Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drug use that isn't your own when it comes to getting hired/clearance

answered, thanks
    Last edited by Culper1773; 07-16-2017, 02:17 PM.

Drug use that isn't your own when it comes to getting hired/clearance

You can choose your friends. Family, not so much. If an applicant chooses to associate with people who actively break the law, it can negatively impact his/her ability to pass a background investigation.

Each situation and each agency is different, so not much more can be said about the topic in a general sense. However, anyone interested in a career in law enforcement should stray away from those who use drugs or break the law in other ways.

Comment

Back grounds don't ask about close friends, they ask about you. Answer the questions as they relate to you, if you get to volunteering info about your family and friends, not a smart move on your part. Don't read to far into the questions. How old are you? Your question makes you seem pretty young ( no offense ).

Comment

thanks all
        Last edited by Culper1773; 07-16-2017, 02:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by camarritt2011 View Post
          No, I'm 27 and applying to the Army CID program. I don't have anything to hide in the SSBI personally but some in my family I wouldn't be able to say the same for. Just trying to get a general idea of what to expect.

edit; I do plan on being honest either way, just overthinking it probably
          Don't overthink. Answer the question they ask.

Comment

Originally posted by Esco View Post
            Back grounds don't ask about close friends, they ask about you. Answer the questions as they relate to you, if you get to volunteering info about your family and friends, not a smart move on your part.
            Work a lot of backgrounds do you? As a matter of FACT, anyone worth a crap at backgrounds DOES ask about close friends. A good BI will peel back a couple of layers and will ask who you associate with, they will speak with those people and then ask them who else you associate with.

“This life’s hard, but it’s harder if you’re stupid.”

George V. Higgins--The Friends of Eddie Coyle

Comment

Originally posted by slamdunc View Post
              Work a lot of backgrounds do you? As a matter of FACT, anyone worth a crap at backgrounds DOES ask about close friends. A good BI will peel back a couple of layers and will ask who you associate with, they will speak with those people and then ask them who else you associate with.

Lol, and if you've been thru a few and are smart, you give them exactly what they ask, and nothing more.

Comment

Lol, and if you've been thru a few and are smart, you give them exactly what they ask, and nothing more.
                I may not be that smart, but I have been through six and passed them all (with a bit of baggage of my own). I have conducted many and I always ask a lot of questions relating not so much to family members, but definitely associates. Just a curious question; do they polygraph where you work as a police officer?

If the op has a girlfriend that smokes dope, my recommendation would be to pass on him. I hate the white hats / black hats speech as much as anyone else, but if someone is wanting to be the police, they need to be all-in. And yes, if my wife / girlfriend / fiancee, etc. was a doper, I'd ditch her.

Comment

I have been asked specifically about "family, friends, and associates who use drugs" on background packets.

Comment

You are a fool. Stop posting bs.

Pick up your shine box on the way out.
                    Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

Originally posted by aspiring_fed View Post
                      I have been asked specifically about "family, friends, and associates who use drugs" on background packets.
                      Last edited by Culper1773; 07-16-2017, 02:18 PM.

Comment

Yep. It might not DQ you, but it might. Again, it depends on the circumstances and what the agency cares about. Your safest bet is to just ditch anyone who uses illicit drugs. It might suck, but you have to think about your career.

Comment

Originally posted by camarritt2011 View Post
                          Unless your spouse is a drug lord is this really something that can DQ you?
                          If you associate with criminals (such as dopers) you can be disqualified. The girlfriend in question, the dope-head, is a criminal due to the fact that she either manufactures (grows) OR purchases her dope AND she possesses it. As any of these things are illegal, and you know about it, you are associating with a criminal. I was typing slowly so that you can absorb it as you obviously are waiting for an answer you want to hear, such as:
                          Back grounds don't ask about close friends, they ask about you. Answer the questions as they relate to you, if you get to volunteering info about your family and friends, not a smart move on your part. Don't read to far into the questions.
                          Following advise such as ^^^this^^^ will get you on the wrong side of your BI and polygraph examiner.

Comment

Many years ago, a good friend of mine who is now a ranking member of a local agency has his background put on hold because his younger brother's friend had a record. Not a bad guy, just made some bad choices and was living with them until he could get back on his feet. The agency would not move forward until the guy moved out. YMMV.

Comment

Originally posted by slamdunc View Post
                              I may not be that smart, but I have been through six and passed them all (with a bit of baggage of my own). I have conducted many and I always ask a lot of questions relating not so much to family members, but definitely associates. Just a curious question; do they polygraph where you work as a police officer?

If the op has a girlfriend that smokes dope, my recommendation would be to pass on him. I hate the white hats / black hats speech as much as anyone else, but if someone is wanting to be the police, they need to be all-in. And yes, if my wife / girlfriend / fiancee, etc. was a doper, I'd ditch her.

If we are talking about OPM let's not act like their system for background's as a whole is that thorough. I equate them to every other branch of the government. Ineffective, half-a**ed, lazy, etc etc etc. If they did their jobs as it was intended or as they were supposed to, half the people in the federal government would have never been hired.

It takes a certain kind of person to be a GOOD background investigator, OPM hires anybody who can pass a TS. It's more like the inmates running the prison if you know what I mean. Long story short and I respectfully say this, if you were referring to 6 passed OPM backgrounds let's not use that as the standard of good background investigations because we all know it is not. If you were talking about local agencies then that is a different story.

My old police department's background was insanely tougher than any federal background I've ever undergone. It ranged from listing EVERY job you've ever had to listing EVERY residence you've ever lived more than 90 days. For my fellow veterans they know how tedious that can be. Long story short if a BI wants to find dirt on you he/she can. It totally depends how deep down the rabbit hole they want to go.
                              Last edited by kwaz; 06-16-2016, 08:40 AM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9244 users online. 386 members and 8858 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X