300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by donovanlmoss View Post
    Plus I can finish my degree while I'm in training, due to being 100% online.
    Tell us about a time you've dealt with a difficult coworker and how you resolved it.

Dude, they're not hiring FROM this thread...
    [emoji13]

Sent from my Mystical Ãœberphone
    Last edited by bayranger; 06-07-2016, 10:25 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by MaxD1207 View Post
      Most DUSMs that have around 6 or 7 years in were hired under the FCIP. The requirements under that program were very low. No LE experience or education required.
      Nowdays, your application package goes to the chief of the region you are applying to. If you dont have a degree it will be very difficult to be selected. For every applicant without a degree there are three exactly qualified applicants with degrees. Like Jtl said, it will be very difficult in the grand scheme.
      Agree with this. Many of the people that are DEA or USMS that IroqouisB knows may have been hired 5-10 years ago when hiring standards werent as competitive. I graduated 1 year ago from a 1811 academy. EvERYONE in my class had a BA at minimum PLUS significant work experience. To the point where I felt under qualified when I got there.

If you didn't have a BA you simply were not going to be hired when it came to my class. Again not saying its IMPOSSIBLE. You never know if you don't apply. But it will be a uphill climb for sure. My good friend is a DUSM and was hired under FCIP almost 7 years ago. He had a BA and a few years non-LEO work experience. He tells me today he doubts he would be hired with those same credentials. Again, doesn't mean you won't be. But to think you would have a good chance is most likely not true

Comment

• Do DUSMs earn LEAP before or after obtaining 1811 status?

Comment

• Originally posted by kwaz View Post
          You can have all the qualifications you want but at the end of the day a little lady luck always factors in. I personally don't get the insane popularity of being a Marshal considering one has to pull court duty and b.s. for several years before they can even be considered for 1811 status. Why do that when you can apply directly to 1811 jobs?

I am certainly not trying to be disrespectful, just trying to understand the popularity. Is it the name recognition of the agency? Is it the hope to one day to join the fugitive task force? Does every Marshal get the opportunity to work on a fugitive task force?

I know 13's who are good da** agents willing to give up their proactive criminal investigatory role at legitimate/good agencies all to take a 07 with the Marshals if offered. It makes no sense to me?
          The popularity is based on "man hunters" , " the fugitive", "raylan givens", and a few other shows/movies, with the medias coverage of the street operations of the Usms, and from the lies this agency popularizes itself while minimizing the very duties you will spend a sizable portion of your career doing.

I have testified till blue in the face that if you want a job where you're paid gobdoodles for doing unworthy work , apply. If you want a job where you do gobdoodles of worthy work for unworthy pay, become a street cop. Each person is different on what will allow them to sleep easier at night and retain dignity and self respect.

I know of more people in this agency who have sacrificed dignity and self respect for a paycheck than the other.

I know when I went home at night after locking up a murderer or a wife beater , or when I took my patrol car to my kids grammar school for show and tell and had happy children crawling through it and getting a positive LE experience ...... I had dignity and worth. Now, when people ask my kids what I do and they say " I don't know , he wears a suit and goes to court" , I want to eat a ****ing bullet.

Your experience may vary.

Caveat emptor.
          USMS Region 3
          Info Session: Aug 2009 (Atlanta)
          Interview: 10/26/09 (Atlanta)
          Conditional Offer: 1/15/10
          BackgroundInt: 2/1/10
          Medical:2/15/10
          MedicalReview: 4/15/10
          FIT: 5/10/10 (Excellent)
          Drug: 6/5/10
          Fletc: APRIL 6, 2011!!!
          Duty Station: Laredo,Tx

__________________________________________________ ______________________________
          Border Patrol AgentApplied: 11/15/10
          Written: 12/27/10
          NOR: 12/29/10 (96)
          To:
          Medical:

Comment

• Originally posted by Braves1831 View Post
            Do DUSMs earn LEAP before or after obtaining 1811 status?
            After
            USMS Region 3

__________________________________________________ ______________________________
            To:
            Medical:

Comment

• Originally posted by jtl323 View Post
              After
              that's not true. They get LEAP as soon as they graduate the academy and check into their new field office

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockTroopDevilDog View Post
                that's not true. They get LEAP as soon as they graduate the academy and check into their new field office

Ummmm....no. If you're hired as a 5/7/9 as 98% of DUSM hirees are, then you do NOT get LEAP until you reach 1811 status as a gs-11. The exception would be if hired under the lateral announcement as a 12, which happens every 10(?) yrs.
                As a non 1811 DUSM ( 082 series) you are eligible for overtime , which is different from LEAP and not guaranteed. Most districts you will get little to none.

So, when computing your salary as a hiree into a 5/7/9 082 series , take the opm pay scale and DO NOT add into the 25% leap.
                USMS Region 3

To:
                Medical:

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockTroopDevilDog View Post
                  Dude.....JTL is already a DUSM so I think he knows what he's talking about. I've seen a couple of your posts that have made me scratch my head. As a fellow Marine, I suggest maybe you should do a little research before you confidently post inaccurate information

Comment

• I've been in the process since 2012 so I have a little to add regarding whether you are competitive or not in the process. When I applied I had a bachelors in criminal justice (aka a useless paperweight) and no LEO experience,10pt veteran ( USMC). I received my tentative job offer off my original resume that stated as such. Since applying I began and just about completed my masters in business administration as well as get a job with the BOP (don't judge they were the first to call to stop my age clock) . My point is after the exams and interviews I was give a tentative offer off the "basic requirements". When they asked for my top three picks off the list HR provided I took the proactive approach and called the district and spoke to the actual Marshal and Chief to express my interest in the district. Luckily they really liked the initiative that I took and the fact I have worked to better myself since applying. My point is I threw my name in the hat and rode the bench for four years til I got the call! Never give up, I've lost out on many Leo jobs and at times got disgruntled but kept on it and it finally worked out!

Comment

• Originally posted by Motive View Post
                      Dude.....JTL is already a DUSM so I think he knows what he's talking about. I've seen a couple of your posts that have made me scratch my head. As a fellow Marine, I suggest maybe you should do a little research before you confidently post inaccurate information
                      Last I heard dusms don't get lesp til they get 1811 status

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

Comment

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdTMDpizis8

Watch it...
                        Last edited by Blackbeard526; 06-07-2016, 01:15 PM.

Comment

• 24/7 carry before and or after 1811 status?

Comment

• Originally posted by Braves1831 View Post
                            24/7 carry before and or after 1811 status?
                            Both. You have full arrest powers and carry rights , rights to fly armed, etc. The distinction between Usms 082 series and 1811 series is more an in-house administrative distinction for all intents and purposes . The Usms could grant 1811 status and leap to GS 5/7/9 if they wanted to....but they don't.
                            USMS Region 3

To:
                            Medical:

Comment

• Thanks for the information. What does the travel include (frequency)? Is it typically within the district? I'm sure it also depends on the location/district one is working.

Comment

• Originally posted by jtl323 View Post
                                The popularity is based on "man hunters" , " the fugitive", "raylan givens", and a few other shows/movies, with the medias coverage of the street operations of the Usms, and from the lies this agency popularizes itself while minimizing the very duties you will spend a sizable portion of your career doing.

I have testified till blue in the face that if you want a job where you're paid gobdoodles for doing unworthy work , apply. If you want a job where you do gobdoodles of worthy work for unworthy pay, become a street cop. Each person is different on what will allow them to sleep easier at night and retain dignity and self respect.

I know of more people in this agency who have sacrificed dignity and self respect for a paycheck than the other.

I know when I went home at night after locking up a murderer or a wife beater , or when I took my patrol car to my kids grammar school for show and tell and had happy children crawling through it and getting a positive LE experience ...... I had dignity and worth. Now, when people ask my kids what I do and they say " I don't know , he wears a suit and goes to court" , I want to eat a ****ing bullet.

Your experience may vary.

Caveat emptor.
                                That may quite possibly be the most real explanation I have heard. My experience with you guys has been very limited. To the extent of you guys showing me which cell to lock my prisoner up in and which passage way to get to courtroom B for first appearance. Other than that my impression has been you have a significant portion of guys that get wood by calling themselves Marshal or carrying the badge, then you have the other group that expected to be kicking in doors on day one. All very nice guys but I just never saw the hype. You put it in great context for all of us who always wondered where the hype comes from

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9759 users online. 436 members and 9323 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X