300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by TheKansan View Post
    Seems like a good plan to me. When the current federal employee announcement opens, I plan on doing the same thing. I am only going to apply for a few locations. I'm already a GS-12 federal LEO, and I have to have to drop to a GL-9 and do another academy, but for the perfect location, I will do it.

I want District of Kansas, specifically Kansas City, or Western District of Missouri, specifically Kansas City. Two federal court houses in two different districts about 3 miles away from each other and both in the Kansas City metro area.
    Very different districts. The vacancies in KC MO, get filled with guys from KC KS more often than not.

Comment

• Originally posted by 6920 View Post
      Its hard to tell this time around because specifics haven't been put out there. I work with 3 guys who came over in the past on laterals. All were 13s, all 3 are GS 12, step 10s. Two former USSS and one OIG. All 3 were placed in smaller desirable offices right off the bat. The border offices have been getting bodies for a while now, there are plenty of other very short handed, very good offices. I wouldn't be surprised to see the 1811 laterals get offered some of these.
      This is sad news for those who aren't already an 1811. I imagine the applicant pool will be very competitive people who don't deserve an undesirable next few years at the border or super court.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Comment

• I received paperwork to fill out and return.

Current 1801, CITP grad, Masters degree, disabled Vet.

Wishlist is pretty much anything in North Texas.
        Last edited by Blackbeard526; 05-31-2016, 09:08 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by hpy1 View Post
          I applied as a CITP grad. I'm a current GS-13. Any idea if they are pay matching. As for the wish list. I'm doing just that. I'm making it a wish list. I have five spots on my list that I imagine are very sought after. If I'm going to go to a 12 and back to FLETC. It is going to be for a "dream" spot. Based upon that, I highly doubt I get the location(s) I am seeking. Any word from the current Deputies on here as to if the wish list will be honored. I pretty much have TN & NC on my list (all small offices). My thought is slim to none at a small office in those states. Opinions?
          I'm in the same boat as you.
          I selected only North Texas cities on my wish list. If I'm lucky enough to get one of those, I take it, if not, i'll pass and let someone else take the academy slot. I'm very happy in my current employment and unwilling to relocate (on my own dime) to an undesirable location.
          Last edited by Blackbeard526; 05-31-2016, 09:10 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by jtl323 View Post
            If you were anything but a lateral entry applicant I would be laughing you off the forum for even suggesting you might get a dream spot. However for this lateral announcement...who knows. None of us really know how it's playing out. Are they going to send you to the border or less choice spots? Are they going to give you dream spots current Dusms would like to have just to entice you in? Who knows. As for pay matching , usually they will go to the highest step of the offered GS level, so if you were a 13 and you came on under a normal announcement where new hires were coming in as 7 or 9, they would prob step you to a high 9 as an enticement for you. But, this is already a lateral announcement where they are hiring at 11 or 12 (?) so I wouldn't expect further pay matching .
            In your opinion, what are the dream DUSM spots/locations? Which localities are the most sought after?
            Last edited by Blackbeard526; 05-31-2016, 09:10 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Blackbeard526 View Post
              In your opinion, what are the dream DUSM spots/locations? Which localities are the most sought after?
              Depends on the individual..... just like any Fed LEO gig.

Someone want to be close to their home of record while others are looking for the big city challenge.....

I interned in the Western District of MO.... when I first started, tons of court and only a few Deputies were out and about. New Chief came in and changed things around and got more folks on the street and more folks started wanting to work there by the time my internship was over because the word got out the District was getting active with the new Chief.

I've got buddies that work in DC and hate it.....while others love it because it's close to friends/family or they have put enough time in and are out in the streets now. I've got friends on the SW Border that love it because they hate the big city life and are able to do stuff during weekends/holidays.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bearcat357 View Post

Someone want to be close to their home of record while others are looking for the big city challenge.....

I interned in the Western District of MO.... when I first started, tons of court and only a few Deputies were out and about. New Chief came in and changed things around and got more folks on the street and more folks started wanting to work there by the time my internship was over because the word got out the District was getting active with the new Chief.

I've got buddies that work in DC and hate it.....while others love it because it's close to friends/family or they have put enough time in and are out in the streets now. I've got friends on the SW Border that love it because they hate the big city life and are able to do stuff during weekends/holidays.

Yep. There are cities where people want to transfer to knowing the office sucks , and then there are cities people want to transfer to because the office is great. North Carolina is regularly a popular spot, perhaps a mixture of the two. Houston is big because it has one of the highest retirement COLAs, office is so so. Tampa everyone wants to go to because it's Florida, but the office sucks. And like Bear said, you can put all your chips on red and get an office that's awesome and high speed and then overnight leadership can change and it will be the worst office, and vice versa. Unfortunately , the Usms has a centralized HQ that controls aspects of the job that should be left to the districts, but then the important stuff like making sure leadership aren't ******s and run an office into the ground is ignored and not managed by HQ. The Usms is quickly declining in its efficiency and morale is plummeting as leadership becomes more bureaucratic , more legal minded, more self serving , and losing sight of the mission and of the very work ethic that made the marshal service the best at what they do to begin with.

Whoa..... There I go ranting again.
                USMS Region 3
                Info Session: Aug 2009 (Atlanta)
                Interview: 10/26/09 (Atlanta)
                Conditional Offer: 1/15/10
                BackgroundInt: 2/1/10
                Medical:2/15/10
                MedicalReview: 4/15/10
                FIT: 5/10/10 (Excellent)
                Drug: 6/5/10
                Fletc: APRIL 6, 2011!!!
                Duty Station: Laredo,Tx

__________________________________________________ ______________________________
                Border Patrol AgentApplied: 11/15/10
                Written: 12/27/10
                NOR: 12/29/10 (96)
                To:
                Medical:

Comment

Yep. There are cities where people want to transfer to knowing the office sucks , and then there are cities people want to transfer to because the office is great. North Carolina is regularly a popular spot, perhaps a mixture of the two. Houston is big because it has one of the highest retirement COLAs, office is so so. Tampa everyone wants to go to because it's Florida, but the office sucks. And like Bear said, you can put all your chips on red and get an office that's awesome and high speed and then overnight leadership can change and it will be the worst office, and vice versa. Unfortunately , the Usms has a centralized HQ that controls aspects of the job that should be left to the districts, but then the important stuff like making sure leadership aren't ******s and run an office into the ground is ignored and not managed by HQ. The Usms is quickly declining in its efficiency and morale is plummeting as leadership becomes more bureaucratic , more legal minded, more self serving , and losing sight of the mission and of the very work ethic that made the marshal service the best at what they do to begin with.

Whoa..... There I go ranting again.
                  LOL. I'm pretty sure you just described my federal agency! and every other for that matter... haha

I was at a former Intelligence community in DC that ebbed and flowed with whoever the Presidential appointee was...

Comment

• Originally posted by Bearcat357 View Post

sounds like what I expected, but had to ask. You never know if you don't ask.
                    Thanks

Comment

• I hear quite a bit of rants on USMS, mainly stating due to liability it is slowly becoming a permanent desk job with little field work. That is where I am at with my current job and the outlook seems to be negative. Current applicant for DEA in final steps. Need to make a jump.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Comment

• Originally posted by SSgtPMO View Post
                        I hear quite a bit of rants on USMS, mainly stating due to liability it is slowly becoming a permanent desk job with little field work. That is where I am at with my current job and the outlook seems to be negative. Current applicant for DEA in final steps. Need to make a jump.

That's pretty much it. Everything is geared towards "safer" nowadays , and they keep steering us in the direction of "if you don't leave the office nothing can happen", and there has been talk about giving up warrants altogether , though I doubt that will materialize . With the recent interest from the AG in the Usms, we are looking at a potential massive growth in the regional fugitive task force area, which is great , but..... The Usms looks at the RFTF and IOD as the "real marshals" and "real cops" , whereas the district marshals are just .... Court monkeys that are only trusted to handle a firearm under certain circumstances. Perhaps this will change once we get a new director rather than the one we had that was more concerned with filling the ranks with her friends and family than running the show.
                        USMS Region 3

__________________________________________________ ______________________________
                        To:
                        Medical:

Comment

• A lot will depend on what district you are assigned. I've seen offices go from crappy management and no one wanting to be there and overnight with people leaving it all changes. Like with any job, you get what you put in and just don't be a dick.

Comment

• That is exactly right. Also consider how many joint task forces there are now. Let them do the filed work cause they signed up for it, everyone else stay at yourboffice, interview people, utilize databases and maybe do some survelliance, but don't put hands on anyone. Unless of course a federal prison transport.

Comment

• Originally posted by SSgtPMO View Post
                              That is exactly right. Also consider how many joint task forces there are now. Let them do the filed work cause they signed up for it, everyone else stay at yourboffice, interview people, utilize databases and maybe do some survelliance, but don't put hands on anyone. Unless of course a federal prison transport.

I can't tell if you're serious or not. There are many district Dusms with a decade or more of LEO/combat experience that didn't sign up to be paperweights or security guards in a tie. Watching younger guys and gals with no experience other than college and no business out there chasing bad guys ......it's frustrating .
                              USMS Region 3

To:
                              Medical:

Comment

I can't tell if you're serious or not. There are many district Dusms with a decade or more of LEO/combat experience that didn't sign up to be paperweights or security guards in a tie. Watching younger guys and gals with no experience other than college and no business out there chasing bad guys ......it's frustrating .
                                I was partially joking, but what you just said I can 100% agree with. It goes on where I am at. They want to get hand picked rookies exposure for recognition so they can build them up to be promoted while making themselves look good.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7109 users online. 370 members and 6739 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X