Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey DG737, if you are looking for the "novelty" of saying your a Deputy US Marshal then I'd suggest taking that other job, we don't want you in our ranks if your just looking for a "novelty". Too many have worked too hard and paid the ultimate price for candidates to be just looking for a title.

Comment

• Originally posted by wildbill0351 View Post
      Hey DG737, if you are looking for the "novelty" of saying your a Deputy US Marshal then I'd suggest taking that other job, we don't want you in our ranks if your just looking for a "novelty". Too many have worked too hard and paid the ultimate price for candidates to be just looking for a title.
      Yikes. Way to jump to an offense that probably wasn't even intended.

Going for a job because of the title isn't a bad thing. Most Marines I know, myself included, enlisted in the Marine Corps entirely because of the title, and we earned it in blood sweat and tears. Hell it's in our hymn! And every Marine then, and now, carries on that title's tradition with all 240 years of weight on it. Why should the Marshal service be any different? It speaks to their long, storied history. I've read accounts of sought after criminals that found it a point of pride that they were infamous enough for the MARSHALS to be after them. The TITLE of Marshal carried all that history and fame. That history is what those who paid the ultimate sacrifice FOUGHT for.

Just because someone wants the title doesn't mean they won't do the job worse/better. Hell, I'd wager that someone who values the title may do an even BETTER job because they won't want to tarnish it.

Just my .02

Edit to add: I see an 0351 in your username. So I don't need to emphasize it at all if that means what I think. Regardless, my point stands.

Comment

• i just want the Gold star personally...

Comment

• Originally posted by 03112017 View Post

Yikes. Way to jump to an offense that probably wasn't even intended.

Going for a job because of the title isn't a bad thing. Most Marines I know, myself included, enlisted in the Marine Corps entirely because of the title, and we earned it in blood sweat and tears. Hell it's in our hymn! And every Marine then, and now, carries on that title's tradition with all 240 years of weight on it. Why should the Marshal service be any different? It speaks to their long, storied history. I've read accounts of sought after criminals that found it a point of pride that they were infamous enough for the MARSHALS to be after them. The TITLE of Marshal carried all that history and fame. That history is what those who paid the ultimate sacrifice FOUGHT for.

Just because someone wants the title doesn't mean they won't do the job worse/better. Hell, I'd wager that someone who values the title may do an even BETTER job because they won't want to tarnish it.

Just my .02

Edit to add: I see an 0351 in your username. So I don't need to emphasize it at all if that means what I think. Regardless, my point stands.
          Exactly, Don't get so butt hurt about it. If you say you didn't apply for the marshals because of the history and notoriety of it, then you're full of it, and so is anyone else that says it.
          I served my country, and I'm stepping up to serve it again, but that doesn't mean I'm here to panhandle for a job begging hat in hand.

if I'm needed, so be it, if it's cops and college kids that they want, then I'll rest assured that the country is safe and not in need of warriors like me and quietly take my place in a cushy retirement job.

and if you're a marine, then you know that "earning the title" means something.

0331 Semper Fi.

Comment

• It's all semantics I guess. I am certainly not butt hurt about anything. I will say that I know deputies take enormous pride in the agency and the work we do. I do know what earning the title means devildog! I personally aren't one for a title I just enjoy continuing to serve . I guess I'd just suggest selecting your words a little more carefully on here. Believe it or not they monitor this and you'll be called out at the academy for it.

Comment

• Originally posted by wildbill0351 View Post
              It's all semantics I guess. I am certainly not butt hurt about anything. I will say that I know deputies take enormous pride in the agency and the work we do. I do know what earning the title means devildog! I personally aren't one for a title I just enjoy continuing to serve . I guess I'd just suggest selecting your words a little more carefully on here. Believe it or not they monitor this and you'll be called out at the academy for it.
              See THAT I hear, killer. Exposing yourself in an identifiable, and poor, way is just asking for trouble. I'd have to agree with you on the point that 'novelty' was a poor choice of words, though the way I read it, the overall stance didn't come off as derogatory. I doubt that anyone would jump through all these hoops for sharts and giggles; they're here because they WANT that title. That's why we're all here, and if I'm getting the correct assumption, that's why you chose this agency.

BE proud, you've got every damn reason to be.

That said, this discussion has been entirely too polite for a buncha' grunts.

I'll see you in the treeline so we can settle this the right way. You too DG737. No one likes Weapons.

Comment

• Originally posted by CopStrong View Post
                i just want the Gold star personally...
                Dayumnnn I thought it was copper!

Comment

• Originally posted by DHSMatt View Post

Dayumnnn I thought it was copper!
                  Copper? Now THAT would be cool!

Comment

• While I respect Wildbill's opinion if we are all honest with ourselves many current U.S. Marshals and those in the process were attracted to the position based upon the popular culture "mystique" around the U.S. Marshals (i.e. the title , kickin doors in, serving warrants, getting the bad guy). Let's not be intellectually dishonest here and act like it is something it's not. You will never convince me or most other reasonable people that the Marshals would be as popular of a position if it wasn't for its existence in various popular culture mediums (tv, movies, etc etc etc). For instance, the look on people's face when I tell them about court duty tells me they had no idea that that is a significant portion of a Marshals duties at least early on. I will probably be bombarded with replies that will all say, "since I was a toddler my life's dream was to be a Marshal." When the reality is the only thing they probably knew about the Marshals prior to applying is what Raylon Gibbons taught them on Justified.
                    Last edited by La_Bamba; 02-13-2017, 10:07 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by La_Bamba View Post
                      While I respect Wildbill's opinion if we are all honest with ourselves many current U.S. Marshals and those in the process were attracted to the position based upon the popular culture "mystique" around the U.S. Marshals (i.e. the title , kickin doors in, serving warrants, getting the bad guy). Let's not be intellectually dishonest here and act like it is something it's not. You will never convince me or most other reasonable people that the Marshals would be as popular of a position if it wasn't for its existence in various popular culture mediums (tv, movies, etc etc etc). For instance, the look on people's face when I tell them about court duty tells me they had no idea that that is a significant portion of a Marshals duties at least early on. I will probably be bombarded with replies that will all say, "since I was a toddler my life's dream was to be a Marshal." When the reality is the only thing they probably knew about the Marshals prior to applying is what Raylon Gibbons taught them on Justified.
                      I'm just a simple fan of Tombstone and the Earp Clan... hit it right on the mark.

Comment

• I eat pancakes for breakfast.... I hope this add substance to the current discussion.

fin.

Comment

• Originally posted by CHG123 View Post
                          I eat pancakes for breakfast.... I hope this add substance to the current discussion.

fin.
                          every day, or just sometimes?

Comment

• Delete>>>>
                            Last edited by matt_laut; 03-04-2017, 05:36 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by matt_laut View Post

When I applied at the bottom of the announcement on USAJOBS is said public trust.
                              hmmmm, would you swear to that?

from the bottom of the announcement:

"Security Clearance

Q - Sensitive"

Comment

• Anyone from this group get the information update email?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8700 users online. 271 members and 8429 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X