300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marine to LASD

So I was just wondering how much of a struggle it is to get a position as a LA Sherriff coming from a US Marine, I still got 2 years on my contract and may be deploying in a few months if my platoon doesn't screw me but by the time I get back I will have about a month short of a year left on my contract and wanting to start my application process with the department. Also how is the pay like for them? has to be better than what I'm making now. Also any advice to make the process so much smoother would be amazing help, thank you everyone!

The process is the same as anyone else's. The pay is available online. Do a bit of searching Devil.

Comment

Their FAQ page says active duty military should start the process six months out.

http://lasdcareers.org/frequently-asked-questions/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      "The only time success comes before work is in the dictionary."

Comment

I am also a Marine (Former) in process with them. I EASed before i applied though. I heard it's actually harder for us on the psych interview sometime and that a lot of fellow marines that have PTSD disability rating will have to explain it. So be careful what you claim with the VA when you EAS Devil.

Comment

My advice, apply to LASD, and any every other agency where you want to settle down as well. Semper Fi.
          I make my living on Irish welfare.

Comment

Originally posted by tacticalnpractical View Post
            I am also a Marine (Former) in process with them. I EASed before i applied though. I heard it's actually harder for us on the psych interview sometime and that a lot of fellow marines that have PTSD disability rating will have to explain it. So be careful what you claim with the VA when you EAS Devil.
            While this might be a concern, I would not let it detract from claiming what you need to claim through the VA. What may seem insignificant now from a medical standpoint might be a big deal later. Take it from a fellow service member with a chronic service connected condition... get what you are entitled to! Law enforcement may not work out, and in that case it would be a shame to have not taken advantage of your benefits when they were easiest to get.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            "The only time success comes before work is in the dictionary."

Comment

I agree with Aeroneous. I'm not saying don't claim it if you need it, however a lot of SNCO's are telling their guys when they get out that they need to claim max on everything to get money. A lot of Marines's don't understand that this is in essence fraud and is a DQ. Furthermore, claiming Psych and medical issues that you do not have or are heavily exaggerated could pose possible DQ issues later on in the process.

Comment

Look how hiring a PTSD vet worked out for FPS...
                Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

Originally posted by CCCSD View Post
                  Look how hiring a PTSD vet worked out for FPS...
                  Guess you didn't have to worry about that patrolling puddles.

Comment

Yeah. You tell that to this MAN.

Nathan B. Nate" Bruckenthal (July 17, 1979 – April 24, 2004) was a United States Coast Guardsman who was killed in the Iraq War, becoming the first to die in wartime action since the Vietnam War. Bruckenthal and two U.S. Navy sailors were killed while intercepting a waterborne suicide attack on an offshore oil terminal off the coast of Iraq in the northern Persian Gulf in 2004.
                    Bruckenthal was posthumously awarded the Bronze Star Medal with Combat Distinguishing Device and the Purple Heart for his actions.

****ing Pogue "Full Sarn'" Full of BS.

Go pretend you WERE somebody on the Marine Forums. After you get your *** handed to you, find a Coastie and apologize for being so ****ing ignorant.

Thus Endeth The Lesson.

You can go now.
                    Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

Oh and by the way, Eulalio Tordil (the FPS officer who went on the shooting spree) didn't have PTSD. He was also a former Army reservist.

Comment

Originally posted by CCCSD View Post
                        Yeah. You tell that to this MAN.

Nathan B. Nate" Bruckenthal (July 17, 1979 – April 24, 2004) was a United States Coast Guardsman who was killed in the Iraq War, becoming the first to die in wartime action since the Vietnam War. Bruckenthal and two U.S. Navy sailors were killed while intercepting a waterborne suicide attack on an offshore oil terminal off the coast of Iraq in the northern Persian Gulf in 2004.
                        Bruckenthal was posthumously awarded the Bronze Star Medal with Combat Distinguishing Device and the Purple Heart for his actions.

****ing Pogue "Full Sarn'" Full of BS.

Go pretend you WERE somebody on the Marine Forums. After you get your *** handed to you, find a Coastie and apologize for being so ****ing ignorant.

Thus Endeth The Lesson.

You can go now.
                        Lol, your example is ONE dude that has died in the GWOT? More KBR contractors have died than Coasties...

Another puddle pirate trying to be scarry...go wear your gruntworks shirt and post on vet forums bud.

Comment

Originally posted by chipperjones View Post
                          Lol, your example is ONE dude that has died in the GWOT? More KBR contractors have died than Coasties...

Another puddle pirate trying to be scarry...go wear your gruntworks shirt and post on vet forums bud.
                          Please don't minimize the sacrifice one service member made to a grateful nation, just to get your point across. There are other civilized ways to do so sir/ma'am/other

Comment

Originally posted by scotty_appleton814 View Post
                            Please don't minimize the sacrifice one service member made to a grateful nation, just to get your point across. There are other civilized ways to do so sir/ma'am/other
                            This all started as friendly (and unoriginal) inter-service banter that spiraled into maliciousness for no aparant reason. Noone is diminishing anyone's sacrifice, were all vets on this thread...

Comment

Originally posted by Full_Sarn' View Post
                              This all started as friendly (and unoriginal) inter-service banter that spiraled into maliciousness for no aparant reason. Noone is diminishing anyone's sacrifice, were all vets on this thread...
                              I get inter service ball busting, but chipper did intend to belittle that service member's sacrifice by claiming the many contractors died also. Could have went about it others ways. IMO.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6943 users online. 307 members and 6636 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X