Ad JS

Collapse

Leaderboard

Collapse

Leaderboard Tablet

Collapse

Leaderboard Mobile

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NY&NJ port authority or CBP

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • NY&NJ port authority or CBP

    Hi guys, I'm a former Marine Sergeant who looking for a law enforcement career. I passed NY & NJ port authority test back in 2013, barely recevied a survey email two months ago, to make sure that I'm still want to join port authority police department 115th academy, heard nothing after that email, process has not yet begun.
    I applied for customs and border protection officer last month, and now I'm already waiting on my medical exam to be scheduled. Most likely my application process with CBP will finished earlier than port authority.
    My question is, who has better benefits or higher salary?

  • #2
    Take whichever offers the job first.
    Now go home and get your shine box!

    Comment


    • #3
      In the long run, you'd be better off with the PAPD. Well, that's with today's contract. They are currently out of contract. Now they enjoy free medical and a host of other benefits and a salary structure the Feds dream about. Just my 2 cents, I work with both and that's my read of it.
      Hey Kidd, I've got more time On Meal than you have "On the Job"

      Comment


      • #4
        Maybe some of you can give me some insight. I am married two children under 4, in my early thirties. After applying to many agencies (cbp,usss us,uscp,DSP,DCMTPD,ICE,FAMS MWAA Airport police,USPP,PGCPD) going through the full gamut of the hiring process . I finally got picked up with decent ageny, starting the academy in less than 2 weeks. But I am still in the process for NJSP,MWAA,NY Court Officer, TBTA, AMTRAK PD and recently contacted by USPP to continue the process. Now do I count my blessing and stay put,or do I roll the dice to one of these other sought after careers?

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by handsom4life View Post
          Maybe some of you can give me some insight. I am married two children under 4, in my early thirties. After applying to many agencies (cbp,usss us,uscp,DSP,DCMTPD,ICE,FAMS MWAA Airport police,USPP,PGCPD) going through the full gamut of the hiring process . I finally got picked up with decent ageny, starting the academy in less than 2 weeks. But I am still in the process for NJSP,MWAA,NY Court Officer, TBTA, AMTRAK PD and recently contacted by USPP to continue the process. Now do I count my blessing and stay put,or do I roll the dice to one of these other sought after careers?
          Congrats on getting picked up by a decent agency. If I were you, I would focus on your academy and the job first. After that, you can continue the process with the other agencies, but as you know, they are not guaranteed. Not to mention the months you will be spending in Georgia and possible relocation.

          And stgz, take the job that is offered first.

          Comment


          • #6
            Are you kidding me? Port authority is a no brainer. Best benefits, unlimited OT, state pension.

            Comment


            • #7
              thanks for your reply

              Comment


              • #8
                Current fed.

                Go with the Port ASAP.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by 1911user View Post
                  In the long run, you'd be better off with the PAPD. Well, that's with today's contract. They are currently out of contract. Now they enjoy free medical and a host of other benefits and a salary structure the Feds dream about. Just my 2 cents, I work with both and that's my read of it.
                  Thank you for your reply, and personally I prefer PAPD as well, so I can stay close with my family here in NYC, but from what I heard there is high ratio to get knock out even during the hiring process, becasue there are so many applicants for PAPD to choose.
                  If I hold up the process with CBP and give a shot with PAPD, I might end up missed both of them.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by sgtz View Post
                    Thank you for your reply, and personally I prefer PAPD as well, so I can stay close with my family here in NYC, but from what I heard there is high ratio to get knock out even during the hiring process, becasue there are so many applicants for PAPD to choose.
                    If I hold up the process with CBP and give a shot with PAPD, I might end up missed both of them.
                    Don't hold up any processes. Work them all till you get where u want to be.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Esco View Post
                      Don't hold up any processes. Work them all till you get where u want to be.
                      So far no one heard anything from PAPD, only applicants like me in this forums talking about the 115th academy process will begin at the end of this year or the next year. By then I think my application process with CBP will be finished, and I will face the same problem, should I just go to CBP training right away, or take the risk to continue the process with PAPD, even though there is a chance to get drop out during the process.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        You must not know about NJLawman forums. There is a thread there about PAPD in the "Jobs in Law Enforcement" section. Plenty of talk about the process and those going through it. I am not up to date on it but I believe Class 115 has already been filled, or will soon be. You should check it out in case you missed out.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Bliskin View Post
                          You must not know about NJLawman forums. There is a thread there about PAPD in the "Jobs in Law Enforcement" section. Plenty of talk about the process and those going through it. I am not up to date on it but I believe Class 115 has already been filled, or will soon be. You should check it out in case you missed out.
                          Thank you and i will go check it out

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Nothing stopping you from hiring on with CBP if they accept you. If called for PAPD afterward continue their hiring process and if accepted resign CBP and take the PAPD job if that what you want.
                            Hey Kidd, I've got more time On Meal than you have "On the Job"

                            Comment

                            MR300x250 Tablet

                            Collapse

                            What's Going On

                            Collapse

                            There are currently 10577 users online. 429 members and 10148 guests.

                            Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

                            Welcome Ad

                            Collapse
                            Working...
                            X