Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Santa Monica PD

Good morning all,

I recently applied for the police officer trainee position in Santa Monica, CA. After extensive search on the world wide web I think this is a great agency to work for. I am from Georgia, so I would be moving across country if I were to be hired. I haven't seen any relevant info on here that would support my theory that it is a great agency to work for. So for those of you who are in the know, is this a great agency to work for? Just want to hear it from someone who knows. Thanks!

Originally posted by ecg14 View Post
    Good morning all,

I recently applied for the police officer trainee position in Santa Monica, CA. After extensive search on the world wide web I think this is a great agency to work for. I am from Georgia, so I would be moving across country if I were to be hired. I haven't seen any relevant info on here that would support my theory that it is a great agency to work for. So for those of you who are in the know, is this a great agency to work for? Just want to hear it from someone who knows. Thanks!
    Super competitive. A lot of LAPD and other small departments in the area try and lateral. Not to mention a few Feds also give it a run. Good luck!

Comment

Awesome. I think that's exactly the answer I was hoping for.

Comment

ecg, just food for thought man but no matter where you go or what agency you work for you'll hear from some body that says "its the pits," or "it sucks." Just know for every negative nancy I am sure there will be 10 other officers to tell you how great it is. Believe it or not I have worked with some FBI agents who could have you convinced that the FBI was no better than Wackenhut security. Moral of the story is every agency has em. It's best you go out there and experience it for yourself. Hell of a ballsy move going cross country for a LEO job. I did something similar and it was a good experience. Best of luck my friend.

Comment

Originally posted by kwaz View Post
          ecg, just food for thought man but no matter where you go or what agency you work for you'll hear from some body that says "its the pits," or "it sucks." Just know for every negative nancy I am sure there will be 10 other officers to tell you how great it is. Believe it or not I have worked with some FBI agents who could have you convinced that the FBI was no better than Wackenhut security. Moral of the story is every agency has em. It's best you go out there and experience it for yourself. Hell of a ballsy move going cross country for a LEO job. I did something similar and it was a good experience. Best of luck my friend.
          Thanks for the response man. I agree 100%. I think every job is what you make it and there will always be negative people out there. I am interested in getting your opinion on moving cross-country. Since you have done it, what are some of the pros and cons?

Comment

Moving from Georgia to LA be prepared for total culture shock! Everything from the price of gas to the attitude of the people.

Comment

Originally posted by nobodyinparticular View Post
              Moving from Georgia to LA be prepared for total culture shock! Everything from the price of gas to the attitude of the people.
              Trust me I took that into account before making the decision to go after this. Atlanta is not much better anyway.

Comment

I grew up in Santa Monica and had family on Santa Monica PD. The city and the police department are unique animals, to say the least.

Around 50 years ago, the Santa Monica City Council treated the police and fire departments very poorly with respect to pay, benefits and equipment. Members of both agencies banded together politically, rallied the city and at the next election, voted out the old city council and voted in members who were police and fire friendly. Their ability to harness so much political power shocked the old establishment, and even since then the POA and the Fire Association have been a force to reckon with. Even when an extremely liberal city council gains a majority, they know there are limits to what they can do before the police and fire associations rear their ugly heads and vote them out, so a reasonably good working relationship has been maintained over the years.

While the city is very liberal, it is also very rich and liberal values come to a halt when they clash with rich values. Case in point, many years back, Santa Monica declared itself a haven for the homeless. Before the city knew what hit them, it was filled with transients, substance abusers, former mental patients, etc. When the status quo got fed up, the city reversed course and passed ordinances making it uncomfortable for the homeless to be around.

In Santa Monica, City Ordinances are prosecuted by the City Attorney. The guy in office at the time refused to prosecute homeless ordinance violations claiming the homeless were being persecuted for being victims of the economy. Two things happened. Santa Monica PD started arresting the homeless on borderline felony charges along with city ordinance violations and taking the matter to the District Attorney. The DA dropped the borderline felony counts but prosecuted the city ordinance violations (something a DA usually never does). In the meantime, the City Council gave the City Attorney two direct orders to prosecute homeless violations. When he refused, they fired him.

The current SMPD Chief, Jackie Brooks, is a stand up manager. She backs her people when they are right, even to the point of issuing press releases calling those to task who make irresponsible complaints about her officers and blow things out of proportion.

It used to be that the north side of town was rich and the south side was poor. We used to say never live south of Santa Monica Boulevard. Better to live north of Wilshire. Even better to live north of Montana. Best to live north of San Vicente. Now the far south side is starting to get somewhat respectable and only the middle section is poor (but north of Wilshire is still best).

Property is obscene. As of this evening, there are only 14 single family homes for sale north of Wilshire. The cheapest is $1.6 million for a 3 bedroom 2 bath, 1900 square foot home. The bad part is it’s next door to one of the city’s biggest and most active churches, so you’re going to hear the church bells all day. The most expensive house is a 7 bed, 6 bath home with 8,570 square feet for $16.5 million.

Condos north of Wilshire aren’t any better. There are 40 available right now, the cheapest being $578K for a 1 bed, 1 bath unit with 736 square feet and the most expensive being $8 Million for a 3 bed, 2 bath with 3,165 square feet.

Of course you can rent. A vacancy just came up in my mother’s building. She is 2 doors above Wilshire. A 2 bedroom, I bath unfurnished apartment in her 60 year old building goes for $2,400 per month. Fortunately, she has been there on rent control for 43 years, so hers is a little cheaper.

Of course, Santa Monica PD pays $81K per year once you get out of the academy, so I suspect you can afford the rent.
                Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Thanks for the response man. I agree 100%. I think every job is what you make it and there will always be negative people out there. I am interested in getting your opinion on moving cross-country. Since you have done it, what are some of the pros and cons?
                  If it's feasible pack everything you can in one car and roll. If it's not and you have to move family and furniture it's going to be expensive and a b**** lol. No better way to put it. I packed up my car with the necessities and the dog and drove. If you're a single guy I'd highly recommend renting a room from someone whose roughly the same age as you. That's the best way to get acquainted with the area and start to develop a social network. Nothing is worse then moving to a new state across the country and not knowing a soul!

Comment

Originally posted by L-1 View Post
                    I grew up in Santa Monica and had family on Santa Monica PD. The city and the police department are unique animals, to say the least.

Around 50 years ago, the Santa Monica City Council treated the police and fire departments very poorly with respect to pay, benefits and equipment. Members of both agencies banded together politically, rallied the city and at the next election, voted out the old city council and voted in members who were police and fire friendly. Their ability to harness so much political power shocked the old establishment, and even since then the POA and the Fire Association have been a force to reckon with. Even when an extremely liberal city council gains a majority, they know there are limits to what they can do before the police and fire associations rear their ugly heads and vote them out, so a reasonably good working relationship has been maintained over the years.

While the city is very liberal, it is also very rich and liberal values come to a halt when they clash with rich values. Case in point, many years back, Santa Monica declared itself a haven for the homeless. Before the city knew what hit them, it was filled with transients, substance abusers, former mental patients, etc. When the status quo got fed up, the city reversed course and passed ordinances making it uncomfortable for the homeless to be around.

In Santa Monica, City Ordinances are prosecuted by the City Attorney. The guy in office at the time refused to prosecute homeless ordinance violations claiming the homeless were being persecuted for being victims of the economy. Two things happened. Santa Monica PD started arresting the homeless on borderline felony charges along with city ordinance violations and taking the matter to the District Attorney. The DA dropped the borderline felony counts but prosecuted the city ordinance violations (something a DA usually never does). In the meantime, the City Council gave the City Attorney two direct orders to prosecute homeless violations. When he refused, they fired him.

The current SMPD Chief, Jackie Brooks, is a stand up manager. She backs her people when they are right, even to the point of issuing press releases calling those to task who make irresponsible complaints about her officers and blow things out of proportion.

It used to be that the north side of town was rich and the south side was poor. We used to say never live south of Santa Monica Boulevard. Better to live north of Wilshire. Even better to live north of Montana. Best to live north of San Vicente. Now the far south side is starting to get somewhat respectable and only the middle section is poor (but north of Wilshire is still best).

Property is obscene. As of this evening, there are only 14 single family homes for sale north of Wilshire. The cheapest is $1.6 million for a 3 bedroom 2 bath, 1900 square foot home. The bad part is it’s next door to one of the city’s biggest and most active churches, so you’re going to hear the church bells all day. The most expensive house is a 7 bed, 6 bath home with 8,570 square feet for $16.5 million.

Condos north of Wilshire aren’t any better. There are 40 available right now, the cheapest being $578K for a 1 bed, 1 bath unit with 736 square feet and the most expensive being $8 Million for a 3 bed, 2 bath with 3,165 square feet.

Of course you can rent. A vacancy just came up in my mother’s building. She is 2 doors above Wilshire. A 2 bedroom, I bath unfurnished apartment in her 60 year old building goes for $2,400 per month. Fortunately, she has been there on rent control for 43 years, so hers is a little cheaper.

Of course, Santa Monica PD pays $81K per year once you get out of the academy, so I suspect you can afford the rent.
                    Thanks for the info. It is quite interesting that a law enforcement agency can have so much pull in such a liberal town. I live in a very liberal area of Georgia so I don't think it'll be much of a shock as far as that goes. The pricing for a home is most definitely outrageous though. I would like to live in the Brentwood area and from what I've seen it looks as if I'll be paying 3k minimum to rent a decent apartment in that area. I am willing to over pay for peace of mind however.

Comment

Originally posted by kwaz View Post
                      If it's feasible pack everything you can in one car and roll. If it's not and you have to move family and furniture it's going to be expensive and a b**** lol. No better way to put it. I packed up my car with the necessities and the dog and drove. If you're a single guy I'd highly recommend renting a room from someone whose roughly the same age as you. That's the best way to get acquainted with the area and start to develop a social network. Nothing is worse then moving to a new state across the country and not knowing a soul!
                      Good thing I don't have much to take! Pretty much just me and the car. I am single so that'll free up a lot as far as finances go. I'm not sure if I can make myself room with someone I don't know. I'll probably just pay an arm and a leg and live by myself. I just don't trust people in this day and age. Hopefully I'll make some good friends in the academy if this ends up working out.

Comment

I am interested in getting your opinion on moving cross-country. Since you have done it, what are some of the pros and cons?
                        The actual move cross country sucks. The packing, and unpacking, the U-haul.... But it is an adventure, an experience you will always remember. I moved out to California from NY, and then back again 5 years later. Its worth it.
                        I make my living on Irish welfare.

Comment

Moved from WA to IL, and love every moment of it.

Comment

Thanks for the info. It is quite interesting that a law enforcement agency can have so much pull in such a liberal town. I live in a very liberal area of Georgia so I don't think it'll be much of a shock as far as that goes. The pricing for a home is most definitely outrageous though. I would like to live in the Brentwood area and from what I've seen it looks as if I'll be paying 3k minimum to rent a decent apartment in that area. I am willing to over pay for peace of mind however.
                            California liberals are an entirely different animal, it will NOT be anything you're used to seeing in Georgia.

Comment

Good thing I don't have much to take! Pretty much just me and the car. I am single so that'll free up a lot as far as finances go. I'm not sure if I can make myself room with someone I don't know. I'll probably just pay an arm and a leg and live by myself. I just don't trust people in this day and age. Hopefully I'll make some good friends in the academy if this ends up working out.
                              I drove out to CA from NY for an LEO job and roomed with a complete stranger about five blocks away from the academy. I found the room on Craigslist, there are lots of rooms and other places available on Craigslist if you're willing to look. I'd highly recommend getting a place that's close to your academy.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8975 users online. 378 members and 8597 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X