300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A New Career

I am currently in the Army serving in Baghdad and will be leaving the military in June 2005. I am wanting a new career in law enforcement and I am looking/requesting advice and wisdom. I am 32 as of Sep 04 and I'm concerned about the age issue. I want to be apart of the Texas State Police team. I have 11 years of active service and no college yet.
    Very Respectfully
    SSG Dingman, Timothy
    3rd BCT, 1st Cavalry Division
    Baghdad, Iraq (Green Zone)

Follow your heart. Don't sweat the age thing unless the agency has a maximum age restriction. As long as your in shape you'll do fine. I was 24 when I got hired. The oldest in my academy class was 51. Ironically he was one of the top recruits in physical fitness. He passed me a couple of times on runs. Be safe brother.....
    "We had gay burglars the other night. They broke in and rearranged the furniture." --Robin Williams.

Comment

More information

I just got married in July 03 and I am wondering how the family life is with a police officer. Do you get to see your family and spend quality family time with them? The benefits look pretty good across the bord with all police stations/services. Some are better than other just by location. How does your family handle you being a police officer and do they enjoy what you do? How is the teamsmanship among police officers and are the families of the officers in contact often (i.e., Family Support Group)? When you are out on the street/at work how do you feel about your family at home? How do I make a good resum'e for the Police Department? How do I prepare myself, other than physically, for the exam, accadamy, and the field? Sorry about all the questions - big career change.
      Very Respectfully
      SSG Dingman, Timothy

Comment

I was already a Deputy when I got married, so my wife knew what she was getting into. One of the best things I did, and some on here will disagree with me on this, but I took my wife on a ride-a-along. Give her a chance to see what you do and what you go through everyday. My wife has first hand experience of what I do. As far as family is concerned, it really depends on what shift you work. Graveyards don't work well with family. If your single, it's the best shift to work, because there are only two types of people up and about at 0300 hours, "cops and dirtbags" so arrests are plentiful. I prefer swing shift but I am currently on days. At my agency we shift bid every six months, which goes by sceneority. I have the luxury of being one of the most senior officer at my station so I can pick pretty much any shift I want. But when I was a new guy, I got what ever was left over, which usually meant graveyards. The best advise I can give you is, Don't bring your work home with you. Leave your bad attitude at work. Pay and benefits are VERY important. If someone says they do it because they like people.....They're full of $hit. As far as a resume. Don't know. Most departments, mine included,(atleast in California) don't except resumes. They go off your application and your background history statement. Most background investigators can care less how good you were, they want to know how bad you were... Improve your writing skills, 75% and plus of your job is going to be writing, so get used to it. Not trying to discourage you, but it is a reality of the job. Decide what you want to do after you get hired. i.e. promote, detectives, traffic, vice, gangs, narco etc. Maybe you might want to stay on the streets. I've been on the streets now for 7 years, and love it. I don't want to be on the street my entire career, but right now I'm having alot fun......Hope this helps
        "We had gay burglars the other night. They broke in and rearranged the furniture." --Robin Williams.

Comment

Tim,
          Your age should not be an issue unless your thinking of persuing a Federal LEO job, then I think your either very close to the cut off for some, or have already passed the limit on others. Most want college of some sort as well. Most local/state PD's do not have an age cut off..something about age discrimination I think..as long as you can pass the quals your fine, I have heard of guys in thier 50's going thru. You have alot of real world experience & leadership you can bring to any dept. so go for it! I also think, for some bigger depts, you can start applying 6 months prior to your clearance date, so you can look into that & begin when it is applicable for you. This puts you ahead of the game when you do get out.
          If your worried about your wife, she's already a mil-wife, having you come home each nite is going to be far better then these 6-18 month deploy's that are so common, she will be fine. The advice above is not bad (ride alongs) better still is any local community/citizens academy, that she can get into, these are a few nites a week for a month or two and she will get good insite into the whole process, get to drive the cars, shoot weapons, learn about bookings, jail, and all other basic process's..most everyone has alot of fun & it could change any negatives she currently has towards this decision of yours. Take it lite brother, HooAh!
          USA

Comment

A real Help

Man I realy appreciate your help. You are very incouraging and I appreciate you much. I am currently filling out an application for the Texas DPS to work for the Texas State Police. How would you recommend improving my writing skills? Does reading help? I read much. How many radios are generally in the cars? I've a problem listening to more that one radio at the same time. I've learned this while in the Army. At the accademy, do the instructors allow one to record their lectures? I have much trouble writing and listening at the same time. So recording may be of help to me to catch the information that I loose while writing. This is one of the reasons I didn't get into Special Forces. Please forgive me if I'm asking too many questions. You guys are such a great help. Man I feel real good about what both have said. I will most assuredly make Officer.com apart of my life. I do pray that I make it and get the job. I've wanted to serve as a police officer all my life.
            Very Respectfully
            SSG Dingman, Timothy

Comment

Tim,
              Not to rain on your good vibe from this thread thus far, but your reading/writting could be a slight issue, if your self-assesment is correct. During the initial testing phases on all depts, you will be given test which include reading comprehension, attention to details of a certain portion of text or picture,report writting, etc. If this is a real concern, I am certain there are ways to improve this, but you will need to seek the advice of persons more qualified in that area. Again, all you can do is try, one piece of advice that has helped me keep going, was to look at all prior test to the one - that actually gets you in - as "good practice"
              Go out when you return to the homeland and get some "Barrons" books on entry LE exams, they help alot & touch on subjects or topics you will not think of on your own without them. They also give you a few coaching tips on how to study & prepare for the test itself..good stuff! The one good thing is, you have time to do this with the no age cut-off, get the wife involved & make it a family deal..certainly will help you & help in the other concerns you had in your previous post..Take it Lite,drive on, HooAh!
              USA

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6404 users online. 345 members and 6059 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X