300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• transferring your certification?

Is it possible for an officer to transfer his certification out of state? when you relocate do you have to go through the academy again? I have heard some states only require a 3 or 4 hour course on that states laws if you have been certified in another state. Any information yall could give would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Florida has classes to obtain 'comparative compliance'. We hire a lot of people from other states. They usually go through something in the area of 80-120 hrs of training to get Fla. certified. Several years ago I applied for a position in Connecticut. They wanted me to go through the full academy again. I don't know if it's still that way up there or not.
    "I didn't expect the Spanish Inquisition."

Comment

03, What state are you looking at? I am GA POST certified and I just transford my certification to FL. I plan to move to FL soon.
      I went through Gluf Coast Community College in Panama City. The course was 112 hours,but there is talk about making it shorter.
      If you want you can E-mail me at: [email protected] and I will get you the information for GCC.
      Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. - Sydney J. Harris

Comment

thanks

I appreciate all the feedback. I'm currently certified in Ga. I was looking at the Massachussetts area. I think they are the same as connetticut in regards to going through the academy again.
        Thanks again for the info.

Comment

Re: thanks

Originally posted by creeder_03
          I appreciate all the feedback. I'm currently certified in Ga. I was looking at the Massachussetts area. I think they are the same as connetticut in regards to going through the academy again.
          Thanks again for the info.
          In Mass you would have to attend the full 22 week academy if transfering from out of state. However, you MAY be able to find a non-civil service town that will accept an out of state transfer and you might not have to take the MA academy. Also, all civil service cities and towns in MA have residency preference so it would be very difficult or impossible to get on anywhere here. I will know by Friday if i am starting the academy for Burlington, VT in July... The VT certification is good in most other states so i'm hoping after i do a two year contract out i could look into possibly transfering if i get sick of the cold!

Comment

Depends on the states. I'm certified in CA, but OK won't recognize cause of the experience qualification. Bad news is that I had 870 hours in CA, OK is 326 and I just started going through the OK school last week. Kind of blows. Funny bit is that NM is 800 hours and they honor my CA training.
            "I will not use my patrol car as a desert prerunner unless in pursuit."

Comment

I am about to graduate from an academy in TX, 560hours, but I may have to relocate to Wisconsin for my wife, I'm not sure if they will recognize TX certification or not, looking in to it and will post back just to get out the info.
              “Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer.”- Romans 12:12

Comment

FWIW, I came across the following resource (posted by another board member - K9 Police ). The URL below provides contact information for each state, regarding certification, etc...

http://www.iadlest.org/posts.htm
                Officer Down Memorial Page

Comment

I talked to TX and if you are a CA academy graduate then you only need to take the TCLEOSE exam but many departments still make you go through a TX academy anyway.
                  "Respect for religion must be reestablished. Public debt should be reduced. The arrogance of public officials must be curtailed. Assistance to foreign lands must be stopped or we shall bankrupt ourselves. The people should be forced to work and not depend on government for subsistence." - Cicero, 60 B.C.

For California police academy notes go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/

Comment

in a similar vein, are there any states that accept federal certification without having to go thru the state acadamy? I was certified thru the Customs service, but no one in the state of michigan will hire you without going thru the police acadamy here.
                    Though their numbers are many, as the grass upon the field, we will count them at the end of the day.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9408 users online. 439 members and 8969 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X