300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LASIK after med eval.

I'm currently waiting on "the call" from the USSS UD for hiring. I have been wearing contacts for going on nine years and have thrown around getting a Lasik procedure done for years. Now that there's a very real possibility of being hired and sent to training sometime in the next 6 months, I've decided that I want to get it done (to avoid lugging dozens of "daily" contact lenses with me down to Georgia). Obviously, I have already passed my medical, to include a vision test with and without my contacts in. Would it be an issue to have the procedure done between now and the start of training?

Have uncorrected vision no worse than 20/60 binocular; correctable to 20/20 in each eye (NOTE: Lasik, ALK, RK and PRK corrective eye surgeries are acceptable eyes surgeries for applicants provided specific visual tests are passed. The following are the waiting periods before visual tests are conducted after the surgery: Lasik surgery–three months; PRK–six months; and ALK and RK–one year.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Rush1869 View Post
      Have uncorrected vision no worse than 20/60 binocular; correctable to 20/20 in each eye (NOTE: Lasik, ALK, RK and PRK corrective eye surgeries are acceptable eyes surgeries for applicants provided specific visual tests are passed. The following are the waiting periods before visual tests are conducted after the surgery: Lasik surgery–three months; PRK–six months; and ALK and RK–one year.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      I am aware that Lasik is an approved corrective action for bad eyesight with the USSS. However, my question was more towards getting it done after I have passed the vision portion of my med eval

Comment

You would need to discuss this with the HR or Recruiter or BI that you have been working with.

Comment

Look into PRK instead.

Comment

Lasik has been known to result in complications and for that reasons, some agencies will delay an applicant's appointment for up to six months after surgery, to ensure the applicant still meets their hiring standards.

If complications occur, it could result in your appointment being withdrawn. With that in mind, you may wish to hold off on any Lasik procedure until after you are actually employed and have completed your probationary period.
            Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Originally posted by FrankNY1985 View Post
              Look into PRK instead.
              Agreed. I had PRK done instead of Lasik because my Dr said that the epithelial layer that was cut could lift up if your eye was rubbed hard. Depends on the person's line of work.

Comment

I spoke with my BI and he told me that he doesn't see any issues with me having the procedure done before training. So, I'll just set up a consult, gather info, and go from there.

Comment

I had a choice PRK or Lazik, I chose Lazik had have no problems went from 20/250 to 20/20. It's been almost a year and best money I ever spent

Comment

I highly recommend lasik.

To the main point tho. I would just wait until you get on the job and have some leave built up before getting lasik done.

Having contacts down at FLETC isn't a big deal. Sure, it may pop out during tactics and you'll be blind as a bat during OC, but I'd rather have the job in hand first.

This would be an awful scenario. Get lasik, get the call to go down, and you take a bad hit to the face and the lasik gets botched. Not sure about you, but eyesight isn't something to mess around with.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4239 users online. 270 members and 3969 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X