300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SSgtPMO View Post
    The competition is feirce, I would like the current feds to generate a pro con list for the aspiring applicants. I am in process with big 3 letter agency and all the cons and risk seem to show an unknown benefit. I am just passionate about the work itslf. Hard to see why people adore this field with so much risk, relocating, pay cuts, time away from family etc.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
    That's the thing though, a lot of folks are in love with the idea of being a CI but when it comes to actually putting the tremendous amount of time and work to become a very good one they fall short for various reasons. It is all fun and games until you have to do a week long 24/7 surveillance op or constant trash runs and then you really see which of your co-workers have "it" and which don't. I keep up with my FLETC colleagues and out of a class of 22 perspective agents one particular agency lost a quarter of their people within the first year because they realized the game wasn't for them and they quit. I think it illustrates the overall point that I made earlier about the number of people willing to stick with the long hours and hard work for 20+ years.

The KSA questions as a hiring tool are absolutely abhorrent. I don't condone it, but I can see why some candidates have moved to over inflate their experience as it relates to those questions just so they can get their resume in front of a human being. Why these agencies aren't asking these candidates why they put "Expert, I supervised this task..." when their resume does not show they were ever in a supervisory role is beyond me. It's as much on the agency for letting these people get through as it is on the candidate for lying.
    Last edited by kwaz; 04-06-2016, 07:24 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by kwaz View Post
      That's the thing though, a lot of folks are in love with the idea of being a CI but when it comes to actually putting the tremendous amount of time and work to become a very good one they fall short for various reasons. It is all fun and games until you have to do a week long 24/7 surveillance op or constant trash runs and then you really see which of your co-workers have "it" and which don't. I keep up with my FLETC colleagues and out of a class of 22 perspective agents one particular agency lost a quarter of their people within the first year because they realized the game wasn't for them and they quit. I think it illustrates the overall point that I made earlier about the number of people willing to stick with the long hours and hard work for 20+ years.

The KSA questions as a hiring tool are absolutely abhorrent. I don't condone it, but I can see why some candidates have moved to over inflate their experience as it relates to those questions just so they can get their resume in front of a human being. Why these agencies aren't asking these candidates why they put "Expert, I supervised this task..." when their resume does not show they were ever in a supervisory role is beyond me. It's as much on the agency for letting these people get through as it is on the candidate for lying.
      Good post. But with all the negative those still in the field love it. So it must be something you have to actually do to get a good idea. Except USMS. They are 8-5 court schedule. Haha

Comment

Consider those that need a better location or prefer M-F 8-5. I am sure there will be some movement within the fed.

I'll second that. Potential for a better location. Much different type of work. Sure there are a lot of lazy 1811s that don't ever like getting up early, staying out late, or do anything remotely LE related. Those are definitely the types who will be running in the opposite direction from this announcement anyway. I'm sure you'll see at least some applicants from agencies where morale is super-low (USSS/IRS-CI/HSI-trying to get off border) and those looking for a change in type of work.

Comment

Good post. But with all the negative those still in the field love it. So it must be something you have to actually do to get a good idea. Except USMS. They are 8-5 court schedule. Haha

That's the thing though some of us like the surveillance ops and the trash runs so I don't necessarily consider those negatives while some do. It's just considered less glamarous even though it's probably two of the most important things a CI can do when building their case.

Comment

• Originally posted by kwaz View Post
            That's the thing though some of us like the surveillance ops and the trash runs so I don't necessarily consider those negatives while some do. It's just considered less glamarous even though it's probably two of the most important things a CI can do when building their case.
            Yeah, I feel that is better than writing a 23 page affadavit. But also consider 3am call outs when you are on the border. It would be exciting at first but some want stability and will move to OIG or USPS 1811 gigs cause the work life balance. Or 1810 for opm.

Comment

Yeah, I feel that is better than writing a 23 page affadavit. But also consider 3am call outs when you are on the border. It would be exciting at first but some want stability and will move to OIG or USPS 1811 gigs cause the work life balance. Or 1810 for opm.

I cant imagine anyone moving to OPM 1810 from a CI 1811 simply because the 1810 is a non LE, non-6c, etc etc. Only time I see people go there is they are at retirement age 57.

That being said, I've tried many a times to get an OPM 1810. Get referred every time, and then get the 'someone selected' email a few months later. Those jobs are arguably even harder than an 1811, because a huge amount of candidates are actual 15 year 1811s retiring, so their resumes are solid.

And I've heard from one guy that is a highly sought after job for those who get preference points but aren't 'law enforcement' type people; one guy told me three times he got skimmed over because he was applying for an 1810 gig located outside a major military base, as many of their field offices are. All of the vet's spouses and kids were getting the slots non-competitively. so take that for what it's worth, which may not be much.
              UNITED STATES BORDER PATROL
              "90 years of tradition unhindered by progress!"

honor first

Comment

• I think out of all the agencies the two I have the utmost respect for are Border Patrol and Bureau of Prisons. Border Patrol for obvious reasons. I think their job is key to making our country safe and when they have an administration that takes the border as a serious threat I really think we will see that agency rise in terms of appeal to the mainstream as a great career opportunity. I know a few agents who started in Border Patrol so they could stop the clock. They quickly transitioned out to 1811 gigs, mainly cause they knew someone; however, my point still stands.

I'm not sure if it is the same way now but I know when I went through CITP BOP was the running joke. Which was sad, completely disrespectful, unnecessary. Those guys do a job that face it, 99% of Americans could not do. If someone wanted to be a Marshal bad enough but did not see an avenue to get there working for the BOP (whose ALWAYS hiring) could be a way. They are a part of the DOJ and one would think it would kind of give you an edge that a lot of candidates don't have in terms of setting yourself apart from the rest.

Comment

• Has anyone heard back regarding interview results for the PR announcement?

Comment

• Assignments

A few questions for those in the know. I’ll preface it by saying I understand the G can pretty much do whatever it wants since most Fed LEOs sign mobility agreements. However, I see there are 8 fairly large Hiring Regions. I'm wondering if you are only told you are going to a specific region or district and not necessarily the office when you accept the position and head off to training? Or…does the USMS let you know the specific city/office where you will be stationed when you accept the position? I know the FBI and DEA don’t tell you until mid-training and I’ve even seen my agency do inter-field office switches mid-training as well. Just curious as to what the typical procedure is for the USMS.

Thanks!

Comment

• Originally posted by IRS1811 View Post
                      A few questions for those in the know. I’ll preface it by saying I understand the G can pretty much do whatever it wants since most Fed LEOs sign mobility agreements. However, I see there are 8 fairly large Hiring Regions. I'm wondering if you are only told you are going to a specific region or district and not necessarily the office when you accept the position and head off to training? Or…does the USMS let you know the specific city/office where you will be stationed when you accept the position? I know the FBI and DEA don’t tell you until mid-training and I’ve even seen my agency do inter-field office switches mid-training as well. Just curious as to what the typical procedure is for the USMS.

Whatever region you apply for is the region you will be hired for. ie: Southern NY (NYC) region announcement will be hiring for just that region, not Alabama or some other place.

Thanks!

Comment

• I am not a USMS DUSM so I will not claim to a great source of knowledge about the upcoming announcements. Additionally, the upcoming lateral announcement could be totally different than entry level announcements in the past. However, in the past you applied for a region and upon completion of the hiring process HR would call with one location, take it or leave it. That is what I remember from the old school FCIP hiring drives. With all of the changes who knows. The positive is at least you will know the specific city you are going to before the academy begins and it is highly unlikely to change.

Comment

• Correct. They will tell you the duty location when you get your final offer.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1cowboy View Post
                            I am not a USMS DUSM so I will not claim to a great source of knowledge about the upcoming announcements. Additionally, the upcoming lateral announcement could be totally different than entry level announcements in the past. However, in the past you applied for a region and upon completion of the hiring process HR would call with one location, take it or leave it. That is what I remember from the old school FCIP hiring drives. With all of the changes who knows. The positive is at least you will know the specific city you are going to before the academy begins and it is highly unlikely to change.
                            Which is very fortunate considering DEA and FBI you get no clue where they will send you. All depends on what you want to do in life.

Comment

• Originally posted by IRS1811 View Post

Thanks!
                              You will almost always be told the exact office you will be going to . I say "almost" to allow for the possibility that you would only be notified of the district, but ive never heard of that happening.
                              USMS Region 3
                              Info Session: Aug 2009 (Atlanta)
                              Interview: 10/26/09 (Atlanta)
                              Conditional Offer: 1/15/10
                              BackgroundInt: 2/1/10
                              Medical:2/15/10
                              MedicalReview: 4/15/10
                              FIT: 5/10/10 (Excellent)
                              Drug: 6/5/10
                              Fletc: APRIL 6, 2011!!!
                              Duty Station: Laredo,Tx

__________________________________________________ ______________________________
                              Border Patrol AgentApplied: 11/15/10
                              Written: 12/27/10
                              NOR: 12/29/10 (96)
                              To:
                              Medical:

Comment

• One very big plus with the USMS, which in the long run would seem to make sense. Imagine the stress of a rookie in the FBI who is told at graduation you have to be at point A by this date. Good luck moving! At least the USMS allows for some time to get squared away beforehand

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9560 users online. 481 members and 9079 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X