300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by manny1921 View Post
    Good luck davidjbar! I have my interview on the 27th in Arlington aswell. Im pretty stoked to go never been out to DC before.

Whats going on gents I am new to the forum, a little about me I'm a Marine Vet, currently working for BOP, have been referred for DUSM through the VRA.

I only selected region 7 southwest region for my wish list hopefully it doesn't hinder my chances of getting a TO.

Nonetheless I am very excited to be given a chance for an interview, whish you all the best of luck during this process!
    Good luck to you as well, be prepared to wait, then wait, then wait some more.

Comment

• Yes indeed my friend..... I think someone on the forum said it best, coming from a DUSM " be prepared to leave within 5 months to 5 years after you apply" lol.

Comment

• After the application I received several emails offering interviews for an "expedited" hiring process, I postponed due to not wanting to travel for the interviews. Is this the only email regarding interviews everyone's received? I advised hr I was still interested and they said they'll keep me on the list. Thanks.
        Those who have struggled with failure more appreciate success; than those who succeed but never themselves test.

Comment

• Here is a question regarding the PT test. On their website it says. "You must score Minimum or higher in all sections of the fitness test in order to pass." The scoring chart is self explanatory; however, the "minimum" is the higher than the lowest of the "FAIR" category.

For example: Males 30-39 push-ups for FAIR are 24-29, but the minimum is 27. Same ratio for the other events.

So the question is - Is the minimum just for the pre-employment test? To graduate the academy?

I expect to get the "don't shoot for the minimums" and such - I am not concerned about my fitness, just wondering how this works. The military and even other agencies I've noticed didn't score it this way. Actually, I just took the ATF PTT and their instruction they sent me was based on the USMS which allowed me to do a minimum 13:30 for my run (which I am 30).

https://www.usmarshals.gov/careers/fitness_men.html

Comment

• The minimum is the minimum for pre-employment and for graduation. As for graduation- this isn't a place where you can stop even after maxing out the score. You will be expected to put out 110% throughout every available second of the PT test.

With that being said, don't be surprised if the PT test changes during the process. A new PT standard has been approved and will be implemented at some point in the future.

Comment

• Originally posted by SFairman View Post
              The minimum is the minimum for pre-employment and for graduation. As for graduation- this isn't a place where you can stop even after maxing out the score. You will be expected to put out 110% throughout every available second of the PT test.

With that being said, don't be surprised if the PT test changes during the process. A new PT standard has been approved and will be implemented at some point in the future.
              Cool, thanks for the response. I assumed the minimum was for pre-employment and graduation, but wasn't sure. I think another forum said the DEA just went to the FBI PT standards. I am good on everything but sprinting. I think their minimum 300 meter sprint is 52.4 seconds. That was the hardest part for me when I did their test. My 300 meter sprint was like 51 flat lol, here is to hoping they don't change it to that too.

Comment

• Hey fellas. Been lurking on the board for a while and wanted to contribute. I go for my interview next week. Sounds like a lot of you guys are worrying yourself sick over whether or not you will get a T.O. which sounds absolutely terrible! To the best you can you should just forget about it.

Are you guys hanging your hats on this one announcement or are you still applying to others? I really hope it's the latter. I picked District 3 (southeast U.S.) and only District 3 on my "wish list." At the end of the day they are going to put me where they want me not where I "wish" so I mine as well shoot for the stars with my favorite location lol. I do find it peculiar that they are sending T.O.'s out without a location on them. Infact, I don't think I have ever seen that done in my career in federal law enforcement. They are taking a big gamble by doing it that way in my opinion. Those who are eager to become a U.S. Marshal will take anything I guess, but those of us who can afford to be picky might not accept a T.O. with a location to be determined at a later date, especially if you have a family or other considerations. I guess if that is the case, next man up.

Best of luck to everyone and hopefully the interview goes well and if not no big deal!
                Last edited by La_Bamba; 01-16-2017, 08:40 AM.

Comment

• They offer you a specific location before the academy, so it would be kind of ridiculous "not to accept" a T.O.

I also get the feeling people think the T.O. means you ARE getting the job as long as you pass the steps, which isn't the case. They're definitely giving out way more T.O.'s than jobs, even to those that pass everything.

Comment

• Originally posted by CopStrong View Post
                    They offer you a specific location before the academy, so it would be kind of ridiculous "not to accept" a T.O.

I also get the feeling people think the T.O. means you ARE getting the job as long as you pass the steps, which isn't the case. They're definitely giving out way more T.O.'s than jobs, even to those that pass everything.
                    TO would be great since I still haven't heard anything since October, but you're correct. The 2012 announcement thread showed plenty of people getting TOs and never getting an Academy date....and people not getting TOs for a couple of years and then getting a TO with a FIT test and an Academy date all in a 4 week time frame. So it's a confusing process.

like the guy above said, many people turn down offers due to location's right before the academy, since the majority of professionals don't want to move to a dump.
                    USMS timeline
                    Applied:June 2016
                    Rating 99
                    Recieved interview invitation for September however interviewed in ATL in October due to work requirements.

10 pt Vet
                    Fed LEO (6 years)
                    USMC 2003-2007 (combat tours in Fallujah and Ramadi)
                    Bachelors in CJ with a minor in Psychology (GPA 3.24)

Comment

• That's why it BLOWS MY Mind when I see some applicants on this forum trying to figure out a pattern or have a theory of why these people got interviews or why these people got a TO. They didn't get one so now they have to figure out why with all these assumptions. It should very obvious by now that HRM is on their own program and nobody knows what it is, and to try to figure it out is laughable at best and bordering on the idiotic.

I submitted the paperwork for the interview back in Aug and just last week I got scheduled for it in Arlington. That was FIVE months ago. I sent an email a few weeks later requesting verification or a status update because I didn't hear anything and I didn't get a reply. So I just waited and waited and forgot all about it until one day lo and behold out of the blue I get an email with an interview date.

Application process is wait, wait, and when you're done wait some more. That's it, easy, and simple.
                      Last edited by davidjbar; 01-16-2017, 12:24 PM.

Comment

They offer you a specific location before the academy, so it would be kind of ridiculous "not to accept" a T.O.

In nearly every other law enforcement agency that's exactly the purpose of extending a conditional offer. If they are extending offers to individuals without ever having the intention of bringing them on despite them passing every step in the process then that is highly unprofessional and it is no wonder no other agencies do that. It seems like it wastes a ton of peoples time (including yours and HR's).

Now that I think about it the Secret Service does something like that but I don't think they extend conditional offers I think they just put people in a hiring pool and call them up when they are needed (or never).

This new revelation makes me re-think the conditional I have from another agency. I guess I'd be a damn fool not to take it in the mean time.

Comment

• Originally posted by Spartan1371 View Post

TO would be great since I still haven't heard anything since October, but you're correct. The 2012 announcement thread showed plenty of people getting TOs and never getting an Academy date....and people not getting TOs for a couple of years and then getting a TO with a FIT test and an Academy date all in a 4 week time frame. So it's a confusing process.

like the guy above said, many people turn down offers due to location's right before the academy, since the majority of professionals don't want to move to a dump.
                          I don't know how appropriate it is to use 2012 fiasco as a good example. I think the difference between then and now is stark considering we just came off the ledge of financial collapse and virtually EVERYONE in the DOJ was frozen in terms of hiring. Just food for thought.

Comment

• Originally posted by La_Bamba View Post

In nearly every other law enforcement agency that's exactly the purpose of extending a conditional offer. If they are extending offers to individuals without ever having the intention of bringing them on despite them passing every step in the process then that is highly unprofessional and it is no wonder no other agencies do that. It seems like it wastes a ton of peoples time (including yours and HR's).

Now that I think about it the Secret Service does something like that but I don't think they extend conditional offers I think they just put people in a hiring pool and call them up when they are needed (or never).

This new revelation makes me re-think the conditional I have from another agency. I guess I'd be a damn fool not to take it in the mean time.
                            you are using "Tentative Offer" and "Conditional Offer" interchangeably, when they are in fact not the same thing. Neither of them are a final offer, of course, but a conditional offer (for example, like the FBI uses) means as long as you favorably pass whatever steps you have left at that point, there's a position for you. A tentative offer, I have found, is much looser and doesn't equate to much other than you are now in a smaller pool of applicants.

Marshals use the tentative offer, so of course you still want to get this- but it's not something you even "accept" like a conditional offer. In fact it's the opposite, your tentative offer would essentially say 'respond if you no longer wish to continue in the process"- whereas a conditional offer (one that I've seen at least) actually had instructions to confirm you wanted to move forward.

Very similar, with subtle yet definite differences.

Comment

• Either way people should be proud to get the TO but I'm in no way upset or ashamed to have not gotten one yet. It seems more like the lottery after the interview. Just my $0.02.
                              USMS timeline
                              Applied:June 2016
                              Rating 99
                              Recieved interview invitation for September however interviewed in ATL in October due to work requirements.

10 pt Vet
                              Fed LEO (6 years)
                              USMC 2003-2007 (combat tours in Fallujah and Ramadi)
                              Bachelors in CJ with a minor in Psychology (GPA 3.24)

Comment

you are using "Tentative Offer" and "Conditional Offer" interchangeably, when they are in fact not the same thing. Neither of them are a final offer, of course, but a conditional offer (for example, like the FBI uses) means as long as you favorably pass whatever steps you have left at that point, there's a position for you. A tentative offer, I have found, is much looser and doesn't equate to much other than you are now in a smaller pool of applicants.

Marshals use the tentative offer, so of course you still want to get this- but it's not something you even "accept" like a conditional offer. In fact it's the opposite, your tentative offer would essentially say 'respond if you no longer wish to continue in the process"- whereas a conditional offer (one that I've seen at least) actually had instructions to confirm you wanted to move forward.

Very similar, with subtle yet definite differences.
                                Good catch! I guess I have only worked for agencies that use conditional offers and I am admittedly ignorant to tentative offers . Your explanation makes a lot more sense! Thanks!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6884 users online. 362 members and 6522 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X