300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by jtl323 View Post
    Thats awesome. When i looked at my "quote" I actually thought " I must have been angrier and more dejected than normal when i wrote that, because i dont remember it". Worried me for about 45 seconds.
    Or, "how I stopped worrying and learned to love that life is not fair." If we accept that fundamental unfairness is the predominant theme of this walking shadow, we should not be shamed for calling things by their appropriate name. Which is to say that there is no objective criteria for OPREF selections. Deputies are advised to stock up on the following:
    http://www.ruindays.com/products/butthurt-care-package

Comment

• Originally posted by do_some View Post
      Or, "how I stopped worrying and learned to love that life is not fair." If we accept that fundamental unfairness is the predominant theme of this walking shadow, we should not be shamed for calling things by their appropriate name. Which is to say that there is no objective criteria for OPREF selections. Deputies are advised to stock up on the following:
      http://www.ruindays.com/products/butthurt-care-package
      Youre not helping my depression, sir. *Im* supposed to be the angriest person on this thread.....
      USMS Region 3
      Info Session: Aug 2009 (Atlanta)
      Interview: 10/26/09 (Atlanta)
      Conditional Offer: 1/15/10
      BackgroundInt: 2/1/10
      Medical:2/15/10
      MedicalReview: 4/15/10
      FIT: 5/10/10 (Excellent)
      Drug: 6/5/10
      Fletc: APRIL 6, 2011!!!
      Duty Station: Laredo,Tx

__________________________________________________ ______________________________
      Border Patrol AgentApplied: 11/15/10
      Written: 12/27/10
      NOR: 12/29/10 (96)
      To:
      Medical:

Comment

Youre not helping my depression, sir. *Im* supposed to be the angriest person on this thread.....
        At least we can take solace in the bounty of payday weekend. It's beautiful out there too.

Comment

• To all those of you looking to join this *dream* agency....

We are about 750 bodies short of full strength. Attrition and retirement continue to cut into that number, i expect we will be 1000 down by end of year. We dont have the endless numbers the FBI has. 1000 down equals 1/4 of our workforce. Court is the bread and butter of this meal. Everything else comes last . All the "saving the world one day at a time" crap can be left at the door. This agency is quickly becoming a nothing, led by pencil pushers and co-ops , where military and LEO experience is not only undervalued but discriminated against. Being out in the field responding to danger is looked at as "unneccessary risk", and is being lawyered until no one wants to do it anymore. If youre an Alpha male/female, look elsewhere. If you are a professional sheepdog.....the flock has moved on and you will be leashed to your doghouse. Fair warning.
          USMS Region 3

__________________________________________________ ______________________________
          To:
          Medical:

Comment

At least we can take solace in the bounty of payday weekend. It's beautiful out there too.
            That solace will last until Sunday evening when i prepare to return to work. I dont know what youre background is, but there was a time that after a few days off, i was preparing my uniform, getting my gunbelt out, getting my squad car ready, whistling while i prepare everything for work the next morning, excited to go see what the radio would bring to me that next day. Eager to save the world and enact violence upon my enemies. Then , i joined the FED.
            USMS Region 3

To:
            Medical:

Comment

• Man sounds like you need another career.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• Originally posted by Lunytunezpr View Post
                Man sounds like you need another career.

Concur.
                USMS Region 3

To:
                Medical:

Comment

That solace will last until Sunday evening when i prepare to return to work. I dont know what youre background is, but there was a time that after a few days off, i was preparing my uniform, getting my gunbelt out, getting my squad car ready, whistling while i prepare everything for work the next morning, excited to go see what the radio would bring to me that next day. Eager to save the world and enact violence upon my enemies. Then , i joined the FED.
                  This is the exact problem with many applicants. Not saying its a bad thing to have this thought of wanting to go out and be a "sheepdog". That 's a great mentality. Unfortunately most agencies in the fed gov't will NOT let you be this way. Wake up now if you have this mentality ...it's a dream.

NO offense JTL at all, but I'm not sure you did your research on the Marshals BEFORE applying. Unless you are a 20 yr+ guy. I was a intern with them 10 years ago, and the job was mostly what it is now.....COURT. And I was in a small mid west office. My friend has been a deputy since 09. He knew going in it would be mostly court. If you got hired in that time frame, shame on you for not knowing that. You can say "things were different 10 years ago". Ok that may be true, but if I, as a INTERN, can figure out in 6 months what the job was, I don't really believe it was SIGNIFICANTLY different back then, even if you perceive it was.

You want anything CLOSE to street cop work the feds is NOT the place for it and probably hasn't been for most agencies for 20+ years. Even DEA, ATF, and HSI who ARE on the street more, are out a lot less and held back by more restrictions then they were long ago. If you want SOME street work, rarely but SOMEWHAT consistently, those would be the 1811 agencies to look at, but even then it won't be anywhere near patrol work for a local unit and it still will largely depend what division, office, group, and supervisor you are assigned.

The feds aren't like you see on TV folks. The faster applicants figure that out, the faster we will stop getting disappointed new hires.

Comment

• Times have changed.
                    I wouldn't even wanna be doing street work everyday.

Political atmosphere isn't the same and were in danger.. I don't mind the salary doing less street work.

I'd much rather be there for my family than to be with my chest out being an "alpha" on the street, waiting to get shot at, sued and not backed by the president or government official because of media fear or public opinion.

Times have changed and my vision/goals/dreams have also shifted. I'm perfectly fine with it.

Comment

• Originally posted by DaShwstoppahbk View Post
                      This is the exact problem with many applicants. Not saying its a bad thing to have this thought of wanting to go out and be a "sheepdog". That 's a great mentality. Unfortunately most agencies in the fed gov't will NOT let you be this way. Wake up now if you have this mentality ...it's a dream.

NO offense JTL at all, but I'm not sure you did your research on the Marshals BEFORE applying. Unless you are a 20 yr+ guy. I was a intern with them 10 years ago, and the job was mostly what it is now.....COURT. And I was in a small mid west office. My friend has been a deputy since 09. He knew going in it would be mostly court. If you got hired in that time frame, shame on you for not knowing that. You can say "things were different 10 years ago". Ok that may be true, but if I, as a INTERN, can figure out in 6 months what the job was, I don't really believe it was SIGNIFICANTLY different back then, even if you perceive it was.

You want anything CLOSE to street cop work the feds is NOT the place for it and probably hasn't been for most agencies for 20+ years. Even DEA, ATF, and HSI who ARE on the street more, are out a lot less and held back by more restrictions then they were long ago. If you want SOME street work, rarely but SOMEWHAT consistently, those would be the 1811 agencies to look at, but even then it won't be anywhere near patrol work for a local unit and it still will largely depend what division, office, group, and supervisor you are assigned.

The feds aren't like you see on TV folks. The faster applicants figure that out, the faster we will stop getting disappointed new hires.
                      Ill give you partial credit for this one.

Yes, i should have known. However, i had worked with the Marshals and was told my experience would make me "go places". Further, in the massive info session and video/Q&A they did for those of us who got past the application stage , they told us " you will have to do your time, but after two or three years you will be on the streets with task forces, etc". So, it was a combination of ignorance and lies.
                      USMS Region 3

To:
                      Medical:

Comment

• Originally posted by Lunytunezpr View Post
                        Times have changed.
                        I wouldn't even wanna be doing street work everyday.

Political atmosphere isn't the same and were in danger.. I don't mind the salary doing less street work.

I'd much rather be there for my family than to be with my chest out being an "alpha" on the street, waiting to get shot at, sued and not backed by the president or government official because of media fear or public opinion.

Times have changed and my vision/goals/dreams have also shifted. I'm perfectly fine with it.

I completely and absolutely understand your point of view. But, i didnt become a sheepdog and decide to do it based on political whim and support, public support, pats on the back, etc. Sheepdogs are almost always hated, that doesnt mean the flock doesnt still need watching.
                        USMS Region 3

To:
                        Medical:

Comment

• jtl323,

Does seniority count for anything with the Marshals? I imagine after about 5-7 (arbitrary #s) years of doing Court duty one would be able to hit the "streets."

Comment

• Originally posted by Seminole777 View Post
                            jtl323,

Does seniority count for anything with the Marshals? I imagine after about 5-7 (arbitrary #s) years of doing Court duty one would be able to hit the "streets."
                            Yes and no.

Depends on where you are. Some guys hit the streets 6 months after joining. Other offices, i have guys with 10-15 years on sitting here in the squad room with me every day, all day, either in court or just sitting here twiddling thumbs, playing angry birds, reading. Anything but "enforcing". 50 % of it is the level of court business your district has scheduled. 50% of it is your chief/marshal/supervisor. A lot of them dont want the flack of shootings, arrests, tasings, car chases/wrecks, etc impacting their careers negatively, so they would rather you just not go out on the street. You dont go looking for trouble, there wont be no trouble.
                            USMS Region 3

To:
                            Medical:

Comment

• Originally posted by Seminole777 View Post
                              jtl323,

Does seniority count for anything with the Marshals?
                              ha ha. Just ha ha.

Comment

ha ha. Just ha ha.
                                I have two buddies who left ICE both are at smaller offices, sac and nm and both were on the street with TF within 6 months. Depends on office and I'm assuming what you bring to the table. With ICE it took me 4 years to get on a TF in comparison in a large field office.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 11976 users online. 456 members and 11520 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X