300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Meeting with the Sheriff

I've completed my background investigation, polygraph, and oral board and passed. This is one of the final steps to employment with this agency I've applied to.

With the oral board over, I've got a feeling the questions aren't going to be the typical "What if you partner steals a candy bar?" type questions. Are interviews with Sheriffs of Chiefs more commonly casual conversation or typically more formal?

I'm a firm believer that preparation is a HUGE part of being successful in interviews. How can I prepare for my interview with the sheriff?

I only have a little bit of experience with this topic, but I wanted to offer something while you wait for a more in depth response. But I would suggest doing research about the city, demographics, the office, it's personnel, etc.
    CBPO 15-5 BPA 16-1
    09/13/15 App (Laredo)
    09/23 Exam
    10/09 Rfrd GS-7
    10/18 Score - 98
    10/26 eQip Email
    10/27 Med/PFT1 Email
    10/29 SI/VBT Sched 11/23
    11/04 Med/PFT1
    11/04 eQip Sent
    11/10 "" Accptd
    11/23 VBT/SI
    11/24 ""(Pass)
    12/03 Rcvd Med/Fit Email (Pass, Follow-Up)
    09/18/15 App (S. TX)
    10/28 Exam (ALT)
    11/15 ReApp (AZ)
    11/18 Score (100)
    11/20 TSL GS-5
    12/16 Sched Med/PFT1
    02/04/16 OHB/Poly

Comment

Originally posted by calebggodwin View Post
      I only have a little bit of experience with this topic, but I wanted to offer something while you wait for a more in depth response. But I would suggest doing research about the city, demographics, the office, it's personnel, etc.
      I appreciate your input man! Thanks!

Comment

You are going to what's often referred to as a "Chief's Interview."

Many agencies work under something called the Rule of Three. They can fill a vacancy taking anyone from the top three test scores on the hiring list. If there is one vacancy they can pick anyone in ranks 1, 2 or 3. If there are five vacancies they can pick any five people from ranks 1 through 8.

The purpose of the Chief's interview is to pick those candidates that seem like they are the best fit. Best fit can mean anything. It can mean you make a good impression, possess a unique skill, or sound like you possess the same philosophy as the chief. It's sort of a crap shoot and literally depends on what is important to the chief (or in this case the Sheriff), which will vary from department to department. The Sheriff has absolute discretion in making a selection. He may choose someone because they go to the same church as him, or because they wore a spiffy suit, or because he likes the way they part their hair. He may decide to not hire someone because they remind him of his no good son in law, failed to shine their shoes, or mentioned they support a neighboring town’s football team.

Should you not be picked, your name will remain on the top of the list and you will be considered again against the remaining top candidates when the next vacancy comes up. This process will continue until your are hired, the list is exhausted or the list expires, whichever comes first.
        Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Originally posted by L-1 View Post
          You are going to what's often referred to as a "Chief's Interview."

Many agencies work under something called the Rule of Three. They can fill a vacancy taking anyone from the top three test scores on the hiring list. If there is one vacancy they can pick anyone in ranks 1, 2 or 3. If there are five vacancies they can pick any five people from ranks 1 through 8.

The purpose of the Chief's interview is to pick those candidates that seem like they are the best fit. Best fit can mean anything. It can mean you make a good impression, possess a unique skill, or sound like you possess the same philosophy as the chief. It's sort of a crap shoot and literally depends on what is important to the chief (or in this case the Sheriff), which will vary from department to department. The Sheriff has absolute discretion in making a selection. He may choose someone because they go to the same church as him, or because they wore a spiffy suit, or because he likes the way they part their hair. He may decide to not hire someone because they remind him of his no good son in law, failed to shine their shoes, or mentioned they support a neighboring town’s football team.

Should you not be picked, your name will remain on the top of the list and you will be considered again against the remaining top candidates when the next vacancy comes up. This process will continue until your are hired, the list is exhausted or the list expires, whichever comes first.
          L-1, thanks for posting.

Have you or has anyone else actually been through a "Chief's Interview"? If so, what was it like?

I know it's hard to determine what exactly is asked in this type of interview setting (post oral board and background), but what are some areas that you recommend for me to focus on in regard to questions? What are some questions and topics that are typically covered in an interview with a sheriff or chief?

Comment

Originally posted by Whiskey View Post
            L-1, thanks for posting.

Have you or has anyone else actually been through a "Chief's Interview"? If so, what was it like?
            I've conducted several of these interviews. As I mentioned in my last post, what's going to be discussed will depend on what's important to the guy doing the hiring and that will vary from person to person, so there is no set standard.

Personally, I had a list of about 10 questions regarding issues that were important to my philosophy and way of doing things. They weren't gotcha questions. Instead, I wanted to understand the applicant's thought process and insightfulness. I wanted to get a feel for how he viewed things and people, and how he processed information and formulated actions. In general, I just wanted to get a feel for what kind of a person he was and whether his personality style and work ethic were compatible with my operation.

When the applicant arrived I would give him a pen, a pad of paper and a sheet containing five of the questions I was going to ask him. I would tell him to take 30 minutes to think about those questions, formulate his answers and used the pen and pad to make notes if he felt it would be useful. After a half hour passed I would bring him in and we would discuss his responses to those questions along with five other questions I had not previously disclosed. If something else of interest came up during our conversation or there was something of interest in the applicant's personal history we might follow that line of discussion as well.

Please note, this was my way of conducting the interview. The next guy might have a totally different style.
            Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

L-1, thank you for taking the time to share your experience!

Comment

When I had my last one, I was expecting a very formal affair with serious questions. Instead they literally just asked me to tell me about myself. It was totally informal and I was completely unprepared for that lol. Just make sure to be relaxed and go in there with an open mind prepared to take it how it comes. Good luck bro but remember... The hard stuff is all over!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9009 users online. 427 members and 8582 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X