X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adrenaline54
    replied
    Originally posted by Gs800ya View Post
    Hi guys, I’m new to the forum and was wondering if anyone has heard anything about hiring? Thank you
    replying to your post to get notification on an answer to this.

Leave a comment:

• Gs800ya
    replied
    Hi guys, I’m new to the forum and was wondering if anyone has heard anything about hiring? Thank you

Leave a comment:

• GenesisPure1
    commented on 's reply
    CUBroncs10 HAHA, you are welcome to invite the wife, good luck getting her out of bed when you land. Usually less than 24 hours down on international trips. After you rest you have enough time to eat dinner then go back to bed to reset for the return flight.

• Lawndart32
    commented on 's reply
    HiFlyR you’re spot on! Your teams and field office makes a big difference in how you view the job. (Individual experiences may vary)
    Last edited by Lawndart32; 03-15-2020, 05:54 PM.

• HiFlyR
    commented on 's reply
    Sheridan1 like Levithane said it all comes down to Congress and my understanding is the budget to FAMS has been consistently slashed or had money transferred to other portions of TSA. I think there’s a general consensus travel is safer and FAMS aren’t needed as much, but talking to flight attendants 95% of them were appreciative to have us on board. I always viewed the job as FAMS were a very high priced insurance policy. You may not need it every day but the one time a disaster happens you’ll be happy you have it. I will always support the agency and the guys there. It would be a shame if it went away entirely.

CUBroncs10 you get downtime on some trips, but I would highly advise against having your spouse or family fly on the same flights as you when you’re working. Obviously one factor is if something did happen you’d be torn to commit to your duties or save your family, or it could blow your “cover”. That being said a perk of the job was some trips took me to cities where I had family and friends. I always made it a point to have dinner or hang out with them when I was in town.

• CUBroncs10
    commented on 's reply
    Completely understand if you can't answer, but generally speaking, do your duties end when you land? My current job travels a lot so family time can be hard but generally, I know a lot of trips before hand and my wife can come with me (our expense) so when I'm not working we can sight see together.

• Levithane
    commented on 's reply
    Sheridan1 when you have free time try to find congressional hearings regarding the Federal Air Marshal Service. Post 9/11 scare many of the elected officials are not convinced that the Air Marshal Service is a sound use of american tax dollars. This is in part because Air Marshals rarely make an arrest, if at all. Mismanagement of the agency, and reported alcohol abuse problem among some Air Marshals have also made law makers take another look at the agency. None of this reflective of my views, but is merely what is public information found from a search engine.

• Sheridan1
    commented on 's reply
    Why do you think there hasn't been an announcement in so long? Usually there's high turnover if there's a lot of travel and time away from family.

• Saber5
    commented on 's reply
    I'll second that, just checked on USAJOBS, nothing there.

• PA_Ed
    commented on 's reply
    DarthBetrayU - any educated guess when the posting may go live?

• HiFlyR
    commented on 's reply
    Feel free to ask on the post if you think it will be helpful to others. I did reply to your chat message.

• Bliskin
    replied
    Originally posted by HiFlyR View Post
    For all of you anticipating this announcement I felt like I’d put my two cents out there.

I worked as a FAM for a shorter period of time before leaving to take my dream 1811 position. The job has plenty of pros and cons.

Pros:
    1) Great entry Fed LEO gig to stop the clock and get your foot in the door.
    2) If you like to travel you get to see the country AND world AND get paid pretty well for it.
    3) You’ll become a great shooter, and if you’re already a great shooter you’ll get even better.
    4) Not a lot of paperwork
    5) Training is generally excellent

Cons:
    1) The travel is intense. Your sleep will be deprived and your health will suffer.
    2) If you have a family the time with them will suffer big time.
    3) Depending on where you go management may be great or it may be terrible
    4) Since there isn’t a lot of paperwork they look at you under the microscope for more mundane activities.
    5) Depending on who you fly with depends on if
    you’ll have a good or bad trip.

I personally loved this gig. I loved traveling, and had a good squad. I still have friends from my academy class I keep in contact with. The only reason I left was for a dream 1811 job I couldn’t pass up.

The academy is no joke. FLETC Artesia is a cakewalk compared to the second stage of training. You’ll be put in high stress/high intensity situations, but you’ll be taught how to get through them. Don’t be a slouch and be in shape.

If the announcement does come out and some are lucky enough to get through just remember to stay healthy. The job can drag you down with long flights and long hours. I always made it a point to workout at least an hour every day of each trip. Also go out and see the city you’re in. You’ll have days you want to stay in the hotel the entire trip, but don’t. Get out and experience a new city and new culture. You won’t regret it.

If anyone has any questions please feel free to ask. Obviously I can’t/won’t answer any tactical or situational questions (plus I understand there’s been some changes since I left anyway), but I’ll do my best to answer general questions on the process/training/every day life.
    Sent you a chat message but dunno if you get those. Your PMs are turned off. Can you enable it or should we ask questions here?

Leave a comment:

• HiFlyR
    replied
    For all of you anticipating this announcement I felt like I’d put my two cents out there.

I worked as a FAM for a shorter period of time before leaving to take my dream 1811 position. The job has plenty of pros and cons.

Pros:
    1) Great entry Fed LEO gig to stop the clock and get your foot in the door.
    2) If you like to travel you get to see the country AND world AND get paid pretty well for it.
    3) You’ll become a great shooter, and if you’re already a great shooter you’ll get even better.
    4) Not a lot of paperwork
    5) Training is generally excellent

Cons:
    1) The travel is intense. Your sleep will be deprived and your health will suffer.
    2) If you have a family the time with them will suffer big time.
    3) Depending on where you go management may be great or it may be terrible
    4) Since there isn’t a lot of paperwork they look at you under the microscope for more mundane activities.
    5) Depending on who you fly with depends on if
    you’ll have a good or bad trip.

I personally loved this gig. I loved traveling, and had a good squad. I still have friends from my academy class I keep in contact with. The only reason I left was for a dream 1811 job I couldn’t pass up.

The academy is no joke. FLETC Artesia is a cakewalk compared to the second stage of training. You’ll be put in high stress/high intensity situations, but you’ll be taught how to get through them. Don’t be a slouch and be in shape.

If the announcement does come out and some are lucky enough to get through just remember to stay healthy. The job can drag you down with long flights and long hours. I always made it a point to workout at least an hour every day of each trip. Also go out and see the city you’re in. You’ll have days you want to stay in the hotel the entire trip, but don’t. Get out and experience a new city and new culture. You won’t regret it.

If anyone has any questions please feel free to ask. Obviously I can’t/won’t answer any tactical or situational questions (plus I understand there’s been some changes since I left anyway), but I’ll do my best to answer general questions on the process/training/every day life.

Leave a comment:

• DarthBetrayU
    replied
    Look for a job post starting Monday Mar 9

Leave a comment:

• WolfHunter1043
    replied
    To keep this post alive, I saw another user saying they heard the attrition rate is 750 a year. Although there are a lot of people leaving, there's no way it's near 750 a year. If you knew the numbers of the work force it would make more sense.

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4559 users online. 185 members and 4374 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X