300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LA County District Attorney Investigator

Good afternoon everyone. I have a lot of interest in the DA Investigator position in LA County. I have no idea if I am eligible for it though. Do they take out of state applicants? I am a probation/parole officer in Georgia with only two years experience. Would I even be considered for the position if I was eligible? What do they look for? Any information on this subject would be helpful. Thanks!

The guys who I know who were DA Investigators were basically the longtime PD/SO Detectives who were looking for a slower pace. So basically, competition was tough. I am sure it's still the same today.

Comment

Most of the guys/gals I know are either former LAPD or LASD folks either retired or at least 15 plus years on. The position is super competitive and you really have to know the right people to work your way in. It's not impossible of course, but can be pretty tough. They are looking for detectives/investigators with varying experience in different specialities. They will assign you to the unit that best meets your experience. Not sure your background, but you may have to go to a regular basic police acdemy out here in CA to be eligible to apply.

Comment

In order to get this, you would need to be a superior candidate. Good luck.
        Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

I don't think you are going to be eligible. If you go to the LA County website containing the minimum requirements for the position, it states you must have:

Two years of law enforcement experience within the last five years as a full-time paid peace officer as defined in Section 830.1 of the Penal Code of the State of California, or as an investigator with the Federal Government as defined in the Federal Job Series 1811 - and - an Associate's degree from an accredited college or university. Possession of a valid Basic Peace Officer Standards and Training Certificate is required.

LICENSE:
          A valid California Class C Driver License is required.

So, within the past five years, you are going to need two years of full time paid law enforcement experience as a Fed, or as a California municipal police officer, deputy sheriff, or DOJ agent, possess an AA degree or better, a California POST certificate and a California drivers license.
          Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Originally posted by L-1 View Post
            So, within the past five years, you are going to need two years of full time paid law enforcement experience as a Fed, or as a California municipal police officer, deputy sheriff, or DOJ agent, possess an AA degree or better, a California POST certificate and a California drivers license.
            And as L-1 posted, these are "minimum requirements for the position."

“Truth is not what you want it to be; it is what it is, and you must bend to its power or live a lie.”

Miyamoto Musashi

“Life Is Hard, But It's Harder When You're Stupid”

George V. Higgins (from The Friends of Eddie Coyle)

Comment

Thanks for the input. I figured the position was very tough to get, just wanted to hear it from someone who knows.

Comment

I say go for it. The worst they could say is no.

A DA Investigator isn't the most intense job but they can get some pretty high profile stuff.
                semper destravit

Comment

Always apply! ALWAYS.

Comment

Originally posted by ecg14 View Post
                    Thanks for the input. I figured the position was very tough to get, just wanted to hear it from someone who knows.
                    What does your background look like? You don't need to be specific, just general.

Comment

I graduated college with a degree in political science and government and have two years of experience working as a felony probation officer with the state of Georgia. While I do only have two years of experience in probation, we work with the DA's in our circuit closely and are always dealing with court obligations in some form or fashion, which is why I am drawn to this particular position. I think I'm going to go ahead and take all of your advice and apply, and just be surprised if I get contacted by them.

Comment

Go ahead and apply and see what happens, it never hurts.

However I will tell you this, until you get about 5 years on the job, you really don't know much about law enforcement. 5 years is generally the point in a law enforcement career when you have learned a lot and start feeling comfortable handling things and doing the job on your own. Until then you really don't have a lot for your resume and are not competitive.

Comment

Beach is correct. They want cops, not POs. This is an investigation spot.

Comment

So basically I need to look to becoming a police officer and then try to advance into an investigative role? I am not opposed to that. I just don't know the best way to go, which is why I'm here.

Comment

Originally posted by ecg14 View Post
                              So basically I need to look to becoming a police officer and then try to advance into an investigative role? I am not opposed to that. I just don't know the best way to go, which is why I'm here.
                              Not necessarily. Many counties and states across the country have government investigators who aren't law enforcement officers. Get in with one of those and that will give you some great investigative experience.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4190 users online. 197 members and 3993 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X