Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Putting 1811 Offer on Hold

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Putting 1811 Offer on Hold

    Hi all,

    First off, thanks for all of the advice that I've been able to glean from this site for the past couple years - it's been invaluable.

    I'm in a weird position - I've been fortunate enough to receive an 1811 conditional offer (after trying for several years) and have been processing through it - I've done the written, interview, and psych. However, immediately prior to being given the offer, I received a different job offer in a different field that will start in a few months. While becoming an 1811 has been my dream job for years, I am also very interested in this other area. If possible, I would like to work the other job for a bit to see how I like it. My question is this - is it possible to put my application process on hold? Does anyone have experience with this?

    Thank you,
    Joe

  • #2
    Originally posted by joemama1 View Post
    Hi all,

    First off, thanks for all of the advice that I've been able to glean from this site for the past couple years - it's been invaluable.

    I'm in a weird position - I've been fortunate enough to receive an 1811 conditional offer (after trying for several years) and have been processing through it - I've done the written, interview, and psych. However, immediately prior to being given the offer, I received a different job offer in a different field that will start in a few months. While becoming an 1811 has been my dream job for years, I am also very interested in this other area. If possible, I would like to work the other job for a bit to see how I like it. My question is this - is it possible to put my application process on hold? Does anyone have experience with this?

    Thank you,
    Joe
    What is the other job? Why would you not take the SA position and what agency? I can't think of a better job right now than SA especially if it is at one of the top Agencies. I would say SA will not always come around but other jobs will. My 2 cents.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by joemama1 View Post
      Hi all,

      First off, thanks for all of the advice that I've been able to glean from this site for the past couple years - it's been invaluable.

      I'm in a weird position - I've been fortunate enough to receive an 1811 conditional offer (after trying for several years) and have been processing through it - I've done the written, interview, and psych. However, immediately prior to being given the offer, I received a different job offer in a different field that will start in a few months. While becoming an 1811 has been my dream job for years, I am also very interested in this other area. If possible, I would like to work the other job for a bit to see how I like it. My question is this - is it possible to put my application process on hold? Does anyone have experience with this?

      Thank you,
      Joe
      Very unlikely they will put the process on hold for you. There are thousands in line waiting for that call. Unfortunately, you have to be fully in or not at all. At the end of the day, you know what's best for you and your fam.

      Comment


      • #4
        To add to that... You still have not received a final job offer for the SA position. A lot can go wrong during this conditional period until the day you EOD. Speaking from experience.

        Comment


        • #5
          I'd think long and hard about saying no to an 1811 position. They will not hold a position for you.

          Comment


          • #6
            Conditional or tentative offer? Conditiinal offer is next to nothing and there still the Top secret clearance background to do, thats like 8 months right there not to mention the hiring panel that can still pass you up. Always take the job in front of you, not the job that might be.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by chipperjones View Post
              Conditional or tentative offer? Conditiinal offer is next to nothing and there still the Top secret clearance background to do, thats like 8 months right there not to mention the hiring panel that can still pass you up. Always take the job in front of you, not the job that might be.
              A TS/SCI should take no more than 8-12 weeks tops. If they offer him an interim clearance he can start (I.e. Go to training) within 3 weeks. But it is risky to take an interim if you have dirt.

              On a side note man if being an SA was truly your "dream job" this wouldn't even be a question about which opportunity to pursue.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by joemama1 View Post
                Hi all,

                First off, thanks for all of the advice that I've been able to glean from this site for the past couple years - it's been invaluable.

                I'm in a weird position - I've been fortunate enough to receive an 1811 conditional offer (after trying for several years) and have been processing through it - I've done the written, interview, and psych. However, immediately prior to being given the offer, I received a different job offer in a different field that will start in a few months. While becoming an 1811 has been my dream job for years, I am also very interested in this other area. If possible, I would like to work the other job for a bit to see how I like it. My question is this - is it possible to put my application process on hold? Does anyone have experience with this?

                Thank you,
                Joe
                Don't take this the wrong way, but just being up front with you. There are a ton of folks trying to land 1811 gigs. I highly doubt they'd let you put the process on hold so you can go try something else, when so many other folks will complete the process and take the job. Couldn't hurt to ask, just be ready for maybe THEM to put YOU on hold.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by joemama1 View Post
                  Hi all,

                  First off, thanks for all of the advice that I've been able to glean from this site for the past couple years - it's been invaluable.

                  I'm in a weird position - I've been fortunate enough to receive an 1811 conditional offer (after trying for several years) and have been processing through it - I've done the written, interview, and psych. However, immediately prior to being given the offer, I received a different job offer in a different field that will start in a few months. While becoming an 1811 has been my dream job for years, I am also very interested in this other area. If possible, I would like to work the other job for a bit to see how I like it. My question is this - is it possible to put my application process on hold? Does anyone have experience with this?

                  Thank you,
                  Joe

                  No putting job/hiring process on hold.

                  As for which one to choose? Think long term. As an 1811 you can retire with 25 years prior to age 50 or with twenty years at age 50+.

                  Thats pretty damn young to retire. Can you do that in the other position? I'd rather retire young personally.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by hpy1 View Post
                    No putting job/hiring process on hold.

                    As for which one to choose? Think long term. As an 1811 you can retire with 25 years prior to age 50 or with twenty years at age 50+.

                    Thats pretty damn young to retire. Can you do that in the other position? I'd rather retire young personally.
                    IN ADDITION TO WHAT IS ABOVE....after you retire young, you can enter into the private sector and find some really sweet gigs and the fact that you held a TS clearance and were a criminal investigator/ special agent will really open doors. Your wallet will like that.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I've seen people try to pull the "putting off" thing before and never seen it work the way they hoped. In the words of that noted scribe Eminem, "You only get one shot, do not miss your chance to blow."

                      One guy I knew was going to lateral to another agency, but had a bum knee and figured it would cause problems at FLETC. When the call came, he asked to "put off" getting hired until after surgery and rehab. They put him off alright, for good.

                      Others have taken new jobs while knowing they were about to get their dream job, then quit the new job when they got the dream job. It worked out in the end but needlessly wasted other people's time and resources like moving costs.

                      Having options is a good thing. If the other offer is a swimsuit photographer for Sports Illustrated, then why even ask for our opinion.

                      Don't overthink your decision. Go with what your gut is telling you and you'll never regret it.

                      But don't be like the dog on a bridge with a bone in his mouth who drops it in the water when he looks down and sees another dog with a bone. Make your decision and be happy with it.
                      Last edited by Ratatatat; 06-27-2016, 04:06 PM.
                      People get on, people get off, but the train never stops.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Having been around the horn a few times now, stay in the process and start the new job. If you get an actual EOD, THEN consider if you stay at the current "other" job or leave for the 1811 job.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by joemama1 View Post

                          My question is this - is it possible to put my application process on hold?

                          Thank you,
                          Joe
                          Short answer: No


                          Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            OP has not gotten a final offer yet, right?

                            If OP turns down this opportunity, does OP know that it may never come back around again?

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by HMCN View Post
                              Short answer: No


                              Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                              Long answer.... Noooooooooo

                              If the Gov offers you 1811 and your goal in life is to be eighteen eleven, you take it. You never know when it might come around again. Go to fletc, get the creds, put in a few years, and then if you decide you don't like the work and benefits, you can do the other thing. Hope this helps. Good luck to you.

                              Comment

                              MR300x250 Tablet

                              Collapse

                              What's Going On

                              Collapse

                              There are currently 5333 users online. 205 members and 5128 guests.

                              Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

                              Welcome Ad

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X