300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by wildbill0351 View Post
    I see your frustration but you can't take away from the veterans who served honorably for their country! Do I fully agree with the vet preference? NO because I know there are many overly qualified applicants who are non vets but just because i am a vet doesn't mean i didn't work hard for the position. Being a vet is a small slice of the pie, being a fed Leo, and having a masters certainly helped! But good luck this go around, we all know the Service needs highly motto aged and qualified applicant regardless of veterans status.
    Interesting news here:

http://www.fedweek.com/fedweek/limit...erence-sought/

I agree with what this article is saying they want to implement. Vet pref should get you in the door with the Federal govt easier than regular folks, they deserve that, but it shouldnt be an automatic leg up hiring for them for the rest of their careers
    UNITED STATES BORDER PATROL
    "90 years of tradition unhindered by progress!"

honor first

Comment

• Originally posted by battlewagon View Post
      Interesting news here:

http://www.fedweek.com/fedweek/limit...erence-sought/

I agree with what this article is saying they want to implement. Vet pref should get you in the door with the Federal govt easier than regular folks, they deserve that, but it shouldnt be an automatic leg up hiring for them for the rest of their careers
      How would one manage this? Only being able to use your vet preference for one competitive appointment? How would they track that? How would they determine that a vet already serving in a competitive service position used their one time for that position? Many of us already in a competitive service position were best qualified for their current position without vet preference and if this "one time use" was the rule, we wouldn't have elected to use our one time for that application as we didn't need it.

Seems like an administrative nightmare.

Comment

• Originally posted by wildbill0351 View Post
        I see your frustration but you can't take away from the veterans who served honorably for their country! Do I fully agree with the vet preference? NO because I know there are many overly qualified applicants who are non vets but just because i am a vet doesn't mean i didn't work hard for the position. Being a vet is a small slice of the pie, being a fed Leo, and having a masters certainly helped! But good luck this go around, we all know the Service needs highly motto aged and qualified applicant regardless of veterans status.
        Who said I wanted to take anything away? All I wanted was a shot at the position, and I found out that no matter what my qualifications, experience, education, or even the fact that I was a current federal employee did not matter. My application was thrown in the trash.

So here I am 4 years later and looking at the position again and it looks so much less desirable now than it did then. Dropping to a GL-7, completing another academy, and possibly being assigned to a very undesirable location. Once at that location possibly being stuck in boring court duties for years. Even when I finally do get my pay grade back, I will only at that point be equivalent to my current position. Also I may have to fight for years to get back to a location that I want.

Keeping this stuff in mind, I am not continuing in the process. Good luck to those still in it.
        What is Perseverance?
        -Perseverance is commitment, hard work, patience, endurance.
        -Perseverance is being able to bear difficulties calmly and without complaint.
        -PERSEVERANCE IS TRYING AGAIN AND AGAIN.

BOP - BPA - ICE

Comment

• Originally posted by TheKansan View Post
          Who said I wanted to take anything away? All I wanted was a shot at the position, and I found out that no matter what my qualifications, experience, education, or even the fact that I was a current federal employee did not matter. My application was thrown in the trash.

So here I am 4 years later and looking at the position again and it looks so much less desirable now than it did then. Dropping to a GL-7, completing another academy, and possibly being assigned to a very undesirable location. Once at that location possibly being stuck in boring court duties for years. Even when I finally do get my pay grade back, I will only at that point be equivalent to my current position. Also I may have to fight for years to get back to a location that I want.

Keeping this stuff in mind, I am not continuing in the process. Good luck to those still in it.
          image.jpeg
          USMS Region 3
          Info Session: Aug 2009 (Atlanta)
          Interview: 10/26/09 (Atlanta)
          Conditional Offer: 1/15/10
          BackgroundInt: 2/1/10
          Medical:2/15/10
          MedicalReview: 4/15/10
          FIT: 5/10/10 (Excellent)
          Drug: 6/5/10
          Fletc: APRIL 6, 2011!!!
          Duty Station: Laredo,Tx

__________________________________________________ ______________________________
          Border Patrol AgentApplied: 11/15/10
          Written: 12/27/10
          NOR: 12/29/10 (96)
          To:
          Medical:

Comment

• This forum was a cool platform to get useful information from prospective applicants and listen to horror stories,success stories and now it has totally gone to CRAP...... I sincerely hope that people get it together and not to bash each other but instead help each other by putting out useful information.....Good Luck to all who applied

Comment

• It's unusual to see so much bashing in an 1811 thread. Cruise through the ATF, USSS, FBI, etc. threads and you'll find virtually none of it. Usually there's much more professional decorum displayed in these than the usual outside ask-a-cop threads where you see all the people salivating waiting to have the best dig on somebody and tell them how stupid they are.
              I was going to post the same sentiment but then I realized I lol'd at the 10" cock joke and felt I kind of lost my ability to comment on it... But it's no less true.

Sent from my Mystical Ãœberphone

Comment

• Now to steer away from the immature nonsense bashing.... From the day the PR announcement opened... How long has that process been until someone from that announcement went to the academy if at all

Comment

• Originally posted by bayranger View Post
                  It's unusual to see so much bashing in an 1811 thread. Cruise through the ATF, USSS, FBI, etc. threads and you'll find virtually none of it. Usually there's much more professional decorum displayed in these than the usual outside ask-a-cop threads where you see all the people salivating waiting to have the best dig on somebody and tell them how stupid they are.
                  I was going to post the same sentiment but then I realized I lol'd at the 10" cock joke and felt I kind of lost my ability to comment on it... But it's no less true.

Sent from my Mystical Ãœberphone
                  Not true, Before I was hired I watched these forums from many agencies for years and they are all exactly like this at first before applicants are weeded out of the process. As 30,000 applicants turn to 1,000 applicants you'll see the level of professionalism and civility greatly increase. The jerks will get their BQA letters one by one.

Comment

• For the ones processing under the PR announcement: What is your timeline after the interviews so far?

I am not in the PR running, just curious how this current opening will move forward.

Comment

• Originally posted by TheKansan View Post

Damn, in that 4 years you could have enlisted, gone to Afghanistan, and come back a 10 point vet. Good luck on this "fight" though.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mchutj20 View Post
                        Damn, in that 4 years you could have enlisted, gone to Afghanistan, and come back a 10 point vet. Good luck on this "fight" though.
                        ye seriously. they give these opportunities to veterans because those who decided to join the armed forces did so with the thought of "what will i do when i get out" while those who didnt think that they deserve just as much as those who sacrifices family time personal lives, relationships and money. We as veterans deserve the preference just as we deserve our education to be taken care of because of our contribution to this country. AND it doesnt hurt that we already have a higher level of discipline than a civilian and we are trained on firearms which would make the academies go by that much smoother. end of rant

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockTroopDevilDog View Post
                          ye seriously. they give these opportunities to veterans because those who decided to join the armed forces did so with the thought of "what will i do when i get out" while those who didnt think that they deserve just as much as those who sacrifices family time personal lives, relationships and money. We as veterans deserve the preference just as we deserve our education to be taken care of because of our contribution to this country. AND it doesnt hurt that we already have a higher level of discipline than a civilian and we are trained on firearms which would make the academies go by that much smoother. end of rant
                          we arent entitled to jack squat. we VOLUNTEERED. this thread is getting stupid real fast.

Comment

• Originally posted by CriticalOperator View Post
                            we arent entitled to jack squat. we VOLUNTEERED. this thread is getting stupid real fast.
                            ye exactly. we volunteered. they didnt. we took initiative, they didnt. we should should have a leg up on the competition.

Comment

• I totally understand folks frustrations! There's some super-motivated qualified dudes out there who would no doubt do a fantastic job if just given the chance.

However, with the volume of applicants, Vet Pref is an easy and lawful way to cut sizable swaths of the applicant pool down to more manageable numbers.

I don't think Vet Pref should exclude anyone, especially considering many of the Vet Pref eligibles are the support guys who sprained their ankle in training and milked the VA for 30%.

The 03 guys on the other hand, don't get me started. They deserve every head start they can get. There's a big difference in between the guys who were exposed to danger and the guys who crossed the wire everyday with one mission- to utterly destroy our nation's enemies.

Comment

• Originally posted by Semper0331 View Post
                                I totally understand folks frustrations! There's some super-motivated qualified dudes out there who would no doubt do a fantastic job if just given the chance.

However, with the volume of applicants, Vet Pref is an easy and lawful way to cut sizable swaths of the applicant pool down to more manageable numbers.

I don't think Vet Pref should exclude anyone, especially considering many of the Vet Pref eligibles are the support guys who sprained their ankle in training and milked the VA for 30%.

The 03 guys on the other hand, don't get me started. They deserve every head start they can get. There's a big difference in between the guys who were exposed to danger and the guys who crossed the wire everyday with one mission- to utterly destroy our nation's enemies.
                                agreed

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9267 users online. 352 members and 8915 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X