300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NoLimit View Post
    Not sure if anybody has any insight or knows someone who has been in this situation but does everybody get hired at the entry level or would the USMS match your pay from another Federal law enforcement agency? My guess is that it will depend on experience.
    Most your getting is GS7 step 10.

Comment

Originally posted by Njw85 View Post
      By looking at the website it seems as if the USMS is going back to the way it hired back in 09. With these separate announcments one can only think that it will be similar to FCIP. The Pathsway program is similiar to FCIP.
      Except Pathways is still bound by veteran's preference, and vets can apply up to six years after getting a degree. You still have law-degree holding, former intel officer and 10 point vet status applicants, so just like in an open announcement, your typical fresh-out-of-school 22 year old won't stand much of a chance.

Comment

Originally posted by aspiring_fed View Post
        Except Pathways is still bound by veteran's preference, and vets can apply up to six years after getting a degree. You still have law-degree holding, former intel officer and 10 point vet status applicants, so just like in an open announcement, your typical fresh-out-of-school 22 year old won't stand much of a chance.
        Unless that 22 year old is related to someone who holds some weight in the agency. Happens in every agency on every announcement. Nepotism is huge in the govt. I'm sure most of the Pathways folks will be related to someone. I see the Marshals all the time at district court, they stay pretty busy.

Comment

To those that have experience with the Recent Grad/Pathway Program,
          Upon being hired as a Recent Grad/Pathway, does it, for the most part, translate into a permanent position? I'm sure there's a caveat in the fine print that states "...conversion to a permanent position is not automatic or guaranteed." So for the most part are you converted to a permanent position? I'm not asking about the outliers who for whatever reason weren't able to get a permanent spot. This question isn't restricted to the upcoming USMS Recent Grad / Pathway announcement, but the gov't at large. Thanks in advance.

Comment

Originally posted by aspiring_fed View Post
            Yeah but they are only doing it by regions. I believe this will allow non veterans to get in. From what I heard it will be targeting law enforcement period whether thats fed or local. The job market is better now then before, there will be alot that apply but I doubt it hit the levels back in 2012. People are doing better now than before. Any how the USMS was a goal in my life at one time but if I land ATF I'm staying there. The USMS is a great career but things as changed in the last couple of years. I believe it requires a least 15 deputies to even do an arrest warrant now. Further the USMS are not out in the streets like they used to be. I know that for a fact. Does anyone know the set positions the USMS plans to hire? I know a couple of guys that retired so I can only assume lots more will be retiring.
            Last edited by Njw85; 02-15-2016, 09:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Njw85 View Post
              Yeah but they are only doing it by regions. I believe this will allow non veterans to get in. From what I heard it will be targeting law enforcement period whether thats fed or local. The job market is better now then before, there will be alot that apply but I doubt it hit the levels back in 2012. People are doing better now than before. Any how the USMS was a goal in my life at one time but if I land ATF I'm staying there. The USMS is a great career but things as changed in the last couple of years. I believe it requires a least 15 deputies to even do an arrest warrant now. Further the USMS are not out in the streets like they used to be. I know that for a fact. Does anyone know the set positions the USMS plans to hire? I know a couple of guys that retired so I can only assume lots more will be retiring.
              I know for a fact the "15 deputies" thing is not true. I'm sure it varies from field office to field office but I've never heard of that being an SOP. As for the set positions, from the memo it just says they are hiring at the entry-level position which is GS-7.

Comment

Didn't know entry was not 1811. What us the difference when the switch to 1811 happens at 11? Go to CITP and run an office?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by 4ston View Post
                  I know for a fact the "15 deputies" thing is not true. I'm sure it varies from field office to field office but I've never heard of that being an SOP. As for the set positions, from the memo it just says they are hiring at the entry-level position which is GS-7.
                  Very well likely, out here there are at least 12 to 15 per arrest warrant. Im detached to a federal agency, this is the buz I'm hearing. But like you said it depends on the office. I do know that they are not out like they used to be due to manpower. Im not worried about the qauls because I qaulify as a GS9. It would be nice for it to being GS9 in. They will lose some folks because of that I bet. Too much of a pay cut.

Comment

Originally posted by FutRTrPR View Post
                    Didn't know entry was not 1811. What us the difference when the switch to 1811 happens at 11? Go to CITP and run an office?

The only practical difference I know of is that you get LEAP when you convert, but not before.

Comment

Originally posted by 3.14 Beans View Post
                      The only practical difference I know of is that you get LEAP when you convert, but not before.
                      I'll do my research but do you happen to know why the convert? Why not hire as 1811? Is there some sort of historical significance

Comment

Originally posted by FutRTrPR View Post
                        I'll do my research but do you happen to know why the convert? Why not hire as 1811? Is there some sort of historical significance

I have no clue. Personally, I don't understand why they ever convert, given that they aren't really CI's. But, I am interested in the answer, so please do share what you find out!

Comment

Originally posted by jb2257
                          My understanding of the situation is that you are not hired as an 1811 because you will be doing prisoner transport/custody and court work for your first few years. They do not want to be paying you more or have you able to jump ship to another 1811 spot because you are bored with your current assignment. I could definitely be wrong, but that is how it has been explained to me in the past.
                          This is correct. my USBP classmate who got hired said you do you two years or however long doing prisoner transport, so wearing an official uniform, khakis and polo or whatever they dictate, and then once you hit fugitive task force you become an 1811 and start earning the higher pay grades, etc
                          UNITED STATES BORDER PATROL
                          "90 years of tradition unhindered by progress!"

honor first

Comment

Originally posted by battlewagon View Post
                            This is correct. my USBP classmate who got hired said you do you two years or however long doing prisoner transport, so wearing an official uniform, khakis and polo or whatever they dictate, and then once you hit fugitive task force you become an 1811 and start earning the higher pay grades, etc
                            I'd also keep in mind that you may never hit fugitive task force if you work at a large office. You could potentially be working court for 5-6 years before you get solely into fugitive task force. It all depends on the size of the field office or the personnel.

Comment

I applied in 2012, at the time, I just had a bachelors degree and 6 years campus police experience. Never got a call or email. I now have 3 years of full time municipal police experience and several department awards. I like being a cop and I currently specialize in making felony warrant arrests, I enjoy it and would like to make a career out of it. At my current department, a Det. Sgt. is assigned to a USMS Task Force and received a take home explorer with all the gear. Unfortunately, I would have to complete 20 years senority to get that position.

Any word if this will be a secret squirl announcement posted at midnight like last time? I will only be applying to the New England region since, I am 30 yoa and have a kid and wife. I can't uproot everything, for a job that will pay the same as what I am making now.

Comment

Originally posted by campuscop2000 View Post
                                I like being a cop and I currently specialize in making felony warrant arrests, I enjoy it and would like to make a career out of it.

At my current department, a Det. Sgt. is assigned to a USMS Task Force and received a take home explorer with all the gear. Unfortunately, I would have to complete 20 years senority to get that position.
                                As 4ston stated, be advised that it is not easy to get on to the fugitive task force at any office they most likely will be hiring for. You may very well have to complete 10 years at the Marshals to get that position. My good friend is a deputy in a southern state. Has been there since 2009. Not on the fugitive task force. He is in court majority of the time and you will be as well for your first 5-6 years minimum. Plan on THAT being the majority of your career/time.

Even after your first 5-6 years, task force spots are extremely competitive. Not to hate on the job. He gets to "go out" with the fugitive task force once a quarter for a week or so for his "rotation". Not sure how other offices work it in, but in the bigger offices, even the fugitive guys are in court alot. Funny thing is in his office he doesn't even get a take home ride UNLESS he is working warrants with the task force.

He loves the job. He also knew what it was going in. Make sure you guys do as well. 9-5 most days in court acting as a bailiff.
                                Last edited by DaShwstoppahbk; 02-15-2016, 05:20 PM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10680 users online. 459 members and 10221 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X