Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cross Eye Dominant at FLETC?

Hello All,

I'm interested in a career in LE and wondering how much of a handicap or challenge it will be to qualify as someone who is right handed but left eye dominant? I'm really interested in many agencies that go to FLETC. From what I've gathered on these forums, the instructors are top notch there.I also read that it would be best to go down there without any prior lessons to avoid any bad habits. As someone who has never shot before, what are your thoughts?

Thanks in advance

It's not. I can't shoot that way, but I had 1 or 2 in my academy class that were cross eye dominant. They did fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Avon View Post
      Hello All,

I'm interested in a career in LE and wondering how much of a handicap or challenge it will be to qualify as someone who is right handed but left eye dominant? I'm really interested in many agencies that go to FLETC. From what I've gathered on these forums, the instructors are top notch there.I also read that it would be best to go down there without any prior lessons to avoid any bad habits. As someone who has never shot before, what are your thoughts?

Thanks in advance
      Let the firearms instructors do their jobs and teach you to shoot. Don't try to figure this out before hand, acquiring bad havits along the way. It's often easier to instruct someone who has never shot before, than someone who has and thinks they know how to do it.

Sincerely,
      A firearms instructor.
      I make my living on Irish welfare.

Comment

Hello All,

Thanks in advance
        Speaking from experience, you should have zero problems. I never had any prior experience shooting firearms, and after FLETC I would say I'm doing ok. I am left eye dominant, right handed and I shoot near perfect on firearm qualifications. Do not worry about it. And like others say, don't bother learning on your own. You'll just waste time, money, and you'll learn nothing by going with your 'buddies'.

Long guns (i.e. - M4's and shotguns) ...well, those are a different story for me. :P

Comment

Thanks again for the feedback. Appreciate it.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Comment

I'm left handed and right eye dominant.

It's made me a far better batter in Baseball/Softball, I'd say.

As far as work goes I haven't noticed anything detrimental about it. I shoot sidearms left handed without issues. I do shoot long guns right handed though.

Comment

Don't sweat it.
              I just close both eyes...
              Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

I am cross eye dominant and was the best shooter in the class. I still am one of the best shooters in my department. I shoot rifle with my right eye and my handgun with my left eye. Just the way it is.
                What Is A Veteran?
                A 'Veteran,' whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve is 'someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Comment

Hello All,

Thanks in advance
                  I am left handed..........VERY left handed.........but shoot right handed as I am right eye dominant.. I have been qualified on a Law Enforcement Range for right at 40 yrs.............so my instructors must have had it figured out.

It freaks out every DT instructor when I square off as a left hander but am packing my holster on my right side--------but they figure it out too.

Originally posted by reils49 View Post
                  Let the firearms instructors do their jobs and teach you to shoot. Don't try to figure this out before hand, acquiring bad havits along the way. It's often easier to instruct someone who has never shot before, than someone who has and thinks they know how to do it.

Sincerely,
                  A firearms instructor.
                  Listen to the fire arms instructor
                  Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Appreciate the insight, it's great to hear that there are people in the field, such as yourselves, who successfully shoot the same way. Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by Rasmblack View Post
                      I am cross eye dominant and was the best shooter in the class. I still am one of the best shooters in my department. I shoot rifle with my right eye and my handgun with my left eye. Just the way it is.
                      Any tips on how to do that with a pistol? I am right handed, left eye dominant.

Comment

Originally posted by camarritt2011 View Post
                        I can tell you how I do it...I simply move my dominate hand(left) across the midline of my chest until my dominate eye(right) picks up the gun's sights.

Although, making those sorts of adjustments might be easier for me and for left-handers as a whole than it would a right-hander. The world is designed and run by right-handers. Anybody left-handed pretty much has to learn to adjust to a right-handed world and is forced from childhood to adapt to pretty much everything that's designed for right-handed use.

Especially for people like me who are children of the 60's and 70's or older. there wasn't much for accommodating left-handedness when I was being schooled and no internet around to special-order stuff specifically designed for left-handed use. We learned to use right-handed pencil sharpeners and can openers and the like because we had to. On the plus side, it more or less molded us to be far more ambidextrous than the average person.

Comment

Originally posted by camarritt2011 View Post
                          I just line the sights with my left eye. This usually means that I move my hands a bit more to the left. The only time it is a bad thing is when I have to shoot from the right side of a barricade. The right side of my head is slightly sticking out without cover. Otherwise, I really do not notice it.
                          What Is A Veteran?
                          A 'Veteran,' whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve is 'someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Comment

Hello All,

Thanks in advance
                            I am right handed but left eye dominant. I shoot both pistol and rifle left handed although. I can shoot righty it isn't as comfortable for me except on the support side part of the qual. I used to freak the DT instructors because I'm fighting righty but my gun is lefty. Makes it a tad better for weapons retention as my gun is naturally behind me.

As far as FLETC you'll be fine with it. The pace of the class is VERY slow so people with no shooting experience will do fine. If you can get ahold of a bb pistol or real one or holsters. Practice holding it righty or lefty and see which side feels more comfortable to you. Then when you get your holster you issued you'll know which side to grab.

Comment

Thank you for the insights, especially the FLETC specific! Appreciate hearing it all.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10891 users online. 483 members and 10408 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X