Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Willy Wigglesworth View Post
    From the official memo:
    "As we evaluate the effectiveness of the new selection process, upcoming announcements will likely continue to be restricted to current/eligible government employees. Opening to the larger "All Citizens" population remains an option which we will implement if the applicant pools are not sufficient with this initial effort."

The only "credible info" I have seen pertaining to who can apply.
    Thanks, was just making sure I hadn't missed a new memo limiting the future announcements to Vets only. It will be interesting to see how the Pathways Recent Grads listing goes. Surely recent grad hiring wouldn't be limited to current fed employees, but who knows. I have creeped on the 2012 us marshal announcement forum and this one for a while and thought it time to ask some questions. I'm a graduating in May with a CJ degree and am enrolled in law school this fall. I have worked now for 6 years as a county probation officer, and am hoping to get in on a recent grad announcement with the USMS. I realize there is no guarantied path to DUSM, so I have devised a backup plan, which includes applying to the BOP and Border Patrol in my last year of law school (get my foot in the door). I would really appreciate some feedback on my plan and brutal honesty is fine. Direct message or comment back either way, any insight will be appreciated.
    Last edited by jonesdr; 03-28-2016, 03:23 PM.

Comment

• Hiring tools and personnel

Pathways is a hiring tool that will assist in hiring assets who are vets, college graduates and work well with like minded people. The pathways program gives the hiring authority more ability to cut lose potential dead weight due to the probationary period being longer than one year. This will give everyone the ability to obtain a position as DUSM that is deserving. I don't believe anyone regardless of background is more deserving of position in any agency. At some point everyone has basic skills, a team guy who graduates SQT that just graduated from college is still an asset. Whether he is a good operator is determined by his ability to work hard and continue learning. I learn every day, the day I do not take lessons from younger and older minds is the day I go away. That being said BDUSM is now tailored to tactics. The students shoot more, fight more and Hit more houses than previous academies. HRFA which is an advanced add on course that is basically a shorter review of the current academies training. It gives older deputies the ability to get acquainted with new techniques. For those in this process I wish you great luck in obtaining a position. This agency accomplishes more with less time after time and it's because we are elite. We can do everything that every other agency does but they cannot do what we do.

Comment

• Originally posted by jonesdr View Post
        Where does this "Marshals are hiring strictly VEOA eligibles" come from? Are we just referencing the last announcement, or is there some credible info that would lead us to believe that the coming announcements and recent grad opportunities will be vet only?
        They are opening the new hiring announcements per region for "status candidates and VEOA eligibles". My understanding is that once they get the heads to fill those slots they will open for the public.

Comment

• Originally posted by jtl323 View Post
          Yes and no.

Depends on where you are. Some guys hit the streets 6 months after joining. Other offices, i have guys with 10-15 years on sitting here in the squad room with me every day, all day, either in court or just sitting here twiddling thumbs, playing angry birds, reading. Anything but "enforcing". 50 % of it is the level of court business your district has scheduled. 50% of it is your chief/marshal/supervisor. A lot of them dont want the flack of shootings, arrests, tasings, car chases/wrecks, etc impacting their careers negatively, so they would rather you just not go out on the street. You dont go looking for trouble, there wont be no trouble.
          Straight up the truth! Man if your not a DUSM that's been around for a minute. Ha! Not sarcastically said either .

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockTroopDevilDog View Post
            They are opening the new hiring announcements per region for "status candidates and VEOA eligibles". My understanding is that once they get the heads to fill those slots they will open for the public.
            I hope that is the case. Right now I am batting 0, non-Fed, non-Vet. Just a local LEO with 4 languages, and Master's Deg

Comment

• Any rumors on when the next announcement will be?

Comment

Thanks, was just making sure I hadn't missed a new memo limiting the future announcements to Vets only. It will be interesting to see how the Pathways Recent Grads listing goes. Surely recent grad hiring wouldn't be limited to current fed employees, but who knows. I have creeped on the 2012 us marshal announcement forum and this one for a while and thought it time to ask some questions. I'm a graduating in May with a CJ degree and am enrolled in law school this fall. I have worked now for 6 years as a county probation officer, and am hoping to get in on a recent grad announcement with the USMS. I realize there is no guarantied path to DUSM, so I have devised a backup plan, which includes applying to the BOP and Border Patrol in my last year of law school (get my foot in the door). I would really appreciate some feedback on my plan and brutal honesty is fine. Direct message or comment back either way, any insight will be appreciated.
                If the Usms is indeed your end goal, then let me tell you one thing...you're over qualifying yourself with a law degree. Two options...one, forget the law degree and get on with BP or some other agency in the interim until you can make the Usms. Two, get the law degree and forget the Usms. WTF man, you get a law degree don't waste the money it takes to get that and the actual degree on agency that won't make any use of it. All negative things about the Usms aside, a law degree isn't what we are about. We need door kickers, we need investigators , we need the proverbial "rough men". We have no utilization for a law degree. We have guys with masters who are out of their own league. I'm not a fan of the FBI, but at least they will use that education .
                USMS Region 3
                Info Session: Aug 2009 (Atlanta)
                Interview: 10/26/09 (Atlanta)
                Conditional Offer: 1/15/10
                BackgroundInt: 2/1/10
                Medical:2/15/10
                MedicalReview: 4/15/10
                FIT: 5/10/10 (Excellent)
                Drug: 6/5/10
                Fletc: APRIL 6, 2011!!!
                Duty Station: Laredo,Tx

__________________________________________________ ______________________________
                Border Patrol AgentApplied: 11/15/10
                Written: 12/27/10
                NOR: 12/29/10 (96)
                To:
                Medical:

Comment

• It goes both ways whether you are a VET, Local LEO, FED LEO or a college grad...There is always someone in either category that someone may think isn't good enough for the job. I think we all can agree the wrong people slip through the cracks. I have worked with VETS, Local LEO, FED LEO and ollege grad and there are issues with each of them. The biggest thing is don't judge a book by its cover.

Comment

• Originally posted by jtl323 View Post
                    If the Usms is indeed your end goal, then let me tell you one thing...you're over qualifying yourself with a law degree. Two options...one, forget the law degree and get on with BP or some other agency in the interim until you can make the Usms. Two, get the law degree and forget the Usms. WTF man, you get a law degree don't waste the money it takes to get that and the actual degree on agency that won't make any use of it. All negative things about the Usms aside, a law degree isn't what we are about. We need door kickers, we need investigators , we need the proverbial "rough men". We have no utilization for a law degree. We have guys with masters who are out of their own league. I'm not a fan of the FBI, but at least they will use that education .
                    I talked to a Marshal the other day and he said a similar thing, law degree is overkill. The way I have it figured, I can spend 2 years on a masters degree or 3 on a law degree. Fortunately the cost shouldn't be terrible because I have a scholarship to go. Another thing he said was apply and forget about it, on their last hire it was over 3 years from time of application to being hired. I'm trying to be as realistic as possible and realize even with a law degree there is no guarantee I ever get the call. At least with a law degree I will have a profession to fall back on. There is always the possibility of a career ending injury and if that happens I don't want be up the creek without a paddle. Because someone has a law degree doesn't mean they turn into a tea sipper without the capability of being a rough man. If there are any doubts of my roughness, spending as much time as needed in the BP should alleviate that. I'm trying to play the long game and that long game is to eventually make it on a BQ list where I have a real shot at hiring on.

Comment

I talked to a Marshal the other day and he said a similar thing, law degree is overkill. The way I have it figured, I can spend 2 years on a masters degree or 3 on a law degree. Fortunately the cost shouldn't be terrible because I have a scholarship to go. Another thing he said was apply and forget about it, on their last hire it was over 3 years from time of application to being hired. I'm trying to be as realistic as possible and realize even with a law degree there is no guarantee I ever get the call. At least with a law degree I will have a profession to fall back on. There is always the possibility of a career ending injury and if that happens I don't want be up the creek without a paddle. Because someone has a law degree doesn't mean they turn into a tea sipper without the capability of being a rough man. If there are any doubts of my roughness, spending as much time as needed in the BP should alleviate that. I'm trying to play the long game and that long game is to eventually make it on a BQ list where I have a real shot at hiring on.
                      A law degree is a professional degree. You go to law school to go into a legal profession. Some people end up not litigating in court instead they read and write legal policy. The result is the same you are an attorney. I see you have a scholarship which is awesome. Law school is tough and its competitive. It's not something you get into to kill time while you're waiting to become an agent. I'm baffled by your plan to be honest. There are some on this forum who went to law school, became attorneys and after some time decided they wanted to become agents. I think that's fine because you worked your *** off in law school, got to the top of the mountain and decided it wasn't for you. You're talking about investing time into a field it sounds like you don't want to really work in. Law school should be plan A, B, and C. That's just me though...do it well or don't do it at all.

Comment

• Plenty of DUSMs with Law Degrees. Yes, it's kind of a waste. But so is doc review and sh*tlaw.

Comment

• New! The USMS will post a nationwide announcement open to all government employees wishing to be considered for employment as a Criminal Investigator, GS-1811-11/12. This announcement will be in addition to the government wide Deputy US Marshal hiring initiative and the new Recent Graduate Pathways Program announcement. Applicants who wish to apply under this upcoming announcement, must have satisfactorily completed the Basic Criminal Investigative Training Program (CITP) at the Federal Law Enforcement Training Center in Glynco, GA, or an equivalent training course. PLEASE direct all applicant inquiries regarding this employment opportunity to the Law Enforcement Hiring and Student Programs (LEHSP) Branch at USMS.Recruitment@usdoj.gov. More information concerning this upcoming announcement will be forthcoming.

Update: The Region 3 - Puerto Rico
                          As part of the application process, the USMS is conducting interviews for those applicants who have made it to the Structured Interview portion of the process. Interviews are being conducted in the District of Puerto Rico and in Headquarters. HRD would like to thank those Districts who provided structured interviewers and district recruiting officers at short notice for this endeavor. With the upcoming DUSM hiring initiative, there will be many opportunities for more structured interviewers and district recruiting officers to assist HRD in the future so stay tuned.

The External Deputy U.S. Marshal Hiring Drive

In partnership with OPM, HRD has begun posting external entry level Deputy US Marshal Announcements. The next announcement will be the CI, GS-1811 11/12 position. As the Deputy Director stated in his memo, it will be posted government wide. As we conclude our pilot regional PR announcement, HRD is reviewing the pros and cons of using regional announcements for future postings. One of the biggest cons was the sheer number of applicants we received for the targeted location. We had hoped this would be a way of keeping down our costs, but the applicant volume still doubled our original cost estimates. Since cost is a major factor in posting these announcements, the next entry-level Deputy US Marshal announcement will be nationwide instead of regional.
                          Currently the order of posting announcements will be will be:
                          o Region 3 – Puerto Rico Posted 2/16/16 - Closed
                          o CI, GS-1811 11/12 Government wide Posting Date: TBD
                          o DUSM GL-0082 07 Government wide Posting Date: TBD
                          o DUSM Recent Graduate Pathways Posting Date: TBD
                          HRD hopes to begin posting the next announcement as soon as we complete the application process of the previous announcement. More information about the DUSM hiring initiatives will be posted in the coming weeks as we finalize our plans with OPM.
                          All DUSM announcements will be posted at www.usajobs.com Any interested applicant is encouraged to establish an account in USAJOBS and set up their job notification alerts. Our announcements are very popular and the recent Puerto Rico announcement only stayed open for 24hrs. HRD continues to receive a lot of interest from the public and believes future announcements will open and close very quickly. HRD will make every effort to keep this page updated during this hiring drive. Please check back here for updates on posting links and hiring information.
                          As a reminder, all external applicants, (this includes applicants who are on the November 2012 certificates) will need to apply under the new external announcements if they want to be considered for future DUSM positions. Internal MP applicants (USMS Government Employees) have the option to apply for external announcements. If they are currently on the 2015 Internal USMS MP announcement certificate, this hiring certificate will remain open through FY2017 and those eligible employees will continue to be considered for the FY2016 BDUSM classes.

We have extended the November 2012 Best Qualified category certificates through June 2016. Applicants from the eight (8) regional certificates will be considered as we staff the upcoming June 2016 BDUSM Class. Applicants from the November 2012 certificates should send all inquiries regarding their DUSM application status to: DUSM.Exam@usdoj.gov

Comment

• Originally posted by MaxD1207 View Post
                            New! The USMS will post a nationwide announcement open to all government employees wishing to be considered for employment as a Criminal Investigator, GS-1811-11/12. This announcement will be in addition to the government wide Deputy US Marshal hiring initiative and the new Recent Graduate Pathways Program announcement. Applicants who wish to apply under this upcoming announcement, must have satisfactorily completed the Basic Criminal Investigative Training Program (CITP) at the Federal Law Enforcement Training Center in Glynco, GA, or an equivalent training course. PLEASE direct all applicant inquiries regarding this employment opportunity to the Law Enforcement Hiring and Student Programs (LEHSP) Branch at USMS.Recruitment@usdoj.gov. More information concerning this upcoming announcement will be forthcoming.

Update: The Region 3 - Puerto Rico
                            As part of the application process, the USMS is conducting interviews for those applicants who have made it to the Structured Interview portion of the process. Interviews are being conducted in the District of Puerto Rico and in Headquarters. HRD would like to thank those Districts who provided structured interviewers and district recruiting officers at short notice for this endeavor. With the upcoming DUSM hiring initiative, there will be many opportunities for more structured interviewers and district recruiting officers to assist HRD in the future so stay tuned.

The External Deputy U.S. Marshal Hiring Drive

In partnership with OPM, HRD has begun posting external entry level Deputy US Marshal Announcements. The next announcement will be the CI, GS-1811 11/12 position. As the Deputy Director stated in his memo, it will be posted government wide. As we conclude our pilot regional PR announcement, HRD is reviewing the pros and cons of using regional announcements for future postings. One of the biggest cons was the sheer number of applicants we received for the targeted location. We had hoped this would be a way of keeping down our costs, but the applicant volume still doubled our original cost estimates. Since cost is a major factor in posting these announcements, the next entry-level Deputy US Marshal announcement will be nationwide instead of regional.
                            Currently the order of posting announcements will be will be:
                            o Region 3 – Puerto Rico Posted 2/16/16 - Closed
                            o CI, GS-1811 11/12 Government wide Posting Date: TBD
                            o DUSM GL-0082 07 Government wide Posting Date: TBD
                            o DUSM Recent Graduate Pathways Posting Date: TBD
                            HRD hopes to begin posting the next announcement as soon as we complete the application process of the previous announcement. More information about the DUSM hiring initiatives will be posted in the coming weeks as we finalize our plans with OPM.
                            All DUSM announcements will be posted at www.usajobs.com Any interested applicant is encouraged to establish an account in USAJOBS and set up their job notification alerts. Our announcements are very popular and the recent Puerto Rico announcement only stayed open for 24hrs. HRD continues to receive a lot of interest from the public and believes future announcements will open and close very quickly. HRD will make every effort to keep this page updated during this hiring drive. Please check back here for updates on posting links and hiring information.
                            As a reminder, all external applicants, (this includes applicants who are on the November 2012 certificates) will need to apply under the new external announcements if they want to be considered for future DUSM positions. Internal MP applicants (USMS Government Employees) have the option to apply for external announcements. If they are currently on the 2015 Internal USMS MP announcement certificate, this hiring certificate will remain open through FY2017 and those eligible employees will continue to be considered for the FY2016 BDUSM classes.

We have extended the November 2012 Best Qualified category certificates through June 2016. Applicants from the eight (8) regional certificates will be considered as we staff the upcoming June 2016 BDUSM Class. Applicants from the November 2012 certificates should send all inquiries regarding their DUSM application status to: DUSM.Exam@usdoj.gov
                            It's wild to read that the USMS is still utilizing a certification list that is over 4 years old for upcoming vacancies. Asking candidates about their outdated relevant experience from resumes that old is awkward.

Comment

• I wonder if they'll fill that 11/12 announcement up as fast. I can't imagine a lot of people who have already completed CITP who are already in 1811s flocking to USMS to give up their current investigator spots. But just speculating. Guess most of us will be standing by for the traditional hiring announcement.

It also says recent graduates pathway; meaning you have to have already graduated? Thought it was for those in the process of obtaining a degree as well.
                              UNITED STATES BORDER PATROL
                              "90 years of tradition unhindered by progress!"

honor first

Comment

• Originally posted by battlewagon View Post
                                I wonder if they'll fill that 11/12 announcement up as fast. I can't imagine a lot of people who have already completed CITP who are already in 1811s flocking to USMS to give up their current investigator spots. But just speculating. Guess most of us will be standing by for the traditional hiring announcement.

It also says recent graduates pathway; meaning you have to have already graduated? Thought it was for those in the process of obtaining a degree as well.
                                I also cannot imagine there being THAT many 1811's from other agencies wanting to come over here. Perhaps some agents that think that they will get more street and door kicking time than their current posting, which may or may not happen, but.....most of any of these agents would be giving up journeyman 13 slots for a 12 that may never get to 13 journeyman.
                                USMS Region 3
                                Info Session: Aug 2009 (Atlanta)
                                Interview: 10/26/09 (Atlanta)
                                Conditional Offer: 1/15/10
                                BackgroundInt: 2/1/10
                                Medical:2/15/10
                                MedicalReview: 4/15/10
                                FIT: 5/10/10 (Excellent)
                                Drug: 6/5/10
                                Fletc: APRIL 6, 2011!!!
                                Duty Station: Laredo,Tx

__________________________________________________ ______________________________
                                Border Patrol AgentApplied: 11/15/10
                                Written: 12/27/10
                                NOR: 12/29/10 (96)
                                To:
                                Medical:

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9521 users online. 395 members and 9126 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X