300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 10 pt. Veteran, BA Criminal Justice
    Last edited by Willy Wigglesworth; 04-17-2017, 10:41 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by ejgee_0331 View Post
      Hello Everyone,

I have a few questions for anyone that can answer.

For the fit test, specifically the push-ups, do they place a fist under the chest or do they count them as soon as they see your arm bend and come back up?
      For the sit and reach, I am 6’2 and pretty flexible, how do I measure this part of the fit test? For example ….What does 1 inch past my toes equate to?

Where do they measure fat from? I heard leg, chest, and bicep.

Thanks for your Help and Answers.
      PUSHUPS: yes fist, chest must touch fist and you must come ALL the way back up. Lock those arms out mister.
      SITNREACH: the stretch box starts at 15'' (ergo, you can reach the edge of the stretch box, you have just reached 15") all the air out of your lungs, chin to your sternum, reach for the wall!
      BODYFAT%: this was asked if they mandate a passing score...no. You must pass the PUSHUPS, SITUPS, and 1.5 MILE RUN, these are the core elements. Now, that said the total package is looked at, don't slack on bodyfat/stretching...don't be a fat slob and stretch a little eh? If you look like food, you will get "ate"...

For you folks that mentioned how you're slacking with running...get after it.

Comment

• To the January bubbas (guys who recently received TO's from the January interviews. I assume if we meet all the standards and jump through all the hoops our time will probably come around January or February at the latest. Our biggest enemy is going to be FLETC and seeing as how they only have 2 more classes slated for the year. That is of course if the VA gods will work in my favor and get me a copy of my final decision rating in a reasonable time frame.

Comment

• It will be interesting to see if that 2nd class actually gets the green light. The June class seems to be happening for sure, at least by the signs of people getting FIT tests.

I have completed everything up to the FIT test and that was about a month ago. Not sure what my background status is but I was contacted after someone was interviewed for drug test. That has been it though. Have to see if people start getting final offers in the next month for that June class.

Comment

• Thanks for the information everyone. I like to train in the same manner as the fit test.

For those that hate to run or do not run that often…… You should invest in a weighted jump rope. It will build up your endurance, strengthen and build your calf muscles, strengthen your thigh muscles, and the same with your arms and shoulders. I have been doing 30 mins to an hour 3 times a week and I decreased my body fat and built up my cardio. Just my two cents….

Comment

• I searched "body fat" at the top on here and found a good reply from kwaz. I have pasted it below for those that keep asking. Hope this helps.

Since marshals do go to CITP I'd imagine it's the same 3 site skin caliper test used for all agencies. For males it will be the skin/fat between the right anterior deltoid (front of your shoulder) and your nipple measured in the middle. Second site is just above your belly button to the left (my left as the measurer not yours), and the third site is the inside of the leg midpoint between the knee and the crease of your groin. All 3 scores are added and divided for your average body fat percentage.

For women FLETC measures the middle of the tricep, two inches to the left and above the belly button, and the inside of the leg.

There are several variations including using a 5 site test instead of 3 but unless FLETC has changed since I went through fitness coordinator training it should still be the same. The only difference between this explanation and the video linked below is the leg measurements are taken on the inside of the thigh not on the front but this give you a general idea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KLdyRJIAqk

Comment

• Sucks how they administer the process in regards to the sequence of everyone moving onto the next step (seems the process doesn't have a set order). I did the interview, got my TO (seems standard for most), then I did e-quip / fingerprints, then medical, and then BI...still waiting on drug and fit. Also waiting for my BI interview. I was contacted approximately 2 1/2 weeks ago by an investigator stating they were starting my BI, but its been quite since and no references contacted. I am hoping for the August academy at minimum! How long did some of you wait on your BI to be complete?

Comment

• Vox Populous
                  Vox Populous commented
                  Editing a comment
                  And, remember: just because they did your field work, that doesn't mean your background is clear. I have no issues, and I am still waiting.

Just be positive. Look at it as a way to get your time under ten minutes for the mile and half.

• Originally posted by USMC03xx View Post
                Sucks how they administer the process in regards to the sequence of everyone moving onto the next step (seems the process doesn't have a set order). I did the interview, got my TO (seems standard for most), then I did e-quip / fingerprints, then medical, and then BI...still waiting on drug and fit. Also waiting for my BI interview. I was contacted approximately 2 1/2 weeks ago by an investigator stating they were starting my BI, but its been quite since and no references contacted. I am hoping for the August academy at minimum! How long did some of you wait on your BI to be complete?
                Like I said earlier I was never contacted by anyone. One reference met with investigator and then a few weeks later I was contacted to complete drug test. So it's a toss up.

Comment

• While I'm not an expert in security clearances I have held a clearance for most of my adult life. The first (and most important) thing to know is the background investigators are almost all contractors. They take on cases as they want and unless the investigation was submitted by the agency as expedited there is no time limit on how fast they complete them. I would venture to guess most employment investigations are not expedited as there is a large applicant pool to chose from and the hiring pool is good for a long time. Most of the investigators will take on several investigations at once and will wait to interview contacts until they have several in the same area so they aren't making multiple trips over the large area some of them cover. I live in a large metro area but my investigator lived two hours away so he waited until he could make one trip to interview everyone in the same day. Also, if you live in a small town in the middle of nowhere it could take awhile because there may only be a couple (or one) person who works in that area.

The next biggest thing is if you have moved out of a geographic area in the last 10 years then your investigator has to submit it and a request will be sent to each of those areas. Again this will be another investigator who may take his/her time based on case load and how far away it is. So, if you were in the military in the last 10 years (or just move a lot) then they will have to send someone to verify each of those areas where you lived which means a different investigator for each location.

After all of the references are interviewed the investigator will interview you. Sometimes they will do it first but they normally wait to make sure they don't learn anything negative about you from neighbors or references. If they do learn anything they have to ask you about it which is why you are normally the last interview.

After all of this the packet is written up and submitted to the company they work for, reviewed there, and then sent to the requesting agency. The agency reviews it and if they have questions it is kicked back down. If not then it is submitted for adjudication. There is no time frame guess for each of these steps. It depends on case load and motivation of the person reviewing it.

I just completed an expedited investigation at my current job to renew my clearance. By this I mean all of the interviews are completed and everything was submitted back to my parent agency but who knows when it will be finalized. Even with the review being expedited it still took three weeks for all of the addresses and references to be interviewed and my packet submitted.

Comment

• USMC03xx
                    USMC03xx commented
                    Editing a comment
                    The investigator who contacted was from 29 palms so that makes sense since I was stationed there. She stated my packet was marked priority by the agency, so hopefully that expedites things a little. Thanks for the in depth response, it makes sense!

• Vox Populous
                    Vox Populous commented
                    Editing a comment
                    You are very accurate. In this case, the contractors do the field work, the company reviews the packet for quality assurance purposes, then sends it to OPM.

OPM has their people review the packet for compliance purposes, then sends it back to the Agency (in this case the U.S. Marshals) for adjudication.

The Agency has personnel security staff review the packet, ensure it contains all required information, and make a final determinationas to the suitability of an employee for employment at the requisite security clearance level.

• thanks for input!
                  Last edited by beauman151; 04-20-2017, 07:09 PM.

Comment

• Vox Populous
                    Vox Populous commented
                    Editing a comment
                    First off, thank you for your service. Second, this service grants you eligibility for an age waiver. Once hired, you must complete 20 years of Federal law enforcement service before you can retire with a leo pension.

Your military time will automatically count as credible years of government service in relation to the accumulation of annual leave. However, you must "buy back" this time for it to be credited toward your retirement annuity. Once you do, you will be credited 1.7% of your high three for your 20 years of leo service (totalling 34%) and credited 1% for every year spent on active duty.

• Originally posted by Have Gun - Will Travel View Post
                  While I'm not an expert in security clearances I have held a clearance for most of my adult life. The first (and most important) thing to know is the background investigators are almost all contractors. They take on cases as they want and unless the investigation was submitted by the agency as expedited there is no time limit on how fast they complete them. I would venture to guess most employment investigations are not expedited as there is a large applicant pool to chose from and the hiring pool is good for a long time. Most of the investigators will take on several investigations at once and will wait to interview contacts until they have several in the same area so they aren't making multiple trips over the large area some of them cover. I live in a large metro area but my investigator lived two hours away so he waited until he could make one trip to interview everyone in the same day. Also, if you live in a small town in the middle of nowhere it could take awhile because there may only be a couple (or one) person who works in that area.

The next biggest thing is if you have moved out of a geographic area in the last 10 years then your investigator has to submit it and a request will be sent to each of those areas. Again this will be another investigator who may take his/her time based on case load and how far away it is. So, if you were in the military in the last 10 years (or just move a lot) then they will have to send someone to verify each of those areas where you lived which means a different investigator for each location.

After all of the references are interviewed the investigator will interview you. Sometimes they will do it first but they normally wait to make sure they don't learn anything negative about you from neighbors or references. If they do learn anything they have to ask you about it which is why you are normally the last interview.

After all of this the packet is written up and submitted to the company they work for, reviewed there, and then sent to the requesting agency. The agency reviews it and if they have questions it is kicked back down. If not then it is submitted for adjudication. There is no time frame guess for each of these steps. It depends on case load and motivation of the person reviewing it.

I just completed an expedited investigation at my current job to renew my clearance. By this I mean all of the interviews are completed and everything was submitted back to my parent agency but who knows when it will be finalized. Even with the review being expedited it still took three weeks for all of the addresses and references to be interviewed and my packet submitted.
                  To add on to what this gentleman had to say, I have several close colleagues who recently departed for an OPM investigator position and they enlightened me on the changes made. The Snowdens, Mannings, and various controversies (including the security breach of virtually everyone's SF-86), have caused drastic changes. For starters, there is an on-going hiring push to replace all contract investigators with Federal Investigative Services investigators (in other words federal employees). Along with the push to hire 400 background bubbas nationwide the system has been completely revamped to where if you need to get a high clearance than the one you have now they only go back to the last time you did your SF-86 and go from there working forward. They figure having to do investigations into a part of someone's life that has already been done and adjudicated clear is time consuming.So if you had a secret clearance adjudicated favorably in 2013 and you're going for a Top Secret today in 2017 they are only going to do the full investigation on the time between 2013 and 2017, that is of course if nothing pops up or gets their attention that may have been missed in years leading up to 2013. This poses a nightmare because they are having to go to every field office and teach the old agents the new system of doing things ( for instance an SSBI is no longer an SSBI it's a tier in a tiered system). There were more changes but they did not elaborate. So guys like my buddy coming out of the academy are taught the new way while all the old salt dogs are still
                  doing it the old way until they are instructed differently. Leads to mass confusion.

My question is has anyone who was coming from another government agency with a clearance told their clearance wasnt high enough and they need to do another SF-86?

Also, I just recently did my recert for fitness coordinator at FLETC and I can confirm the repost by 1st Oklahoma, those standards and processes are still accurate and up to date though there is some talk among FLETC instructors/officials of the need for the sit and reach. It used to be that a candidates sit and reach ability was a reflection of their propensity for injury. Medical research has shown that is not true and very inaccurate. Time will tell if FLETC ever gets rid of it though. It's. It may favorite part of the test that's for sure.

edit:grammar
                  Last edited by La_Bamba; 04-20-2017, 05:09 PM.

Comment

• Have Gun - Will Travel
                    Editing a comment
                    It will be nice when that process starts. I just finished my five year renewal for my current job and they still went back 10 years even though 5 years of that was covered in the last one.

• Anyone have any Intel on when these final offers might start going out? I know the email said by the end of the month, but figured someone here might know more than that? The wait is killing me!

Comment

• Vox Populous
                    Vox Populous commented
                    Editing a comment
                    A few have already gone out, but I would expect things to start moving end of the month.

• Red_widget
                    Red_widget commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Jeff, have you had fit? When was your TO?

• jeff_mason
                    jeff_mason commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Yes, I took the FIT 2 weeks ago. I received my TO in September.

• taking FIT on Monday...

Comment

• Originally posted by jeff_mason View Post
                    Anyone have any Intel on when these final offers might start going out? I know the email said by the end of the month, but figured someone here might know more than that? The wait is killing me!
                    You and me both.. I just hope they keep their word and fill the June class by the end of next week. That way we all can start planning our summers if we aren't selected.

Comment

• Originally posted by La_Bamba View Post

To add on to what this gentleman had to say, I have several close colleagues who recently departed for an OPM investigator position and they enlightened me on the changes made. The Snowdens, Mannings, and various controversies (including the security breach of virtually everyone's SF-86), have caused drastic changes. For starters, there is an on-going hiring push to replace all contract investigators with Federal Investigative Services investigators (in other words federal employees). Along with the push to hire 400 background bubbas nationwide the system has been completely revamped to where if you need to get a high clearance than the one you have now they only go back to the last time you did your SF-86 and go from there working forward. They figure having to do investigations into a part of someone's life that has already been done and adjudicated clear is time consuming.So if you had a secret clearance adjudicated favorably in 2013 and you're going for a Top Secret today in 2017 they are only going to do the full investigation on the time between 2013 and 2017, that is of course if nothing pops up or gets their attention that may have been missed in years leading up to 2013. This poses a nightmare because they are having to go to every field office and teach the old agents the new system of doing things ( for instance an SSBI is no longer an SSBI it's a tier in a tiered system). There were more changes but they did not elaborate. So guys like my buddy coming out of the academy are taught the new way while all the old salt dogs are still
                      doing it the old way until they are instructed differently. Leads to mass confusion.

My question is has anyone who was coming from another government agency with a clearance told their clearance wasnt high enough and they need to do another SF-86?

Also, I just recently did my re cert for fitness coordinator at FLETC and I can confirm the repost by 1st Oklahoma, those standards and processes are still accurate and up to date though there is some talk among FLETC instructors/officials of the need for the sit and reach. It used to be that a candidates sit and reach ability was a reflection of their propensity for injury. Medical research has shown that is not tru and very inaccurate. Time will tell if FLETC ever gets rid of it though. It's. It may favorite part of the test that's for sure.
                      My Border Patrol investigation was deemed insufficient, had to submit new fingerprint cards. Yet, HSI used my BP one and already bumped it up to TS.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7538 users online. 402 members and 7136 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X