Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yep, saw that. Just impressed that so many qualify and are applying.

Comment

• Originally posted by NoLimit View Post
      Quick question if I am a federal employee would I select merit promotion or non competitive?

Did anyone answer this question? I applied as a non-competitive and probably should have applied as competitive, right?

Comment

• Originally posted by McCougar View Post
        Did anyone answer this question? I applied as a non-competitive and probably should have applied as competitive, right?
        Most current "normal" feds are competitive service, I do believe. I'll check my SF-fiddy when I get in the office.

Sent from my Mystical Ãœberphone

Comment

• Originally posted by UltimateFrisbee View Post
          Yep, saw that. Just impressed that so many qualify and are applying.
          As with any massively huge hire go ahead and chop that in half to about 2500 qualified applicants at the most basic level when the announcement closes. I'm sure a ton of people are applying who know they have a disqualifying factor (i.e. over 37 with no veteran status, etc) but are applying anyways. Couple that with people who jacked up their paperwork submission or did not submit the right documents. Plus add in the questionnaire answers and the numbers easily dwindle. In the grand scheme of things it will still be a few thousand but nowhere near the 5k max they put out there. Based on their errors last time if it were me I would limit it to the first 1,000 applicants. This would give you 4x the number of slots you have (estimating 200 positions) and not absolutely kill your HR department.
          Last edited by kwaz; 06-08-2016, 11:37 AM.

Comment

Correct me if I am wrong but if you're a 10 point veteran who just so happened to apply (and get) your current job under a competitive appointment I believe you can apply under both if you wanted but someone may need to correct me on that.

Comment

• Originally posted by kwaz View Post
              Correct me if I am wrong but if you're a 10 point veteran who just so happened to apply (and get) your current job under a competitive appointment I believe you can apply under both if you wanted but someone may need to correct me on that.
              I think it said you could only pick one

Comment

I think it said you could only pick one
                No it let you choose multiple answers

Comment

• Originally posted by CriticalOperator View Post
                  No it let you choose multiple answers
                  Correct. I chose both VRA and VEOA.

Comment

As with any massively huge hire go ahead and chop that in half to about 2500 qualified applicants at the most basic level when the announcement closes. I'm sure a ton of people are applying who know they have a disqualifying factor (i.e. over 37 with no veteran status, etc) but are applying anyways. Couple that with people who jacked up their paperwork submission or did not submit the right documents. Plus add in the questionnaire answers and the numbers easily dwindle. In the grand scheme of things it will still be a few thousand but nowhere near the 5k max they put out there. Based on their errors last time if it were me I would limit it to the first 1,000 applicants. This would give you 4x the number of slots you have (estimating 200 positions) and not absolutely kill your HR department.
                    Great points. Although the announcement (along with 99% of these announcements) does not stop at 5000 applicants. It stops at 11:59pm on THE DAY they receive 5000 applications. See the difference? The cutoff is the time. Not the number of applicants. There might be 15000 applicants by the time 11:59pm hits.
                    So many people read that section wrong because the number jumps out at you. I have little doubt they've already received 5000 applications by now yet it's still open until 12:59pm tonight.
                    If they are at 4999 applications at midnight, it'll go another day until 11:59pm the following night. Spread the word bc I see this so much on these forums lol.

Comment

It would have to be non-competitve. Merit promotion is for 13 and above .
                      USMS Region 3
                      Info Session: Aug 2009 (Atlanta)
                      Interview: 10/26/09 (Atlanta)
                      Conditional Offer: 1/15/10
                      BackgroundInt: 2/1/10
                      Medical:2/15/10
                      MedicalReview: 4/15/10
                      FIT: 5/10/10 (Excellent)
                      Drug: 6/5/10
                      Fletc: APRIL 6, 2011!!!
                      Duty Station: Laredo,Tx

__________________________________________________ ______________________________
                      Border Patrol AgentApplied: 11/15/10
                      Written: 12/27/10
                      NOR: 12/29/10 (96)
                      To:
                      Medical:

Comment

• Originally posted by Sean_82 View Post
                        Correct. I chose both VRA and VEOA.
                        Me too.

Comment

• Originally posted by bayranger View Post
                          Great points. Although the announcement (along with 99% of these announcements) does not stop at 5000 applicants. It stops at 11:59pm on THE DAY they receive 5000 applications. See the difference? The cutoff is the time. Not the number of applicants. There might be 15000 applicants by the time 11:59pm hits.
                          So many people read that section wrong because the number jumps out at you. I have little doubt they've already received 5000 applications by now yet it's still open until 12:59pm tonight.
                          If they are at 4999 applications at midnight, it'll go another day until 11:59pm the following night. Spread the word bc I see this so much on these forums lol.

I bet they will keep it open until midnight; however, I've seen a ton of agencies have the same stipulation only to yank it down in the middle of the day when they've reached their threshold.

Comment

• Applying as competitive is for anyone who is a federal employee with "status". It's similar to the basic applicant. The non-competitive is meant for people who have held a permanent position at the grade level of the opening or higher with the promotion potential up to or higher than the opening.

An example is if I am currently a permanent GS-7 employee that has a career ladder up to GS-12. I would be able to apply as non competitive. This is also applicable if you are a permanent GS-9 employee with a career ladder up to GS-13, along with many other situations.

It would not apply if I'm a GS-9 employee with a career ladder up to GS-11, or other similar situations. This is because the promotion potential is less than the GS-12 the Marshals offer.

There are other aspects of non competitive and competitive applications methods, but I wont go into the weeds on it.

Comment

I bet they will keep it open until midnight; however, I've seen a ton of agencies have the same stipulation only to yank it down in the middle of the day when they've reached their threshold.
                              I have seen this as well. Also, the language in the announcement is not entirely clear. If it were me, I would not be waiting around to get an application in.

The complete application package must be submitted by 11:59 PM (ET) on the day that 5,000 applicants have applied to receive consideration. The announcement is set to close within the first 24 hours of the posted date if 5,000 applicants have applied to receive consideration and may be extended for up to 5 business days.

Comment

• Here's one for you. In USAjobs if you go back and adjust your answers it creates a whole new application package. On time sensitive vacancies does it kick you to the back of the line or do you still maintain your "number in line" as it relates to being within the first X number of candidates. I had this happen to me with another job announcement recently and always wondered if I lost my spot in line or if I maintained it because I am sure they got to 250 applications quickly.
                                Last edited by kwaz; 06-08-2016, 12:41 PM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8658 users online. 392 members and 8266 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X