300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for brutally honest advice before applying

Hey everyone, and first of all, thank you for reading this.

I'm looking to apply for for a Law Enforcement position as a new start for my career. I have a few issues that may hold up my background somewhat, which I will highlight below:

1. My driving record isn't great. I have only had ONE speeding ticket in my entire life, and I didn't even fight it. I took responsibility, went to court, and paid the fine. I have some other infractions on there, such as "disobeying traffic device" and "moved from lane unsafely". I have reasons, but I won't even bother putting those here to waste your time. I took 3 safe driving courses (these are not mandatory in my state). I want to show the BI that I tried to fix my situation rather than just leaving it alone.

2. I was arrested ONE time for driving on a suspended license (I had an unpaid parking ticket). I paid the fine immediately and had my license restored asap.

3. BEFORE YOU THINK OF ME AS AN *******, ALLOW ME TO EXPLAIN: Approximately 7 years ago, my family was very wealthy. My father made a lot of money and I was on a monthly allowance that basically let me spend anything I wanted (not trying to boast here, just proving some background). I have credit card statements from that time showing monthly spending of $10,000+ and everything paid on time. In 2011, my father died, and my family instantly went from wealthy to near homeless. I tried to pay off as my debts as possible, but just last year, my back was finally broken, my car was repossessed and my accounts were sent into collections. I declared bankruptcy.

With all that being said, do I even have a shot, or should I not even bother?

Please feel free to be honest, and ask any questions that you need for clarification.

Thank you again.

You can always apply and apply until you get hired somewhere. Or you find another career. No one will be able to tell you what will happen. Just keep applying. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by ForzaMilan View Post
      You can always apply and apply until you get hired somewhere. Or you find another career. No one will be able to tell you what will happen. Just keep applying. Good luck.
      100% understood. I am just hoping that someone who has worked in BI (slim chance, I know), or possibly someone in a somewhat similar situation as mine may have some insights on the matter.

Side note, when I declared my bankruptcy, I was so broke that I had couldn't even afford the court filing fees haha. I'm laughing about it now, but I was bad at the time.

Comment

How long ago were you arrested? I think 3 years is a safe dwell time. In my prior agency I worked with a few people who had been arrested in college for dumb stuff. Own up to it and and see where it takes you. The speeding tickets and the other offenses you mentioned may draw more heat as it shows a pattern of disregarding the rules. When you package it all together with the arrest it may also paint that picture. Time heals all wounds and nothing you did seems too egregious as to prevent you from working in law enforcement.

As far as the bankruptcy, it is a suitability question. I work with a guy now who went into "strategic default" on his mortgage, which I had never heard of before and due to the circumstances, was able to pass suitability. The more time that passes, the better you will be.

Comment

Last edited by sthrone11; 02-23-2018, 10:11 AM.

Comment

A safety course means nothing.
            Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

Last edited by sthrone11; 02-23-2018, 10:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by sthrone11 View Post
                Thank you for your reply. Do you have any suggestions?
                Find another line of work for a few more years, then if you're still interested in LE, give it a shot.
                Getting shot hurts! Don't under estimate the power of live ammo. A .22LR can kill you! I personally feel that it's best to avoid being shot by any caliber. Your vest may stop the bullet, but you'll still get a nice bruise or other injury to remember the experience.

Comment

Originally posted by sthrone11 View Post
                  100% understood. I am just hoping that someone who has worked in BI (slim chance, I know), or possibly someone in a somewhat similar situation as mine may have some insights on the matter.

Side note, when I declared my bankruptcy, I was so broke that I had couldn't even afford the court filing fees haha. I'm laughing about it now, but I was bad at the time.
                  I did BIs for the government, which is a different thing altogether, but I have learned that everything in life is...it depends. You might not get the most sought after department in your area, but if you are willing to move, some of the other places might hire you, depending on availability of qualified candidates in that area. That's why it depends... on many factors. Are you willing to move? Are you willing to move somewhere else, be told no, find another job in that area and apply again? Are you going to quit applying after a few rejection letters? Things like that.
                  Last edited by ForzaMilan; 07-18-2016, 08:22 PM.

Comment

Comment

I'm agreeing with the advice that you give it a couple more years. Two or three years more of a clean record will be your best friend.

But, I don't think you're auto DQ for every dept. Some may give you a look, but with your baggage you won't be as competitive as other applicants who have cleaner records.

Good luck.
                      They Don’t Think It Be Like It Is, But It Do.

Comment

Comment

I rarely speak in absolutes, but you certainly have an uphill battle. There are plenty of quality candidates who don't bring your baggage to the table. How are you managing your current debt?

Comment

First of all, I've said this before to similar posters: airing your narrative of your version of your personal history on an open forum and expecting usable advice is as unrealistic as asking a fence post if you have a chance.

That said, let me pipe in about some of your statements:

I was arrested ONE time for driving on a suspended license (I had an unpaid parking ticket)

I have never heard of anyone being arrested for an unpaid parking ticket. I've heard of cars getting the yellow boot for unpaid tickets, I've heard of vehicle registration issues due to unpaid tickets, and I've heard of college and universities refusing to register students for unpaid tickets. Are you sure you have your facts straight here? That's very important if you wish to be taken seriously when applying for this field.

My father made a lot of money and I was on a monthly allowance that basically let me spend anything I wanted (not trying to boast here, just proving some background). I have credit card statements from that time showing monthly spending of $10,000+

A monthly allowance of 10K? Seriously??

I'm not trying to judge here, and by all means, there's nothing wrong with being wealthy, but what the hell were you dropping 10K allowance per month on?

Point I'm trying to make is no one gets in this line of work expecting a life of luxury. If anything, it's a life of sacrifice and hard work that provides modest means to feed, clothe, and educate our families. If you're used to living large and making it rain and a phat allowance for doing nothing, maybe this ain't the job for you.
                            One day, lad, this will all be yours.

Comment

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7993 users online. 273 members and 7720 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X