Co.) whats SC like? will they except florida standards?

Comment

Powerhouse
            SC should accept FL's academy. You will have attend a two week legals course that the department pays for. You may have to attend an additional week for driver's training depending on whether they teach pursuit driving in FL. There is only one academy in the whole state and that is in Columbia but if you go to either of those depts you are right there. I know Richland Co is a real high speed dept and the sheriff is well liked from a a couple of guys I know who are employed there. I really don't know much about Lexington Co but I have been told that Columbia PD is not a great place to work. If I can answer any more questions let me know. By the way, what is the cost to attend the FL academy for someone certified in another state?

Comment

johnny, i dont know man. I know the cost for someone without being certified anywhere, and thats about $1800. But in your case, I have no idea. Sorry I couldnt help any.

Comment

Cost

Johnny,
                I am certified in GA and transford my cert. to FL. It Cost me around 1000.00 dallors (gas, food etc.). You could save money if you can stay with someone and go to the 2 week course.
                When I went through in May (04) there was a guy in my class from MA and he stayed in a hotel it cost him over 900.00 dollars just for that.
                If you have VA benefits they will help you with the cost also.
                I hope this helps. If you have any more questions let me know.
                Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. - Sydney J. Harris

Comment

tcode3,
                  Thanks for the info. Do any of the depts reimburse for the two week school and should you take the course before you start applying to the FL depts or apply after completion?

Comment

Johnny,
                    It depends on the department there are some that will hire you and pay for the class. Collier County S.O. will and I think Palm Beach County does also.
                    AS far as apply before or after? Well from what I see most(not all) departments want you to have already passed the state test. I would e-mail or call the ones you are looking at and asked what course of action to take.
                    Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. - Sydney J. Harris

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5182 users online. 268 members and 4914 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X