300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by jtl323 View Post
    Now that ICE is a branch of HSI, deportation officer makes it easier to lateral into full HSI, which has a journeyman of gs-13 whereas USMS is still capped at 12. Maybe that is their reasoning.
    HSI is a branch of ICE. ERO (Enforcement and Removal Operations) and HSI (Homeland Security Investigations) fall under the umbrella of ICE. It is not easy to lateral to HSI as a Deportation Officer with ERO.
    Last edited by brhawk02; 06-24-2016, 05:03 PM. Reason: .

Comment

• Originally posted by Zulu101 View Post
      Seems more like it. I can't imagine any (DUSM) stepping down to DO. I knew something was not right.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
      Stepping down? Ouch...haha
      Last edited by brhawk02; 06-24-2016, 05:02 PM. Reason: .

Comment

• Originally posted by brhawk02 View Post
        Stepping down? Ouch...haha
        No offense to any DO's but it is what it is. In my opinion, DUSM (1811) is above a DO (1801).

Comment

• Originally posted by Zulu101 View Post
          No offense to any DO's but it is what it is. In my opinion, DUSM (1811) is above a DO (1801).

It's interesting to me that you said what you did about the DO position (I'm a DO btw). I was just talking to a coworker of mine who is a DO on the USMS Fugitive Task Force, and, although he enjoys the task force, he said he would not want to be a DUSM. To each their own I guess.... I get to serve criminal warrants, I get into foot chases, and I get to travel the world, so I enjoy my job. I think the DUSM position is cool, but I wouldn't consider it a step up necessarily. Not to mention the pay is pretty much the same except journeyman DOs(as of now) may make a little more than a DUSM because of FLSA.

Comment

• People tend to get hung up on series codes. I'm not saying this is the case and I recognize that this example is black and white, but would you rather be an 1811 transporting prisoners or an 1801 on a gang or fug-ops task force?

Comment

• Originally posted by o2force10 View Post
              People tend to get hung up on series codes. I'm not saying this is the case and I recognize that this example is black and white, but would you rather be an 1811 transporting prisoners or an 1801 on a gang or fug-ops task force?
              In response to your comparison I'd definitely go 1801. How long does it take a new DO to get to a fug ops team? What work do they do as a rookie 1-3years in?

Comment

It's interesting to me that you said what you did about the DO position (I'm a DO btw). I was just talking to a coworker of mine who is a DO on the USMS Fugitive Task Force, and, although he enjoys the task force, he said he would not want to be a DUSM. To each their own I guess.... I get to serve criminal warrants, I get into foot chases, and I get to travel the world, so I enjoy my job. I think the DUSM position is cool, but I wouldn't consider it a step up necessarily. Not to mention the pay is pretty much the same except journeyman DOs(as of now) may make a little more than a DUSM because of FLSA.

Which RFTF has ICE DO on them? I know several HSI agents are. Maybe a district TF? What is DO journeyman?

Comment

• Originally posted by 6920 View Post
                  Which RFTF has ICE DO on them? I know several HSI agents are. Maybe a district TF? What is DO journeyman?
                  I don't know the difference between an RFTF and a district TF, but I've worked in a major ICE office on the east coast and a smaller office in the Midwest and both of my offices supplied DOs who worked full time with the local USMS fugitive task force. I've met DOs from other east coast offices and southern offices that are on USMS task forces.

DOs journeyman level is GS12.

Comment

I don't know the difference between an RFTF and a district TF, but I've worked in a major ICE office on the east coast and a smaller office in the Midwest and both of my offices supplied DOs who worked full time with the local USMS fugitive task force. I've met DOs from other east coast offices and southern offices that are on USMS task forces.

Midwest was most likely district TF. East coast could have been under RFTF umbrella. RFTF is regional. 3 I have seen on east coast had HSI agents assigned. I could see DO easily being on them in certain locations.

Don't take this the wrong way, but I have heard that DO usually respond after arrests to pick guys up. Glad to see that's not the case, or at least not the case everywhere.

Comment

People tend to get hung up on series codes. I'm not saying this is the case and I recognize that this example is black and white, but would you rather be an 1811 transporting prisoners or an 1801 on a gang or fug-ops task force?
                      While I'm not questioning the truthfulness of this ( please don't interpret as that) , I have NEVER heard of a DEO doing this, and especially on a regular basis. The entire point of the DEO position is to run the Usms cellblock operations. Now they *can* go out with an 1811 to assist in a warrant , but in most areas this happens extraordinarily rarely, and the fact that one is assigned to a task force blows my mind. So , to the applicants , while the rule is that "anything can happen" , please don't go applying now for DEO positions thinking it's the same thing. Also the statement that they "make almost the same thing" is true....but only when comparing them to the non 1811
                      Series DUSM ( GS 5/7/9) , because that Dusm is not getting LEAP yet. The DEO is not applicable for LEAP and in most districts will not get overtime ( just like the non 1811 Dusms will not either in most circumstances ).

The question of "how long will it take for a DEO to make it to a task force " is a non question, it's like saying "how long until a cow squirts cheese from its butt?" Could it happen? Sure. But the statistical reality would be staggering.
                      USMS Region 3
                      Info Session: Aug 2009 (Atlanta)
                      Interview: 10/26/09 (Atlanta)
                      Conditional Offer: 1/15/10
                      BackgroundInt: 2/1/10
                      Medical:2/15/10
                      MedicalReview: 4/15/10
                      FIT: 5/10/10 (Excellent)
                      Drug: 6/5/10
                      Fletc: APRIL 6, 2011!!!
                      Duty Station: Laredo,Tx

__________________________________________________ ______________________________
                      Border Patrol AgentApplied: 11/15/10
                      Written: 12/27/10
                      NOR: 12/29/10 (96)
                      To:
                      Medical:

Comment

• Originally posted by 6920 View Post
                        Most of the RFTF will have ICE involved .
                        USMS Region 3

__________________________________________________ ______________________________
                        To:
                        Medical:

Comment

If the DEO journeyman level is 12 that would be news to our DEO who has been in the position for 18+ years and is capped at GS-9. GS-12 is the journeyman for DUSM.
                          USMS Region 3

To:
                          Medical:

Comment

• Allow me to partially clarify , and bear in mind my answers aren't all inclusive.
                            The Usms has 4 levels of gun toters.
                            1) 0082 series deputy us marshal. This is the entry level GS 5/7/9 non leap position. You will perform all duties of the DUSM position with exception that if you're working warrants you must do so under umbrella of a CRIMINAL INVESTIGATOR us marshal.

2) 1811 DUSM or criminal investigator DUSM. See above, but you make LEAP and can fly solo. Starts at GS 11 and journey at 12.

3) detention enforcement officer.
                            You run detention operations. Technically you can do court or help with a warrant, but it isn't in job description and they aren't really trained for it. They do NOT go to BDUSM OR CITP. No leap. Cap at gs9.

4) aviation enforcement officer. Offshoot of DEO, but they run airborne detention operations.

There are plenty of other levels , but they are all sublevels of the criminal investigator category ( CIDUSM) , like INSPECTORS ( IOD TASK FORCE) or supervisory DUSM ( SDUSM) or assistant chief , or witsec inspector.

Does this make a bit more sense?
                            Last edited by jtl323; 06-25-2016, 12:17 AM.
                            USMS Region 3

To:
                            Medical:

Comment

• Originally posted by jtl323 View Post
                              While I'm not questioning the truthfulness of this ( please don't interpret as that) , I have NEVER heard of a DEO doing this, and especially on a regular basis. The entire point of the DEO position is to run the Usms cellblock operations. Now they *can* go out with an 1811 to assist in a warrant , but in most areas this happens extraordinarily rarely, and the fact that one is assigned to a task force blows my mind. So , to the applicants , while the rule is that "anything can happen" , please don't go applying now for DEO positions thinking it's the same thing. Also the statement that they "make almost the same thing" is true....but only when comparing them to the non 1811
                              Series DUSM ( GS 5/7/9) , because that Dusm is not getting LEAP yet. The DEO is not applicable for LEAP and in most districts will not get overtime ( just like the non 1811 Dusms will not either in most circumstances ).

The question of "how long will it take for a DEO to make it to a task force " is a non question, it's like saying "how long until a cow squirts cheese from its butt?" Could it happen? Sure. But the statistical reality would be staggering.
                              I think you may have misread the previous posts. We were taking about Deportation Officers (DO) of ICE/ERO, not DEO of the USMS.

Comment

I think you may have misread the previous posts. We were taking about Deportation Officers (DO) of ICE/ERO, not DEO of the USMS.
                                A classic example of why you shouldn't be reading and answering forums after midnight after being at work since 0630 the prior day. Oh well. Hopefully all my typing will serve to answer some *other* question then. My bad.

Good day .

I said good day, sir!!
                                USMS Region 3

To:
                                Medical:

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 12037 users online. 453 members and 11584 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X