300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by FutRTrPR View Post
    Agreed. This what I did and continue to do. Everything I have done so far was to make myself more competitive. I found out what "they" want/like and I did it. Now I wait patiently and go through the hoops. An ex-con once told me "patience is not just waiting. It's what you do while you wait". It really resonated with me. While I wait, I'm getting my MA.

Set yourself up for what you want to be. Great advice kwaz.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Spot on. I felt the same way when I realized masters degrees in our field are now becoming "a thing" in terms of putting yourself with the most competitive group. So here we are, a semester and a half away from achieving that goal and I can honestly say should I want to switch agencies I've done absolutely everything possible in terms of making myself appealing to the hiring authority. Let's just hope PHD's don't become the "new new thing."

Comment

• Just wait: GS-4 will require a law degree within the next five years.

Comment

• Any current Marshal's following this thread with information about the next posting? Such as dates

Comment

• Initially, I thought all these regional announcements were going to come out in February..maybe they just meant the PR one and they rest would follow in the coming months??

Comment

• The next announcements are spring/early summer timeframe. DC/SWB locations.

Comment

• Hey guys, I was called by a recruiter yesterday. I did confirm you will be able to apply to all openings as they unfold on USAjobs. I also asked what the average wait time was to become an 1811. They said typically 2-3 years depending the location you are assigned.

I was selected for the college program and passed their interviews in 2011, but cut due to the sequestration. Then in 2012 I was unable to apply for not having my degree because of the USMS program extending my graduation date. Anyways, I am excited as everyone is too.

My one question, after reviewing the PR opening, the BI does not state anything about a polygraph. Can anyone confirm this? I passed a poly for my current agency, but failed mine for FBI. So this is my only concern. With that, I am 29, Master's, currently local LEO 4 years, State Corrections 4 years, and OIF/OEF with Naval Special Warfare.

Good Luck to all!

Comment

• Originally posted by ls1_oklahoma View Post
                Hey guys, I was called by a recruiter yesterday. I did confirm you will be able to apply to all openings as they unfold on USAjobs. I also asked what the average wait time was to become an 1811. They said typically 2-3 years depending the location you are assigned.

I was selected for the college program and passed their interviews in 2011, but cut due to the sequestration. Then in 2012 I was unable to apply for not having my degree because of the USMS program extending my graduation date. Anyways, I am excited as everyone is too.

My one question, after reviewing the PR opening, the BI does not state anything about a polygraph. Can anyone confirm this? I passed a poly for my current agency, but failed mine for FBI. So this is my only concern. With that, I am 29, Master's, currently local LEO 4 years, State Corrections 4 years, and OIF/OEF with Naval Special Warfare.

Good Luck to all!
                No poly.

Comment

• Originally posted by kwaz View Post
                  Spot on. I felt the same way when I realized masters degrees in our field are now becoming "a thing" in terms of putting yourself with the most competitive group. So here we are, a semester and a half away from achieving that goal and I can honestly say should I want to switch agencies I've done absolutely everything possible in terms of making myself appealing to the hiring authority. Let's just hope PHD's don't become the "new new thing."
                  Haha. I discovered the same thing. Back in 2012 for the last dusm hiring, but never got a TO. I was almost done with bachelors, and had 5 pts. Now I'll be done with my second masters in May with 10 pts and currently an 11 fed leo.

It was no walk in the park to get where I'm at, but praying I'm more competitive this go around.

To those talking bout still finishing your associates or working towards your bachelors, you better keep going for more, cause a-holes like me are doing everything to get to the top!

But on the real, best of luck to everyone.

Comment

Last edited by triniboy05; 06-26-2018, 12:00 PM.
                    God never promised that it would be easy, just that he would be there with you every step of the way.

Comment

• For the longest time I assumed Marshals had top secret clearances and then I was just told recently that they all have public trust clearances. Essentially the same as BOP. Can any current Marshals confirm that? If true it's very surprising.

Comment

• Originally posted by kwaz View Post
                        For the longest time I assumed Marshals had top secret clearances and then I was just told recently that they all have public trust clearances. Essentially the same as BOP. Can any current Marshals confirm that? If true it's very surprising.
                        When I did my 5 year background with BP I was told that the current round of backgrounds are cleared for up to TS. Not sure if that's an actual rating because the investigator was not sure of it himself but the key words I heard were "up to".

Comment

• Originally posted by NC_Mtnman View Post
                          When I did my 5 year background with BP I was told that the current round of backgrounds are cleared for up to TS. Not sure if that's an actual rating because the investigator was not sure of it himself but the key words I heard were "up to".
                          If I'm not mistaken, I think it depends on the form you filled out. The only way to get a TS is to fill out an SF86. If you filled out an SF85, or SF85P, you can only be cleared for Public Trust, whereas the SF86 allows a granting up to TS, if you receive a favorable adjudication for that level.

Comment

• For many guys/gals wanting to be a DUSM they would be better served intensively hitting the gym rather than getting another degree in underwater basket weaving or whatever. The USMS is somewhat unique in Fed LE in that they try to hire soley meat eaters. Even then they atrit a fairly large number of those guys as well during their academy. It's not for the faint of heart that's for sure.

Don't sweat the vet preference stuff, it was necessary on the last mass hire only because SO MANY applied that it surpassed their cap for total applicants they were going review in the first place. It's not that they only want vets, it's just that they didn't have time to go through 35k applicants for like 200 spots. The disabled vets are actually at a significant disadvantage because of the stringent medical standards. However, if you were a meat eater in the mil, then it should work to your advantage.

Goodluck to you guys who eventually get through the process.

Comment

• Another approach for those hopeful DUSMs is looking at what other positions are available within the agency.

A couple of classes ago, only hired from within. It might not be the most glamorous gig, but it might give you an edge as far as hiring goes. Also an excellent opportunity for networking.

While most of us probably don't have the administrative assistant resume, the job is very simple.

I just wanted to throw this out there for those who have a feeling they don't have enough (mil, edu, LEO xp) going for them.

It would also start your time on for retirement

Comment

• Originally posted by kyleman View Post
                                Haha. I discovered the same thing. Back in 2012 for the last dusm hiring, but never got a TO. I was almost done with bachelors, and had 5 pts. Now I'll be done with my second masters in May with 10 pts and currently an 11 fed leo.

It was no walk in the park to get where I'm at, but praying I'm more competitive this go around.

To those talking bout still finishing your associates or working towards your bachelors, you better keep going for more, cause a-holes like me are doing everything to get to the top!

But on the real, best of luck to everyone.
                                That's nice

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 12356 users online. 486 members and 11870 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X