300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 3.14 Beans View Post
    I have no clue. Personally, I don't understand why they ever convert, given that they aren't really CI's. But, I am interested in the answer, so please do share what you find out!
    This is actually true depending how you define "investigator". They technically do "investigate" the whereabouts of fugitives and try and find them. They can testify in grand jury hearings. They obviously also serve plenty of warrants and they do surveillance. Oh, also if you arent working fugitive task force, you even more rarely do any of what I just mentioned.

However if we are talking typical 1811, there are a lot of things the Marshals don't do that most bigger agency 1811's do (not counting the small agency OIGs).

They rarely or never have confidential informants signed up that they have to manage.

Rarely or never have to do undercover work.

Don't have to build a case up from the ground (their "cases" are go and find a fugitive, which is in itself a hard and dangerous thing to do, but not your typical "determine probable cause" case).

Don't have to worry about a AUSA flaking out and deciding NOT to take one of their cases (all of their cases are already federal cases they don't have to worry about getting a specific type of felon or a crap load of dope to get them charged federally).

Don't have to worry about using gov't money for paying informants and it leading to nothing.

Also rarely if never have to testify in open trial (however for most 1811's this is also true, but it is still always a possibility).

I almost forgot one of the biggest ones: Don't have to write affidavits for any type of warrant, wait 5 days for a AUSA to get back to you, correct the changes, resubmit, etc. The warrants they execute are for fugitives for which probable cause has already been determined by another agency to arrest, so no need to rewrite the warrant.

Not 100% sure on if they ever have to worry about collecting actual evidence , or preserving a crime scene/house, either. Again everyone they go after has PC determined already. Still I suppose they may have to in rare instances.

Don't know if any of the above is the reason you don't get journeyman 13 like most 1811 gigs but something to think about as the mission won't be changing.

You can look at it two ways I guess. You are normally working 9-5 unless you are on the fugitive task force. Which can be good and bad. It's a unique 1811 job in federal govt criminal justice system.
    Last edited by DaShwstoppahbk; 02-16-2016, 11:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by battlewagon View Post
      This is correct. my USBP classmate who got hired said you do you two years or however long doing prisoner transport, so wearing an official uniform, khakis and polo or whatever they dictate, and then once you hit fugitive task force you become an 1811 and start earning the higher pay grades, etc
      So is the thought that the new announcement will be some sort of 1801 and not an 1811 for the USMS? Every announcement for different agencies get's more and more ludicrous in how they hire. You would think that they would have some sort of system down, but NOOOOOO. Everyone has to be their own special snowflake I guess.

I originally was thinking that this would be an 1811 announcement like others. Am I wrong?

Comment

Originally posted by NC_Mtnman View Post
        So is the thought that the new announcement will be some sort of 1801 and not an 1811 for the USMS? Every announcement for different agencies get's more and more ludicrous in how they hire. You would think that they would have some sort of system down, but NOOOOOO. Everyone has to be their own special snowflake I guess.

I originally was thinking that this would be an 1811 announcement like others. Am I wrong?
        All Marshals announcements for the public or entry level hire at a 082 series GS7/9. You are then converted to 1811 automatically when you hit a GS11. You get your criminal investigator training during your initial academy though.

Comment

Originally posted by DaShwstoppahbk View Post
          All Marshals announcements for the public or entry level hire at a 082 series GS7/9. You are then converted to 1811 automatically when you hit a GS11. You get your criminal investigator training during your initial academy though.
          Thank you. I was not aware of this.

Comment

And the 082 series doesn't qualify for LEAP?

Comment

Hired in as 082 then when you jump to 11 you get 1811 and a g ride that's how it works.

Comment

Originally posted by JD2Fed View Post
                And the 082 series doesn't qualify for LEAP?
                No only straight OT but you will see it rarely as an 082

Comment

I would say a lot of this post and the other poster aren't quite right in several different aspects.

We do have some cases we run such as escapes, Adam Walsh Act, UFAP (although it is rare except in a top 15 case), arrests where we caught them dirty (guns/drugs), etc.

I have paid many informants but thank God I usually don't have to use them regularly so they get deactivated unless they develop something new for me.

I have written numerous affidavits for SW's, court orders, etc. Not in a traditional 25 page affidavit for one case, but for us it is more "volume". And have had to testified in Fed and State court. But believe me, I would rather just catch them and move on.

This job does depend greatly on where you are. My district is very pro-enforcement and we do a lot of good work. I would only bring 10-15 DUSM's (which we prob don't even have to come out in the street) if it is a particularly high-profile case and there are indicators the target may be a problem. Usually I may have half that number and a few TFO's.

I will not say the agency doesn't have its problems because it definitely does. But I will also say I have been lucky and have been in the streets for years in a major city. I still enjoy going to work everyday.

Good luck to everyone in the process now and in the future!

This is actually true depending how you define "investigator". They technically do "investigate" the whereabouts of fugitives and try and find them. They can testify in grand jury hearings. They obviously also serve plenty of warrants and they do surveillance. Oh, also if you arent working fugitive task force, you wont even do any of what I just mentioned.

However if we are talking typical 1811, there are a lot of things they don't do that most bigger agency 1811's do (not counting the small agency OIGs).

They rarely or never have confidential informants signed up that they have to manage.

Rarely or never have to do undercover work.

Don't have to build a case up from the ground (their "cases" are go and find a fugitive, which is in itself a hard and dangerous thing to do, but not your typical "determine probable cause" case).

Don't have to worry about a AUSA flaking out and deciding NOT to take one of their cases (all of their cases are already federal cases they don't have to worry about getting a specific type of felon or a crap load of dope to get them charged federally).

Don't have to worry about using gov't money for paying informants and it leading to nothing.

Also rarely if never have to testify in open trial (however for most 1811's this is also true, but it is still always a possibility).

I almost forgot one of the biggest ones: Don't have to write affidavits for any type of warrant, wait 5 days for a AUSA to get back to you, correct the changes, resubmit, etc. The warrants they execute are for fugitives for which probable cause has already been determined by another agency to arrest, so no need to rewrite the warrant.

Not 100% sure on if they ever have to worry about collecting actual evidence , or preserving a crime scene/house, either. Again everyone they go after has PC determined already. Still I suppose they may have to in rare instances.

Don't know if any of the above is the reason you don't get journeyman 13 like most 1811 gigs but something to think about as the mission won't be changing.

You can look at it two ways I guess. You are normally working 9-5 unless you are on the fugitive task force. Which can be good and bad. It's a unique 1811 job in federal govt criminal justice system.
                  Last edited by USMS08610083; 02-15-2016, 03:36 PM. Reason: Clarification

Comment

The highest pay grade they will offer you is GL-7/10. Nobody will be hired at GL-9 level for this announcement. Is take it or leave it.

Comment

Originally posted by USMS08610083 View Post
                      I would say a lot of this post and the other poster aren't quite right in several different aspects.

We do have some cases we run such as escapes, Adam Walsh Act, UFAP (although it is rare except in a top 15 case), arrests where we caught them dirty (guns/drugs), etc.

I have paid many informants but thank God I usually don't have to use them regularly so they get deactivated unless they develop something new for me.

I have written numerous affidavits for SW's, court orders, etc. Not in a traditional 25 page affidavit for one case, but for us it is more "volume". And have had to testified in Fed and State court. But believe me, I would rather just catch them and move on.

This job does depend greatly on where you are. My district is very pro-enforcement and we do a lot of good work. I would only bring 10-15 DUSM's (which we prob don't even have to come out in the street) if it is a particularly high-profile case and there are indicators the target may be a problem. Usually I may have half that number and a few TFO's.

I will not say the agency doesn't have its problems because it definitely does. But I will also say I have been lucky and have been in the streets for years in a major city. I still enjoy going to work everyday.

Good luck to everyone in the process now and in the future!
                      Good post. Funny how job can be so different in another district. My friend has never done any of those things as it relates to a investigation (affidavits, testify for a trial, I mean) except the Adam Walsh stuff. I admit I forgot about that. He did enjoy that stuff as well because it was different.

I should also clarify that I didn't mean you guys don't run your own cases. I get you guys do (escapes, etc.). I meant most of your cases are the "bad guy did something go get him/her" type of case vs. the "prove bad guy is doing or is about to commit a crime" cases which is a completely different animal.

My friend literally asked me how I normally would "start" a case, because all of his cases were normally given to him in the form of a active warrant. I'm sure there are exceptions to most of these rules. I will admit the informant thing did surprise me. I wasn't aware you guys signed people up at all. However, for the most part, if you are new and in a hard to fill office, I would imagine the extent of your work will be court work anyway.

The point I was trying to make is investigation work isn't the norm for the most part with the USMS almost like it isn't with the Secret Service. SS mandate is protection. Marshals is court and judicial protection. Those things will always come before investigation work. ATF, HSI, DEA, FBI simply aren't like that as they are ALL investigation work for the most part.
                      Last edited by DaShwstoppahbk; 02-15-2016, 04:39 PM.

Comment

Good post. Funny how job can be so different in another district. My friend has never done any of those things as it relates to a investigation except the Adam Walsh stuff. I admit I forgot about that. He did enjoy that stuff as well because it was different.

He literally asked me how I normally would "start" a case, because all of his cases were normally given to him in the form of a active warrant. I'm sure there are exceptions to most of these rules. I will admit the informant thing did surprise me. I wasn't aware you guys signed people up at all. However, for the most part, if you are new and in a hard to fill office, I would imagine the extent of your work will be court work anyway.

The point I was trying to make is investigation work isn't the norm for the most part with the USMS almost like it isn't with the Secret Service. SS mandate is protection. Marshals is court and judicial protection. Those things will always come before investigation work. ATF, HSI, DEA, FBI simply aren't like that as they are ALL investigation work for the most part.
                        As 082s DUSMs will get active warrant cases to work even if they are not assigned to enforcement/warrants

Comment

Originally posted by MaxD1207 View Post
                          As 082s DUSMs will get active warrant cases to work even if they are not assigned to enforcement/warrants
                          I never meant that they didn't. Just stated majority of their time is spent in court in bigger offices. I may have worded it weird, but that was the point I was trying to get across.
                          Last edited by DaShwstoppahbk; 02-16-2016, 11:57 PM.

Comment

Its open! Only 1 so far, and its 1811...

SALARY RANGE:$45,371.00 to $57,381.00 / Per Year
                            OPEN PERIOD:Tuesday, February 16, 2016 to Monday, February 22, 2016
                            SERIES & GRADE:GL-0082-07
                            POSITION INFORMATION:Full Time - Permanent
                            PROMOTION POTENTIAL:12
                            DUTY LOCATIONS:10 vacancies in the following location:
                            San Juan, PR View Map
                            WHO MAY APPLY:Status Candidates (Merit Promotion and VEOA Eligibles)

Comment

So it's not open to the public
                              Only federal experience or veteran

Comment

Yup, 10 spots possibly a few more in Puerto Rico. Everyone, do your research on that island before hand. Although a pretty and fun place to visit, it's a wreck of a place right now. I just spent a few years there. Good luck.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10953 users online. 478 members and 10475 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X