Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2016 U.S. Marshals Service Announcement

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Think I am going to have all my friends apply to the new US Marshal's HR Specialist (Recruitment & Placement) position that opened today...

    Comment


    • Originally posted by Willy Wigglesworth View Post
      Think I am going to have all my friends apply to the new US Marshal's HR Specialist (Recruitment & Placement) position that opened today...
      Just make sure he/she isn't incompetent

      Comment


      • Question for current DUSMs on the forum- Lateral applicants have to rank top 5 location preferences so my question is related to that. Is there any benefit to being in the same district when putting in for another location (years down the road)?

        Example: I rank city "A" #1 (realizing its a longshot). But City "B" is in the same district and is much larger. Any benefit to putting City "B" with hopes that within 10 years I could transfer to City "A"? Does that matter at all or does that not factor in?

        This would affect what I put as the other cities on the list (Due by June 1st). Thanks for any and all input guys and have a great weekend!

        Comment


        • Originally posted by super62 View Post
          Question for current DUSMs on the forum- Lateral applicants have to rank top 5 location preferences so my question is related to that. Is there any benefit to being in the same district when putting in for another location (years down the road)?

          Example: I rank city "A" #1 (realizing its a longshot). But City "B" is in the same district and is much larger. Any benefit to putting City "B" with hopes that within 10 years I could transfer to City "A"? Does that matter at all or does that not factor in?

          This would affect what I put as the other cities on the list (Due by June 1st). Thanks for any and all input guys and have a great weekend!
          After three years in your first duty station you are eligible to participate in OPREF, which allows you to select new offices you might want to transfer to anywhere there is a Usms office. HOWEVER, IN-district transfers are not controlled by OPREF, headquarters , nor a three year period. You can technically transfer within district after day one with the blessing of your Chief, who controls the entire district. So for example, if your duty station is Laredo Texas, you can in district transfer to Corpus Christi or Houston on day 2, whereas San Antonio or Dallas would be three years since they are different districts.

          Please note the above is technically true, hypothetical information, not taking into account manpower issues and in district waiting lists. I'm just telling you what you can do per policy.
          Last edited by jtl323; 05-29-2016, 12:48 PM. Reason: More
          USMS Region 3
          Info Session: Aug 2009 (Atlanta)
          Interview: 10/26/09 (Atlanta)
          Conditional Offer: 1/15/10
          BackgroundInt: 2/1/10
          Medical:2/15/10
          MedicalReview: 4/15/10
          FIT: 5/10/10 (Excellent)
          Drug: 6/5/10
          Fletc: APRIL 6, 2011!!!
          Duty Station: Laredo,Tx

          __________________________________________________ ______________________________
          Border Patrol AgentApplied: 11/15/10
          Written: 12/27/10
          NOR: 12/29/10 (96)
          To:
          Medical:

          Comment


          • Originally posted by jtl323 View Post
            After three years in your first duty station you are eligible to participate in OPREF, which allows you to select new offices you might want to transfer to anywhere there is a Usms office. HOWEVER, IN-district transfers are not controlled by OPREF, headquarters , nor a three year period. You can technically transfer within district after day one with the blessing of your Chief, who controls the entire district. So for example, if your duty station is Laredo Texas, you can in district transfer to Corpus Christi or Houston on day 2, whereas San Antonio or Dallas would be three years since they are different districts.

            Please note the above is technically true, hypothetical information, not taking into account manpower issues and in district waiting lists. I'm just telling you what you can do per policy.
            What are the actual chances transfering in district once you get somewhere?

            Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

            Comment


            • Originally posted by rmm310 View Post
              What are the actual chances transfering in district once you get somewhere?

              Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
              Your chances range from incredibly easy to impossible. You're talking about 94 different districts and hundreds of individual offices . Some districts people move around at whim anytime they want to, some districts there are waiting lists. It also depends on the state of Usms hiring..they aren't going to let 5 people transfer out of office X if there aren't people wanting to transfer INTO office X AND there is limited hiring going on to replenish losses.

              In short, there is no answer to that question.
              USMS Region 3
              Info Session: Aug 2009 (Atlanta)
              Interview: 10/26/09 (Atlanta)
              Conditional Offer: 1/15/10
              BackgroundInt: 2/1/10
              Medical:2/15/10
              MedicalReview: 4/15/10
              FIT: 5/10/10 (Excellent)
              Drug: 6/5/10
              Fletc: APRIL 6, 2011!!!
              Duty Station: Laredo,Tx

              __________________________________________________ ______________________________
              Border Patrol AgentApplied: 11/15/10
              Written: 12/27/10
              NOR: 12/29/10 (96)
              To:
              Medical:

              Comment


              • So just to confirm, the recent grads posting (not the PR announcement) hasn't been posted yet, right? I have been checking everyday and would be crushed if it posted and I didn't somehow see it.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by Jarrettg View Post
                  So just to confirm, the recent grads posting (not the PR announcement) hasn't been posted yet, right? I have been checking everyday and would be crushed if it posted and I didn't somehow see it.
                  Meaning the Pathways announcement? I haven't seen it .
                  USMS Region 3
                  Info Session: Aug 2009 (Atlanta)
                  Interview: 10/26/09 (Atlanta)
                  Conditional Offer: 1/15/10
                  BackgroundInt: 2/1/10
                  Medical:2/15/10
                  MedicalReview: 4/15/10
                  FIT: 5/10/10 (Excellent)
                  Drug: 6/5/10
                  Fletc: APRIL 6, 2011!!!
                  Duty Station: Laredo,Tx

                  __________________________________________________ ______________________________
                  Border Patrol AgentApplied: 11/15/10
                  Written: 12/27/10
                  NOR: 12/29/10 (96)
                  To:
                  Medical:

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by jtl323 View Post
                    Your chances range from incredibly easy to impossible. You're talking about 94 different districts and hundreds of individual offices . Some districts people move around at whim anytime they want to, some districts there are waiting lists. It also depends on the state of Usms hiring..they aren't going to let 5 people transfer out of office X if there aren't people wanting to transfer INTO office X AND there is limited hiring going on to replenish losses.

                    In short, there is no answer to that question.
                    So in other words, choose wisely when selecting a location. Yes you may get hired faster if you choose one location over another, but your chances of ending up where you want could be slim.
                    What is Perseverance?
                    -Perseverance is commitment, hard work, patience, endurance.
                    -Perseverance is being able to bear difficulties calmly and without complaint.
                    -PERSEVERANCE IS TRYING AGAIN AND AGAIN.


                    BOP - BPA - ICE

                    Comment


                    • I applied as a CITP grad. I'm a current GS-13. Any idea if they are pay matching. As for the wish list. I'm doing just that. I'm making it a wish list. I have five spots on my list that I imagine are very sought after. If I'm going to go to a 12 and back to FLETC. It is going to be for a "dream" spot. Based upon that, I highly doubt I get the location(s) I am seeking. Any word from the current Deputies on here as to if the wish list will be honored. I pretty much have TN & NC on my list (all small offices). My thought is slim to none at a small office in those states. Opinions?
                      Last edited by hpy1; 05-30-2016, 11:58 AM.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by hpy1 View Post
                        I applied as a CITP grad. I'm a current GS-13. Any idea if they are pay matching. As for the wish list. I'm doing just that. I'm making it a wish list. I have five spots on my list that I imagine are very sought after. If I'm going to go to a 12 and back to FLETC. It is going to be for a "dream" spot. Based upon that, I highly doubt I get the location(s) I am seeking. Any word from the current Deputies on here as to if the wish list will be honored. I pretty much have TN & NC on my list (all small offices). My thought is slim to none at a small office in those states. Opinions?
                        If you were anything but a lateral entry applicant I would be laughing you off the forum for even suggesting you might get a dream spot. However for this lateral announcement...who knows. None of us really know how it's playing out. Are they going to send you to the border or less choice spots? Are they going to give you dream spots current Dusms would like to have just to entice you in? Who knows. As for pay matching , usually they will go to the highest step of the offered GS level, so if you were a 13 and you came on under a normal announcement where new hires were coming in as 7 or 9, they would prob step you to a high 9 as an enticement for you. But, this is already a lateral announcement where they are hiring at 11 or 12 (?) so I wouldn't expect further pay matching .
                        USMS Region 3
                        Info Session: Aug 2009 (Atlanta)
                        Interview: 10/26/09 (Atlanta)
                        Conditional Offer: 1/15/10
                        BackgroundInt: 2/1/10
                        Medical:2/15/10
                        MedicalReview: 4/15/10
                        FIT: 5/10/10 (Excellent)
                        Drug: 6/5/10
                        Fletc: APRIL 6, 2011!!!
                        Duty Station: Laredo,Tx

                        __________________________________________________ ______________________________
                        Border Patrol AgentApplied: 11/15/10
                        Written: 12/27/10
                        NOR: 12/29/10 (96)
                        To:
                        Medical:

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by jtl323 View Post
                          If you were anything but a lateral entry applicant I would be laughing you off the forum for even suggesting you might get a dream spot. However for this lateral announcement...who knows. None of us really know how it's playing out. Are they going to send you to the border or less choice spots? Are they going to give you dream spots current Dusms would like to have just to entice you in? Who knows. As for pay matching , usually they will go to the highest step of the offered GS level, so if you were a 13 and you came on under a normal announcement where new hires were coming in as 7 or 9, they would prob step you to a high 9 as an enticement for you. But, this is already a lateral announcement where they are hiring at 11 or 12 (?) so I wouldn't expect further pay matching .
                          Pretty much the response I expected. The reality is, no new hire should expect a prime location with any agency. All should expect big city high cost of living, remote, or busy southwest border to start off. I'm already on the border (for almost six years) so there is absolutely no way I will bump down from a 1811-13-3 to a 1811-12-8/9 to stay on the border. In all reality, I would think they would transfer current DUSMs to the prime locations first; however, if they want laterals, I think the agency has to realize besides a few applicants, most are going to want decent spots to transfer over. I spoke to the DUSMs I know and no one seems to have any clue as to what the USMS plan is for the lateral announcement either.
                          Last edited by hpy1; 05-30-2016, 03:04 PM.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by hpy1 View Post
                            I applied as a CITP grad. I'm a current GS-13. Any idea if they are pay matching. As for the wish list. I'm doing just that. I'm making it a wish list. I have five spots on my list that I imagine are very sought after. If I'm going to go to a 12 and back to FLETC. It is going to be for a "dream" spot. Based upon that, I highly doubt I get the location(s) I am seeking. Any word from the current Deputies on here as to if the wish list will be honored. I pretty much have TN & NC on my list (all small offices). My thought is slim to none at a small office in those states. Opinions?
                            Seems like a good plan to me. When the current federal employee announcement opens, I plan on doing the same thing. I am only going to apply for a few locations. I'm already a GS-12 federal LEO, and I have to have to drop to a GL-9 and do another academy, but for the perfect location, I will do it.

                            I want District of Kansas, specifically Kansas City, or Western District of Missouri, specifically Kansas City. Two federal court houses in two different districts about 3 miles away from each other and both in the Kansas City metro area.
                            What is Perseverance?
                            -Perseverance is commitment, hard work, patience, endurance.
                            -Perseverance is being able to bear difficulties calmly and without complaint.
                            -PERSEVERANCE IS TRYING AGAIN AND AGAIN.


                            BOP - BPA - ICE

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by TheKansan View Post
                              Seems like a good plan to me. When the current federal employee announcement opens, I plan on doing the same thing. I am only going to apply for a few locations. I'm already a GS-12 federal LEO, and I have to have to drop to a GL-9 and do another academy, but for the perfect location, I will do it.

                              I want District of Kansas, specifically Kansas City, or Western District of Missouri, specifically Kansas City. Two federal court houses in two different districts about 3 miles away from each other and both in the Kansas City metro area.
                              pretty sure the highest Marshals will go for new hires with a current fed is 7 step 10. At least that is how it was for 2012 announcement
                              Last edited by Motive; 05-30-2016, 08:42 PM.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by hpy1 View Post
                                I applied as a CITP grad. I'm a current GS-13. Any idea if they are pay matching. As for the wish list. I'm doing just that. I'm making it a wish list. I have five spots on my list that I imagine are very sought after. If I'm going to go to a 12 and back to FLETC. It is going to be for a "dream" spot. Based upon that, I highly doubt I get the location(s) I am seeking. Any word from the current Deputies on here as to if the wish list will be honored. I pretty much have TN & NC on my list (all small offices). My thought is slim to none at a small office in those states. Opinions?
                                Its hard to tell this time around because specifics haven't been put out there. I work with 3 guys who came over in the past on laterals. All were 13s, all 3 are GS 12, step 10s. Two former USSS and one OIG. All 3 were placed in smaller desirable offices right off the bat. The border offices have been getting bodies for a while now, there are plenty of other very short handed, very good offices. I wouldn't be surprised to see the 1811 laterals get offered some of these.

                                Comment

                                MR300x250 Tablet

                                Collapse

                                What's Going On

                                Collapse

                                There are currently 11935 users online. 452 members and 11483 guests.

                                Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

                                Welcome Ad

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X