Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• while we are on the topic, can anyone explain to me how they figure out which steps you get on the raises that follow? i recall an explanation of the first raise (grade 9) was used to basically catch you up to your previous highest salary, of course if it doesn't make it they'd just max you out on the 9 as well. OR, is it simply that they move you to the step on the next grade that would be considered a raise from your current pay- for example, going from 7 step 10 to 9 step 6 would be a raise, although a pretty small one.

Comment

• Red_widget
      Red_widget commented
      Editing a comment
      ...deleted...
      Last edited by Red_widget; 05-05-2017, 12:09 PM.

• CopStrong
      CopStrong commented
      Editing a comment
      Red_widget a 9 step 3 makes less than a 7 step 10, so that's not how it works, unless i'm missing something here....7-10 is $64,442, 9-3 is $60,470. they'd have to give you at least 9-6 from 7-10 for it to be a "raise".
      Last edited by CopStrong; 04-28-2017, 08:58 PM.

• Have Gun - Will Travel
      Editing a comment
      A friend of mine got picked up in the 2012 announcement and he was a GS-11 Step 3 (I think) when he got hired. This isn't exact but he went from a 7-10 to 9-8 to 11-4 to 12-2. From what I understand if you were already in the GS system higher than 7-10 it moves up one Grade and the step goes to the next one higher than you are at pay wise plus two. And it keeps doing that until it matches where you were at in the GS schedule before.

The exact matrix I gave most likely isn't right but it is close.

So, I'm currently a GS-11 Step 4 and it will NOT go 7-10, 9-10, 11-4, 12-1

If you have not been in the GS system before I have no idea how it works but I think it has something to do with leap year and the street you lived on when you were born or some sort of magic math like that.

• Thanks for the info CopStrong.
    Last edited by Red_widget; 05-05-2017, 12:09 PM.

Comment

• DHSMatt
      DHSMatt commented
      Editing a comment
      I had a buddy whom is a current Air Marshal and was offered DC , but he turned it down.

• ...deleted .
    Last edited by Red_widget; 04-28-2017, 09:25 PM.

Comment

• Ok. I just realized I was using the wrong scale. 082's are GL for first two years than switch to GS scale at start of third year.

Sorry for misinformation.

7/10 to 9/6.
      Last edited by Red_widget; 04-28-2017, 09:35 PM.

Comment

• Hoping for "The Call" next week. Fingers crossed. Id jump on DC if offered in a heartbeat just to get to JUNE class. Seems there has to be at least a good 50 people in the end process of backgrounds and awaiting FIT tests. So hoping this isn't 2012 all over again.

Comment

• DHSMatt If you tell them you want D.C., you will get it. I am happy to hear about everyone moving forward.

Comment

• DHSMatt
            DHSMatt commented
            Editing a comment
            Hhaha I have to get the call first , but then I would be getting a FO at that time. I already emailed HR and asked them if they got my updated wishlist with wanting to go "Anywhere"

• Originally posted by DHSMatt View Post
          Hhaha I have to get the call first , but then I would be getting a FO at that time. I already emailed HR and asked them if they got my updated wishlist with wanting to go "Anywhere"
          There should be at least one more week of them making phone calls, when I asked HR on Thursday when the formal FOs would be out he said next week was "wishful thinking" so I'm guessing they still have slots to fill

Comment

• Does anyone know the actual start date for June?

Comment

• Originally posted by CHG123 View Post
              Does anyone know the actual start date for June?
              I was told June 6th is Travel day, June 7th is the first day of class. If you are already a federal employee your last day with your current agency is June 5th

Comment

• Recently received the "Good news!" Email and yet to have an actual date for the fit. I'm assuming this will be for a potential placement in Aug since June is rapidly approaching.

Comment

• DHSMatt
                  DHSMatt commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Your local USMS office will be contacting you very soon to schedule your FIT. Your on track for success brotha !!!! Crush that FIT !

• battlewagon
                  battlewagon commented
                  Editing a comment
                  What is this good news email you guys speak of. I did my medical and havent heard back since but I know it may take a while, so no worries. But is the good news email something that just states youre good to go on Medical/everything else up to that point?

• CopStrong
                  CopStrong commented
                  Editing a comment
                  battlewagon it's essentially the tip that you will be contacted for the FIT test very soon- within a few days of the email for most of us i believe.

• Just a question for you guys getting superior. I worked for fed before going local and left D.C. With the low pay first few years and outrageous cost of living there, where do y'all plan to stay? PM me if you don't mind. Just curious as to that seems to be trend.

Comment

• CopStrong
                  CopStrong commented
                  Editing a comment
                  i have a house in MD, about 35mi from downtown DC. i won't be moving in the next 3-5yrs. i hate the traffic, but it is what it is. i actually live very close to a Marc train and will see if i can make that work for commuting- it's not an option for me now because at best even hopping in the metro, I'd still be about a mile and a half from my station.

• La_Bamba
                  La_Bamba commented
                  Editing a comment
                  @RetAllan17 If you can tolerate roommates that may be your best bet. If roommates are an absolute no-go then I'd look to the northern VA area and expect one hell of a commute. In either situation (solo or roommates) don't expect to pay anything less than $1,000 a month. Now obviously the more roommates you have the cheaper the rent; however, the bigger the headache. When I first moved to DC Zillow and Craigslist were my two best friends. Zillow was good because you have little old ladies looking to rent out their basements for relatively cheap and craigslist was decent for good roommates. Obviously you are going to have to use good judgement with the Craigslist thing but I've never had a problem and still remain close friends with roommates from both situations. I've lived on both sides of the potomac (VA, and MD) and much prefer VA. MD does a solid job taxing you everywhere you go so my advice is take a look at northern VA especially if you're coming in as a GL7/10.

• So, has anybody been offered Superior but told them "no," but you will go anywhere else they offer? I'm familiar with two situations with guys who did that 1 was an ICE agent and he has not been called back and offered a secondary location. The other did the same thing and was offered another location a week or so later. If you guys have any stories like that please share so guys know what they're risking (or getting as a reward) for turning down Supercourt.
                Last edited by La_Bamba; 05-01-2017, 07:27 AM. Reason: edit:grammar

Comment

• Red_widget
                  Red_widget commented
                  Editing a comment
                  What was the second location and did they take it? Also was D.C. in an area they picked on dream sheet?

• Originally posted by La_Bamba View Post
                So, has anybody been offered Superior but told them "no," but you will go anywhere else they offer? I'm familiar with two situations with guys who did that 1 was an ICE agent and he has not been called back and offered a secondary location. The other did the same thing and was offered another location a week or so later. If you guys have any stories like that please share so guys know what they're risking (or getting as a reward) for turning down Supercourt.
                Strong chance I am wrong, but from what I have drawn reading other posts, the jobs offers and calls are coming straight from the office that is making the job offer, not a centralized hiring center like CBP does. So if that is true, isn't telling the supervisor that works at the DC office 'i'll take anything else' wont get you anywhere, as that DC DUSM doesn't have a centralized list or anything like that of other available offices.

But again I am going off interpretations of others' posts, so someone correct me if I am wrong..
                UNITED STATES BORDER PATROL
                "90 years of tradition unhindered by progress!"

honor first

Comment

• CopStrong
                  CopStrong commented
                  Editing a comment
                  my "DC" call came from Arlington, aka HQ. and this is pure speculation on my part, but i don't believe the person that called me was a DUSM, rather an HR rep.

• Has anyone had an issue with a failed audiogram portion of the medical? Can you retake the test with a hearing aid?

Comment

• Originally posted by mkb7188 View Post
                  Has anyone had an issue with a failed audiogram portion of the medical? Can you retake the test with a hearing aid?
                  Not sure what the policy says, if they didnt allow it in the testing they may not allow it at all. I have no idea.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5823 users online. 256 members and 5567 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X