300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Usmc1586 View Post
    Says who? The announcement clearly states experience OR education OR a combination. No where does it state a bachelor's degree is required.

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk
    I think it's possible, but i think he's just saying that it's super competitive. I mean out of the first 5,000 they maybe hire 200, if that.. So you figure they are going to base it on veteran points, so 10pt veterans. Then education, bachelors or higher. Then already being in the federal government as a LEO is going to be a plus.. So out of 200 or whatever they do you are going to have to be/have all those things. But put in for it! It doesn't hurt and the worse thing they can say is no..
    Plus who are your references, That could play a roll also..
    Last edited by USMC85; 06-06-2016, 11:05 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by USMC85 View Post
      I think it's possible, but i think he's just saying that it's super competitive. I mean out of the first 5,000 they maybe hire 200, if that.. So you figure they are going to base it on veteran points, so 10pt veterans. Then education, bachelors or higher. Then already being in the federal government is going to be a plus.. So out of 200 or whatever they do you are going to have to be/have all those things. But put in for it! It doesn't hurt and the worse thing they can say is no..
      Plus who are your references, That could play a roll also..
      Thanks brother. Just have to wait until they open it up nationwide since I'm not currently a Fed or Vet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      "If I won the lottery, I'd buy myself a police department. I'd hire all my buddies and we'd all drive Corvette patrol cars and sit around the doughnut shop I would own. Whenever someone would come in and say "I guess this my tax dollars at work", I would tell him to get the hell out my doughnut shop, then we'd all laugh and try to figure out what to do next."

--Quote taken from User "kcso"....hope you don't mind buddy, but this was just too funny not to steal from you....I'm still laughing.--

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockTroopDevilDog View Post
        It's very competitive so without a bachelor's degree it wont be possible unfortunately.
        It IS competitive ...but there are people who are NOT veterans AND do not have bachelors degrees. It is NOT an absolute. It is however less likely in the grand scheme ....
        USMS Region 3
        Info Session: Aug 2009 (Atlanta)
        Interview: 10/26/09 (Atlanta)
        Conditional Offer: 1/15/10
        BackgroundInt: 2/1/10
        Medical:2/15/10
        MedicalReview: 4/15/10
        FIT: 5/10/10 (Excellent)
        Drug: 6/5/10
        Fletc: APRIL 6, 2011!!!
        Duty Station: Laredo,Tx

__________________________________________________ ______________________________
        Border Patrol AgentApplied: 11/15/10
        Written: 12/27/10
        NOR: 12/29/10 (96)
        To:
        Medical:

Comment

• I like to think I'm a bit of a special case, but who knows, haha. So I'm currently a United States Army CID Agent, it'll be three years in January plus 6 months of intern time, I have been enlisted for 8 years, and my Bachelor's degree will be completed in April of next year. My case, which I've included in my resumes, is that I can separate 6 months prior to my ETS date, 10 Jun 17. This would make my ETS date 10 Jan 17 and I can get earlier than that depending on the leave dates I have. The biggest kick in the pants for Early Separation to work is for me to have a either a scheduled course date or something in writing saying I'm hired. I've definitely explained all of this in my cover letter so here's hoping.

Comment

• Originally posted by donovanlmoss View Post
            I like to think I'm a bit of a special case, but who knows, haha. So I'm currently a United States Army CID Agent, it'll be three years in January plus 6 months of intern time, I have been enlisted for 8 years, and my Bachelor's degree will be completed in April of next year. My case, which I've included in my resumes, is that I can separate 6 months prior to my ETS date, 10 Jun 17. This would make my ETS date 10 Jan 17 and I can get earlier than that depending on the leave dates I have. The biggest kick in the pants for Early Separation to work is for me to have a either a scheduled course date or something in writing saying I'm hired. I've definitely explained all of this in my cover letter so here's hoping.
            Plus I can finish my degree while I'm in training, due to being 100% online.

Comment

• Originally posted by donovanlmoss View Post
              I like to think I'm a bit of a special case, but who knows, haha. So I'm currently a United States Army CID Agent, it'll be three years in January plus 6 months of intern time, I have been enlisted for 8 years, and my Bachelor's degree will be completed in April of next year. My case, which I've included in my resumes, is that I can separate 6 months prior to my ETS date, 10 Jun 17. This would make my ETS date 10 Jan 17 and I can get earlier than that depending on the leave dates I have. The biggest kick in the pants for Early Separation to work is for me to have a either a scheduled course date or something in writing saying I'm hired. I've definitely explained all of this in my cover letter so here's hoping.
              Not to be ***..... but there are folks with a lot more experience applying for this gig.

Also, last go around when they were looking to hire prior 1811s. CID course didn't count.......
              Last edited by Bearcat357; 06-07-2016, 05:56 AM.

Comment

• Everyone's chances:

There is no job that you do not have a "Chance" at getting.

I have a good chance at getting an interview.

Someone with my resume that speaks Spanish on top of it has a better chance.

Someone with my resume that speaks Spanish and has a Forensic Accounting certification has a better chance than the last guy.

The way to get job offers is to never "Meet Criteria" If the job you want requires a Bachelors, don't just stop improving your resume when you meet the standard. Start on your Masters the week after you graduate. If you only speak one language, get familiar with another, because a lot of current applicants are bilingual by upbringing.

The job market (even in the Fed) is competitive. Think of it as a boxing or wrestling match: if you are not actively working to gain a superior position at all times, you will lose to someone who does.

M-11
                “All men dream...... But not equally..
                Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it is vanity;
                but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men,
                for they act their dreams with open eyes to make it possible.....”

TE Lawrence

Comment

• Originally posted by Usmc1586 View Post
                  Says who? The announcement clearly states experience OR education OR a combination. No where does it state a bachelor's degree is required.

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk
                  I'll reiterate my earlier post and piggy back off of what Usmc1856 said about requirements. Let's start with - they are "minimum qualifications" - meaning you qualify to apply if you possess them. Now the catch is, there is no reason, rhyme, or perfect formula for getting hired. In theory you could get hired with the bare minimum requirements. Matter in fact - there was a DUSM in my undergrad class with 2 years of state corrections. Nothing more. Nothing less. I work local LE near a major border city. I have frequent contact with DEA and HSI 1811's. They come in all shapes and sizes. --No education with military; education with no military; no education but LE experience -- The list truely goes on.

Disregard the "nay sayers" - The days of higher education being put on a pedestal is coming to an end. I feel like more LE - state, local, and FEDERAL are starting to see that. If you're a viable candidate and qualify - YOU HAVE A CHANCE. It just so happens that out of all LE jobs. THIS (and other 1811/equivalent) job is heavily sought after.

Bottom line: You never know if you never try. There are many like you; so you're not "the one". AND absolutely don't rely on just one avenue to make yourself more attractive.
                  "The only easy day was yesterday"

Comment

• Originally posted by Bearcat357 View Post
                    Not to be ***..... but there are folks with a lot more experience applying for this gig.

Also, last go around when they were looking to hire prior 1811s. CID course didn't count.......
                    Oh I'm sure there are plenty of others with a lot more experience. I was just listing my experience so far. On top of my CID, I have time in the Army overall. I'm not shooting for the 1811 positions at the moment. I'm wanting to enter at the entry level position and work my way up.

Comment

• Originally posted by IroqouisB View Post
                      I'll reiterate my earlier post and piggy back off of what Usmc1856 said about requirements. Let's start with - they are "minimum qualifications" - meaning you qualify to apply if you possess them. Now the catch is, there is no reason, rhyme, or perfect formula for getting hired. In theory you could get hired with the bare minimum requirements. Matter in fact - there was a DUSM in my undergrad class with 2 years of state corrections. Nothing more. Nothing less. I work local LE near a major border city. I have frequent contact with DEA and HSI 1811's. They come in all shapes and sizes. --No education with military; education with no military; no education but LE experience -- The list truely goes on.

Disregard the "nay sayers" - The days of higher education being put on a pedestal is coming to an end. I feel like more LE - state, local, and FEDERAL are starting to see that. If you're a viable candidate and qualify - YOU HAVE A CHANCE. It just so happens that out of all LE jobs. THIS (and other 1811/equivalent) job is heavily sought after.

Bottom line: You never know if you never try. There are many like you; so you're not "the one". AND absolutely don't rely on just one avenue to make yourself more attractive.
                      I completely agree. You never know.

Comment

• Originally posted by donjuan856570 View Post
                        Thank you brother. I appreciate you responding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                        If you don't apply, you have a 0% chance.

apply and keep knocking out classes...
                        Last edited by Blackbeard526; 06-07-2016, 07:24 AM.

Comment

• You can have all the qualifications you want but at the end of the day a little lady luck always factors in. I personally don't get the insane popularity of being a Marshal considering one has to pull court duty and b.s. for several years before they can even be considered for 1811 status. Why do that when you can apply directly to 1811 jobs?

I am certainly not trying to be disrespectful, just trying to understand the popularity. Is it the name recognition of the agency? Is it the hope to one day to join the fugitive task force? Does every Marshal get the opportunity to work on a fugitive task force?

I know 13's who are good da** agents willing to give up their proactive criminal investigatory role at legitimate/good agencies all to take a 07 with the Marshals if offered. It makes no sense to me?

Comment

• when the heck is it opening lol

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockTroopDevilDog View Post
                              when the heck is it opening lol
                              My friend it is at Midnight on the 8th. Good luck to ya.

Comment

• Originally posted by IroqouisB View Post

Most DUSMs that have around 6 or 7 years in were hired under the FCIP. The requirements under that program were very low. No LE experience or education required.
                                Nowdays, your application package goes to the chief of the region you are applying to. If you dont have a degree it will be very difficult to be selected. For every applicant without a degree there are three exactly qualified applicants with degrees. Like Jtl said, it will be very difficult in the grand scheme.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8439 users online. 410 members and 8029 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X