Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2016 U.S. Marshals Service Announcement

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by jtl323 View Post
    Yes and no.

    Depends on where you are. Some guys hit the streets 6 months after joining. Other offices, i have guys with 10-15 years on sitting here in the squad room with me every day, all day, either in court or just sitting here twiddling thumbs, playing angry birds, reading. Anything but "enforcing". 50 % of it is the level of court business your district has scheduled. 50% of it is your chief/marshal/supervisor. A lot of them dont want the flack of shootings, arrests, tasings, car chases/wrecks, etc impacting their careers negatively, so they would rather you just not go out on the street. You dont go looking for trouble, there wont be no trouble.

    Wow! Thank you for the candid response, sir.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by jtl323 View Post
      I completely and absolutely understand your point of view. But, i didnt become a sheepdog and decide to do it based on political whim and support, public support, pats on the back, etc. Sheepdogs are almost always hated, that doesnt mean the flock doesnt still need watching.
      Totally agree. I work for the Mich State Police in Detroit, and after 8 years I still look forward going into work. Some of the biggest haters of Sheepdogs are lazy co-workers.
      Last edited by Metro21; 03-25-2016, 12:45 PM.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by jtl323 View Post
        Ill give you partial credit for this one.

        Yes, i should have known. However, i had worked with the Marshals and was told my experience would make me "go places". Further, in the massive info session and video/Q&A they did for those of us who got past the application stage , they told us " you will have to do your time, but after two or three years you will be on the streets with task forces, etc". So, it was a combination of ignorance and lies.
        Couldn't agree with you more when it comes to the lies thing. Luckily BEFORE I took my 1811 job I was in the govt for over 8 years at other agencies. I had seen first hand as well as heard stories of agencies saying the old "do your 3-5 somewhere and you will be able to transfer, get on the street, etc." Then you hear the stories of the sad souls who believed what they heard.

        Taught me to take it all with a grain of salt and not get my hopes up and know the worst case was always likely. That's why we on these forums TRY and warn people. These jobs aren't bad jobs at all. But the truth about them is stretched sometimes by recruiters or while speaking to guys in "good" offices. Sorry they got you JTL.
        Last edited by DaShwstoppahbk; 03-25-2016, 02:37 PM.

        Comment


        • Best piece of advice I ever received in the military and as a criminal investigator has always been, "if it's not in writing it didn't happen." Never take any agency at their "word." Always always always get it in writing, but as many of us know that's not going to happen at most agencies.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by jtl323 View Post
            That solace will last until Sunday evening when i prepare to return to work. I dont know what youre background is, but there was a time that after a few days off, i was preparing my uniform, getting my gunbelt out, getting my squad car ready, whistling while i prepare everything for work the next morning, excited to go see what the radio would bring to me that next day. Eager to save the world and enact violence upon my enemies. Then , i joined the FED.
            JTL323 want you appreciate the job you have and the amount of money you make instead of being negative creating a negative atmosphere on this new marshal thread. The 2012 thread you was so negative on there man, if you miss being a local cop do yourself a favor and go back to the job, Im sure there are a enough calls for service waiting for you to handle. I don't know what district you working in but I'm assuming its probably boarder district or DC where there nothing but court. Thats a different job at those places because thats what they do is court for illegals on the boarder or DC which is the federal Sheriff Jail for the DC area so the deputies there do correctional officers work but don't go on the streets and patrol. I been with the marshals for a year and a half and love the job its the best and easiest job I ever had, and its the first time in my working life I worked Monday through Friday with weekends off. I'm saying this after doing 10 + years as a local cop, all that running and gunning call to call and doing paper work that %70 time ain't gonna go any where or just a waste of time. I'm over that stuff, Im cool with eventually making a 6 figure pay going to court and working some warrants when I want to. Being a cop is overrated and not that joyful of a job especially these days, I feel for my fellow brothers on the police departments because this new generation of criminals don't respect police and don't care and most all have no fear of getting into trouble, Its tough. I got into the Marshals service for the $ its amazing how much we me make if I would of stayed where I was at I would topped at 70 grand and thats grinding in that job dealing with BS everyday. I appreciate working for the Marshals Service, I wish you would appreciate too because a lot of people would love this star I gotten more respect being a Deputy than I ever did as a cop. So if you want the action go back to being a local there no one holding you here. Let these guys on here see for themselves how the marshals service is be positive instead of negative because not all the district are ran the same it all depends where you end up. I don't mean to bust on you Im just being real with you man, Im sure you a good dude.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Juice733 View Post
              JTL323 want you appreciate the job you have and the amount of money you make instead of being negative creating a negative atmosphere on this new marshal thread. The 2012 thread you was so negative on there man, if you miss being a local cop do yourself a favor and go back to the job, Im sure there are a enough calls for service waiting for you to handle. I don't know what district you working in but I'm assuming its probably boarder district or DC where there nothing but court. Thats a different job at those places because thats what they do is court for illegals on the boarder or DC which is the federal Sheriff Jail for the DC area so the deputies there do correctional officers work but don't go on the streets and patrol. I been with the marshals for a year and a half and love the job its the best and easiest job I ever had, and its the first time in my working life I worked Monday through Friday with weekends off. I'm saying this after doing 10 + years as a local cop, all that running and gunning call to call and doing paper work that %70 time ain't gonna go any where or just a waste of time. I'm over that stuff, Im cool with eventually making a 6 figure pay going to court and working some warrants when I want to. Being a cop is overrated and not that joyful of a job especially these days, I feel for my fellow brothers on the police departments because this new generation of criminals don't respect police and don't care and most all have no fear of getting into trouble, Its tough. I got into the Marshals service for the $ its amazing how much we me make if I would of stayed where I was at I would topped at 70 grand and thats grinding in that job dealing with BS everyday. I appreciate working for the Marshals Service, I wish you would appreciate too because a lot of people would love this star I gotten more respect being a Deputy than I ever did as a cop. So if you want the action go back to being a local there no one holding you here. Let these guys on here see for themselves how the marshals service is be positive instead of negative because not all the district are ran the same it all depends where you end up. I don't mean to bust on you Im just being real with you man, Im sure you a good dude.
              This 100%

              Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

              Comment


              • Originally posted by Juice733 View Post
                JTL323 want you appreciate the job you have and the amount of money you make instead of being negative creating a negative atmosphere on this new marshal thread. The 2012 thread you was so negative on there man, if you miss being a local cop do yourself a favor and go back to the job, Im sure there are a enough calls for service waiting for you to handle. I don't know what district you working in but I'm assuming its probably boarder district or DC where there nothing but court. Thats a different job at those places because thats what they do is court for illegals on the boarder or DC which is the federal Sheriff Jail for the DC area so the deputies there do correctional officers work but don't go on the streets and patrol. I been with the marshals for a year and a half and love the job its the best and easiest job I ever had, and its the first time in my working life I worked Monday through Friday with weekends off. I'm saying this after doing 10 + years as a local cop, all that running and gunning call to call and doing paper work that %70 time ain't gonna go any where or just a waste of time. I'm over that stuff, Im cool with eventually making a 6 figure pay going to court and working some warrants when I want to. Being a cop is overrated and not that joyful of a job especially these days, I feel for my fellow brothers on the police departments because this new generation of criminals don't respect police and don't care and most all have no fear of getting into trouble, Its tough. I got into the Marshals service for the $ its amazing how much we me make if I would of stayed where I was at I would topped at 70 grand and thats grinding in that job dealing with BS everyday. I appreciate working for the Marshals Service, I wish you would appreciate too because a lot of people would love this star I gotten more respect being a Deputy than I ever did as a cop. So if you want the action go back to being a local there no one holding you here. Let these guys on here see for themselves how the marshals service is be positive instead of negative because not all the district are ran the same it all depends where you end up. I don't mean to bust on you Im just being real with you man, Im sure you a good dude.
                I agree. 100% although I am currently not a Marshal

                Comment


                • Originally posted by Juice733 View Post
                  JTL323 want you appreciate the job you have and the amount of money you make instead of being negative creating a negative atmosphere on this new marshal thread. The 2012 thread you was so negative on there man, if you miss being a local cop do yourself a favor and go back to the job, Im sure there are a enough calls for service waiting for you to handle. I don't know what district you working in but I'm assuming its probably boarder district or DC where there nothing but court. Thats a different job at those places because thats what they do is court for illegals on the boarder or DC which is the federal Sheriff Jail for the DC area so the deputies there do correctional officers work but don't go on the streets and patrol. I been with the marshals for a year and a half and love the job its the best and easiest job I ever had, and its the first time in my working life I worked Monday through Friday with weekends off. I'm saying this after doing 10 + years as a local cop, all that running and gunning call to call and doing paper work that %70 time ain't gonna go any where or just a waste of time. I'm over that stuff, Im cool with eventually making a 6 figure pay going to court and working some warrants when I want to. Being a cop is overrated and not that joyful of a job especially these days, I feel for my fellow brothers on the police departments because this new generation of criminals don't respect police and don't care and most all have no fear of getting into trouble, Its tough. I got into the Marshals service for the $ its amazing how much we me make if I would of stayed where I was at I would topped at 70 grand and thats grinding in that job dealing with BS everyday. I appreciate working for the Marshals Service, I wish you would appreciate too because a lot of people would love this star I gotten more respect being a Deputy than I ever did as a cop. So if you want the action go back to being a local there no one holding you here. Let these guys on here see for themselves how the marshals service is be positive instead of negative because not all the district are ran the same it all depends where you end up. I don't mean to bust on you Im just being real with you man, Im sure you a good dude.

                  love the wise words!!! from your experience.... how does NYC operate? is it more court/corrections work or on the street? thanks for the knowledge, and be safe

                  Comment


                  • To everyone who reads these threads and takes current deputies words of wisdom to heart I would like to interject my two cents. Currently, the deputies that are coming on board to entry level DUSM positions are by far more experienced and well versed than deputies of previous years. This is a fact that is well known at training division. With any new position you earn your keep by proving yourself. If a deputy isn't happy sitting in court than get your *** in shape and go to selection. In my federal experience which goes beyond being a DUSM the most efficient guys are the full time task force operators. If you don't like sitting in court an collecting a six figure salary, than do something to separate yourself from the pack. I have never seen anyone who was truly an asset sit on the bench. I have however seen a ton of bench coach warmers bitch about not getting playing time. That being said being in court is not always bad and like EVERY federal agency it's a part of the job. Court gives you extra family time that operational time does not. It gives you time to work out and focus on other aspects of life. This is my personal opinion and experience take it for what it's worth.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by NVYDSM23 View Post
                      To everyone who reads these threads and takes current deputies words of wisdom to heart I would like to interject my two cents. Currently, the deputies that are coming on board to entry level DUSM positions are by far more experienced and well versed than deputies of previous years. This is a fact that is well known at training division. With any new position you earn your keep by proving yourself. If a deputy isn't happy sitting in court than get your *** in shape and go to selection. In my federal experience which goes beyond being a DUSM the most efficient guys are the full time task force operators. If you don't like sitting in court an collecting a six figure salary, than do something to separate yourself from the pack. I have never seen anyone who was truly an asset sit on the bench. I have however seen a ton of bench coach warmers bitch about not getting playing time. That being said being in court is not always bad and like EVERY federal agency it's a part of the job. Court gives you extra family time that operational time does not. It gives you time to work out and focus on other aspects of life. This is my personal opinion and experience take it for what it's worth.


                      FACT! Anyone else wondering why the USMS would bring back Pathways ("interns")? The personnel from the academies of the 2012 announcement show what happens when you sift through 50,000 applicants to hire a few people. The classes were stacked with some seriously high caliber folks. There was "almost" no one who they hired who hadn't obviously earned a seat at the table. You couldn't say a female was hired to fill a quota because damn, she was a combat Vet with a masters degree and time as a beat cop, it went like that on and on. How many of those hired would say that the people who made it to the 2012 announcement academy classes but were internally hired (admin/DSO's) were at the top 50% of their classes (PT/Shooting/Academics) I bet they weren't, because although they were good folks they still got to circumvent the competitive process. They had a foot in the door, just like these Pathways hires will. Competition will always bring the best to the top. Today the brand new Deputy (former Marine Infantry Company Commander) sits through his semiannual performance review in front of his supervisor who was himself an intern hired 10 years ago directly from craptown college at 22 with zero experience. That new Deputy will be told about how he cant get perfect scores even though he earned them because then he wouldn't be able to show improvement. Said new deputy will go back to work wondering how these interns got so easily what he had to earn through massive amounts of experience/education/hard work. But yeah lets bring back the interns and give them six figure jobs right out of college. In order to better this agency we need to find out how the treasurer of the ultimate frisbee club can use his experience to make America safer.

                      End of rant.

                      By the way as always this is a great job: $100K/G-ride/Gun/Badge/Court/Taskforce/moreCourt/Happy-Family-at-Home

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by DUSMthing View Post
                        FACT! Anyone else wondering why the USMS would bring back Pathways ("interns")? The personnel from the academies of the 2012 announcement show what happens when you sift through 50,000 applicants to hire a few people. The classes were stacked with some seriously high caliber folks. There was "almost" no one who they hired who hadn't obviously earned a seat at the table. You couldn't say a female was hired to fill a quota because damn, she was a combat Vet with a masters degree and time as a beat cop, it went like that on and on. How many of those hired would say that the people who made it to the 2012 announcement academy classes but were internally hired (admin/DSO's) were at the top 50% of their classes (PT/Shooting/Academics) I bet they weren't, because although they were good folks they still got to circumvent the competitive process. They had a foot in the door, just like these Pathways hires will. Competition will always bring the best to the top. Today the brand new Deputy (former Marine Infantry Company Commander) sits through his semiannual performance review in front of his supervisor who was himself an intern hired 10 years ago directly from craptown college at 22 with zero experience. That new Deputy will be told about how he cant get perfect scores even though he earned them because then he wouldn't be able to show improvement. Said new deputy will go back to work wondering how these interns got so easily what he had to earn through massive amounts of experience/education/hard work. But yeah lets bring back the interns and give them six figure jobs right out of college. In order to better this agency we need to find out how the treasurer of the ultimate frisbee club can use his experience to make America safer.

                        End of rant.

                        By the way as always this is a great job: $100K/G-ride/Gun/Badge/Court/Taskforce/moreCourt/Happy-Family-at-Home
                        Pathways is just another method Federal agencies use to hire people. This program has started since 2012. Nothing stops an applicant from finishing a Master's program and applying under Pathways. Why do people feel the need to bash Pathways and veteran's hiring preferences? If you've been with Feds and in the working world long enough, you should know that there's no magic bullet to hiring. There are plenty of idiots along with smart dedicated Feds from all walks of life including: fresh college grads, military vets, local LEO, and private sector folks.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by ShockTroopDevilDog View Post
                          love the wise words!!! from your experience.... how does NYC operate? is it more court/corrections work or on the street? thanks for the knowledge, and be safe
                          SDNY?

                          They have a specialty unit for everything. They have opportunities and also the "Flagship" RFTF is based there. They also have lots of court, but you can get into the protective intelligence unit, etc they even have their own WMD and medics.

                          Seniority does count in some instances in the agency, but competence, attitude, and drive go a lot further. You can draw your own conclusions on that and what you read in this thread. But the fact is some guys would complain that the free bar of gold they received is too heavy.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by NVYDSM23 View Post
                            To everyone who reads these threads and takes current deputies words of wisdom to heart I would like to interject my two cents. Currently, the deputies that are coming on board to entry level DUSM positions are by far more experienced and well versed than deputies of previous years. This is a fact that is well known at training division. With any new position you earn your keep by proving yourself. If a deputy isn't happy sitting in court than get your *** in shape and go to selection. In my federal experience which goes beyond being a DUSM the most efficient guys are the full time task force operators. If you don't like sitting in court an collecting a six figure salary, than do something to separate yourself from the pack. I have never seen anyone who was truly an asset sit on the bench. I have however seen a ton of bench coach warmers bitch about not getting playing time. That being said being in court is not always bad and like EVERY federal agency it's a part of the job. Court gives you extra family time that operational time does not. It gives you time to work out and focus on other aspects of life. This is my personal opinion and experience take it for what it's worth.
                            And you are right on the $$.

                            With all the promotional potential to specialty positions, if you cannot get a personally satisfying position, you either cannot/will not move, don't apply yourself, have been marked as a known complainer, or don't really want to.

                            There are RFTF spots on the OPREF for crying out loud. Full time task force inspector! But I guarantee they will take the guys with good reputations and not the complainers regardless of what the complainers say.

                            IMO, This is the best job there is. Period.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by jtl323 View Post
                              That solace will last until Sunday evening when i prepare to return to work. I dont know what youre background is, but there was a time that after a few days off, i was preparing my uniform, getting my gunbelt out, getting my squad car ready, whistling while i prepare everything for work the next morning, excited to go see what the radio would bring to me that next day. Eager to save the world and enact violence upon my enemies. Then , i joined the FED.
                              Originally posted by DaShwstoppahbk View Post
                              This is the exact problem with many applicants. Not saying its a bad thing to have this thought of wanting to go out and be a "sheepdog". That 's a great mentality. Unfortunately most agencies in the fed gov't will NOT let you be this way. Wake up now if you have this mentality ...it's a dream.

                              You want anything CLOSE to street cop work the feds is NOT the place for it and probably hasn't been for most agencies for 20+ years. Even DEA, ATF, and HSI who ARE on the street more, are out a lot less and held back by more restrictions then they were long ago. If you want SOME street work, rarely but SOMEWHAT consistently, those would be the 1811 agencies to look at, but even then it won't be anywhere near patrol work for a local unit and it still will largely depend what division, office, group, and supervisor you are assigned.

                              The feds aren't like you see on TV folks. The faster applicants figure that out, the faster we will stop getting disappointed new hires.
                              If you all want a street-cop style job with the feds, border patrol is your best bet hands down. our stuff is like you see on TV (border wars), and you are interacting with 0 or 50 people a day on traffic stops, foot patrol, etc. up to you. all depends on the agent. dont feel like making traffic stops or talking to people? no worries, go brush up in a bush and wait for a group of 20 to cross illegally, or for 500 pounds of drugs to come across. BP is a great job, pays well, and is a ****ing blast. you can get in a pursuit a day if you know where to look for them. or you can hold down a stationary point and take it slow if youre not feeling good that day. i have absolute freedom. you get your keys and assignment, and that is the last time i see someone wearing brass until muster the next day. not that i mind, i love my supervisors, and they treat me well. i am on an office desk detail right now that plans visits for VIPs. met the commissioner of DHS my first week. ive escorted and toured congressmen, and lead some high ranking DoD official around yesterday. i got this gig 100% because of a supervisor who liked me vouching for me. people talk about supervisors sucking at their current agencies; there is not a single supervisor who i dont absolutely love being at work with, and many of them who i would or actively get together with outside work. that goes for even higher up, watch commanders, etc. i call the border patrol the Bro Patrol because it truly is a bro-fest, and i mean that in a good way.

                              my detail is an office setting, which is not what i like, but it is a break from the field, a Monday-Friday, 7-5 easy job. so you can be absolutely caked and covered in mud from neck to boots, or sitting in an office chair. BP has it all. boats, atvs, dirtbikes, horses, and all the details like firearms, FTO, academy, etc.

                              yes some disgruntled agents at ****ty stations will tell you otherwise. and yes we just had a pay cut. but still a great job. if i was single, i would be here 35 years until they force me out. but i am not, and am considering my current and future family, so i want to land a job that can get me to the east coast, even if i have to do 10 years in the next agency to get it. that is my only complaint about BP; i can never get home with it.


                              just my two cents for guys who are city cops and dont want to give up the action, or those who want to try it out. plus once youre in the competitive service, youre in the door. ive turned down firm offers from other fed agencies after doing their process, and for example i have my SAC meeting next week for federal air marshals, which i need to cancel. but im that last step away from a tentative offer from them and i only got that far because im a status candidate applying non competitively. so if you dont make US Marshals, or this last page is discouraging you, give BP a second thought. there is an open vacancy right now.


                              Just my two cents.
                              Last edited by battlewagon; 03-26-2016, 05:46 PM.
                              UNITED STATES BORDER PATROL
                              "90 years of tradition unhindered by progress!"


                              honor first

                              Comment


                              • Oftentimes when the stark truth is delivered it is interpreted as complaining or negativity. Which is why I frequently reiterate that I love my job and am lucky to have it.

                                The refrain, however, is twofold: 1) stop thinking that you are going to do 3 years at an undesirable place and get where you want and 2) there is a demonstrated Marie Antoinettesque regard from HR for DUSMs in this position.

                                Reality isn't always negative, but it's important to reveal the entire picture, even as it seems it never really sinks in to someone who only sees what he wants to see.

                                Comment

                                MR300x250 Tablet

                                Collapse

                                What's Going On

                                Collapse

                                There are currently 9884 users online. 478 members and 9406 guests.

                                Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

                                Welcome Ad

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X