300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any Florida LEOs out there?

I'm looking for advice from my future fellow brothers, especially those from the Tampa area. Unfortunately, I won't be ready for hire for another 2 years due to my current military responsibililties. Any input will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    Made ya look!!!

I'm particularly interested in Tampa PD, any PD in Pinellas county, or any neighboring Sheriff's Office. I've been to the leoaffirs.com site, and those forums are mainly for bitching, it seems.
    Made ya look!!!

Comment

Hey!!
      Well I wish you good luck on your search I am a recent Academy graduate and am currently looking myself. I do however know that TPD requires 60 credit hours or an Associates degree. In Pinellas County you must register through PASS ( Police Applicant Screening Service ) for most of the PD's there. I will post the link here for you. Anyway good luck

http://www.policestandards.org/
      I've got friends in low places

Comment

If you're an MP, your military experience should get you qualified to skip the basic academy and take an accelerated, two to three week course for LEOs with experience.

Most agencies down here don't prehire, which means you have to be certified before agencies will even accept your application. IMO, you should look at getting your Florida certification ASAP. Even though you shouldn't begin applying for another year or so, having that certification is something that you need to get. If you can somehow manage to take a couple weeks off and come down to Florida to get it done, that would be great.

TPD, TTPD, HCSO, PCSO, and CPD would be my suggestions for agencies to look for. USFPD and TIAPD are also good agencies if you want to work in that kind of environment. Stay away from SPPD.

Comment

Originally posted by jorkassyd
          I'm particularly interested in Tampa PD, any PD in Pinellas county, or any neighboring Sheriff's Office. I've been to the leoaffirs.com site, and those forums are mainly for bitching, it seems.
          What do you want advice on specifically?
          If it wasn't for STUPID PEOPLE I'd be unemployed.

Comment

Originally posted by SWATcop
            What do you want advice on specifically?
            Basically if you have any 1st-hand or really good 2nd-hand knowledge of departments in the area, I'd be interested in what you thought about them.

And, have you used the PASS system, what's that like?
            Made ya look!!!

Comment

Basically if you have any 1st-hand or really good 2nd-hand knowledge of departments in the area, I'd be interested in what you thought about them.
              Pasco SO: fairly large area, good department - very active vice/narcotics unit & good swat team, 3 marine patrol boats & dive team
              Pinellas SO: smaller that Pasco, still a good department
              Hillsborough SO: they take good care of their cops from what I've seen
              Hernando SO: not very familiar, very rural area with good swat team
              Dade City PD: small, but seems like a good department
              Zephyrhills PD: no comment!
              Port Richey PD: good department, but small - 3 marine patrol boats and a dive team
              New Port Richey PD: another good department, bigger than Port Richey, quite active, 1 marine patrol boat & dive team, good swat team
              Tampa PD: good department, good dive team, good swat team
              Brooksville PD: very small, don't know much else about it
              FHP: understaffed, works a lot of crashes
              FWC: understaffed, works a lot of marine patrol duties

Comment

Pasco SO: fairly large area, good department - very active vice/narcotics unit & good swat team, 3 marine patrol boats & dive team
                Port Richey PD: good department, but small - 3 marine patrol boats and a dive team
                New Port Richey PD: another good department, bigger than Port Richey, quite active, 1 marine patrol boat & dive team, good swat team
                Thanks SWATcop! Stay away from Zephyrhills, huh? Got it.
                Made ya look!!!

Comment

Just curious do you know anything about Temple terrace pd & Plant city pd?

Comment

Re: Any Florida LEOs out there?

I'm looking for advice from my future fellow brothers, especially those from the Tampa area. Unfortunately, I won't be ready for hire for another 2 years due to my current military responsibililties. Any input will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
                    Check METRO DADE PD www.mdpd.com

Comment

Re: Re: Any Florida LEOs out there?

jorkassyd I'm particularly interested in Tampa PD, any PD in Pinellas county, or any neighboring Sheriff's Office. I've been to the leoaffirs.com site, and those forums are mainly for bitching, it seems.
                      Originally posted by Jsoul99
                      Check METRO DADE PD www.mdpd.com
                      Tampa area...
                      Made ya look!!!

Comment

Between the two, I'd go with TTPD. It's a good, but small agency. They just got a new contract with a pretty substantial raise over the next few years. Although the agency and jurisdiction are small, the area is still pretty active. Personally, I wouldn't want to work for PCPD.

Comment

Honestly, no. Sorry.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9026 users online. 324 members and 8702 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X