300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jb2257
    When I was there you went from G to H after one year of satisfactory performance (i.e. A year where you don't screw up), and H to I after an additional year.
    Is I the highest or can you also jump to J & K?

Comment

I'll throw my hat in the ring. Looking to get out of the BOP.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by FrankNY1985 View Post
        Is I the highest or can you also jump to J & K?
        Supervisor are J/K bands....

Comment

Federal Air Marshal Service (FAMS)

I don't think any new hires are going to WFO.
          They are getting a lot of people from the newly closed offices and as people cycle out of HQ assignments. Other offices are hurting far more. But who knows, things change as the wind blows in this place

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          Last edited by echat12; 12-31-2015, 04:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by NeKro13 View Post
            I'll throw my hat in the ring. Looking to get out of the BOP.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
            We lost about 12 guys mostly SORT or ex SORT when they started the FAM program back up in 01. All but 2 came back. We even got a guy in as Captain from the FAM and he left a GS 14 BOP spot and only made it 2 years and came back to BOP.

While the FAM program is probably better than at the rush my point is leave on good terms, you never know and the grass ain't always greener. Folks that left and went to the BP, Customs, DOD and even municipal Pd's have found that out.

Good luck to all.

Comment

Originally posted by in625shooter View Post
              We lost about 12 guys mostly SORT or ex SORT when they started the FAM program back up in 01. All but 2 came back. We even got a guy in as Captain from the FAM and he left a GS 14 BOP spot and only made it 2 years and came back to BOP.

While the FAM program is probably better than at the rush my point is leave on good terms, you never know and the grass ain't always greener. Folks that left and went to the BP, Customs, DOD and even municipal Pd's have found that out.

Good luck to all.
              We have a guy that came back from FAMS as well. He said it gave him a new appreciation for the BOP. Don't know the details, but he mentioned the scheduling was real difficult for family and at the time there were lots of internal conflicts.

Comment

Lots of guys jumping ship right now. That coupled with the mass retirements, is why there is a desperate need to hire. This is a good job, but at the same time I can't see flying for 20 years. I wish the powers that be had a some forward thinking with regard to what this agency would look like 15-20 years in.

Comment

Originally posted by in625shooter View Post

Good luck to all.
                  For me it comes down to pay. I work in Los Angeles and having to compete for GL-8 is BS. Even the cola is garbage, I can't afford a good home loan and I'm not trying to live over a hour away from work. We have no overtime (seriously no overtime) to help us. I'm 28,no kids, just a girlfriend who knows my career come first, even if being away. I want to get picked up by ICE, FPS, USMS but that's a waiting game.

Comment

There are also lots of people who left the FAMS who really regret it, so it comes down to a lot of factors for different people. The ones I know of who left for NCIS absolutely all wish they hadn't. Grass isn't always greener...

Comment

Originally posted by echat12 View Post
                      There are also lots of people who left the FAMS who really regret it, so it comes down to a lot of factors for different people. The ones I know of who left for NCIS absolutely all wish they hadn't. Grass isn't always greener...

My major issue with the FAMS was the $$$$$$$$. I knew that I would never get to the 130-140k, like the guys who were hired early from other fed agencies currently make. If you go, once you get to I band (92k-95kish) that's it, unless your one of the 1% who get(J) at this point, and of course the COLAs, you don't want to rely on COLAs for pay bumps.

Comment

Originally posted by Esco View Post
                        My major issue with the FAMS was the $$$$$$$$. I knew that I would never get to the 130-140k, like the guys who were hired early from other fed agencies currently make. If you go, once you get to I band (92k-95kish) that's it, unless your one of the 1% who get(J) at this point, and of course the COLAs, you don't want to rely on COLAs for pay bumps.
                        Biggest thing for me was the money and not being home to spend time with my family (something I was fine with when I got hired and knew it was part of the job, eventually though I needed a change). People you work with will try and tell you FAMS make more than 1811's and its not worth the jump (if that is your ultimate goal). I have NO regrets about being a FAM or leaving FAMS. Some current FAMS will also tell you that you may be on the GS scale soon enough anyway as it supposedly has been in the works for awhile.....

The GS scale move will not happen as long as FAMS remain part of TSA. I doubt that will change any time soon. Reason being this, if you move the FAMS to the GS scale, since they are part of TSA you would have to move the TSA and all its employees to it as well. I doubt the gov't wants to give TSA screeners step raises on a yearly or even semi yearly basis. There are THOUSANDS of them. The gov't is just fine keeping screeners pay stuck at around 30k, and having them quit in a few years and hire new screeners. You start giving step raises every year, now you give screeners incentives to stay around and *gasp* even potentially collect a pension. Like I said, wont happen.

95K plus 12-20k per diem is what you will make when you hit I-Band in NYC or DC and is great in a big city. But imagine how much further that money goes outside of DC or NYC. That is the reality you will NEVER be able to experience as a FAM. And you will be stuck at that salary unless you promote (no step raises on pay band scale). Again seems like alot of money but if you have a family you are looking at LEAST 2k in rent, possibly more if you want 3 bedrooms. If you are SINGLE I will say you will live fine and be fine. Biggest thing with the FAM salary in high cost of living cities is that you get alot less for your money once you have a family (aka you want to buy not rent).

Making that money in DC or NYC is equal to alot less in a city like Nashville or Milwaukee. That's another reason why people leave, better locations at another agency and being ABLE to transfer after 5-8 years if they get stuck somewhere in new agency they dont like. Also most 1811's top at a GS13-10 before promotions which does have FAMS beat in terms of overall salary (yes even if you include the per diem, which as a FYI does NOT count towards your retirement top 3). A 13-10 is 95k BASE PAY before LEAP and Locality. Add those in and even in small cities, your salary will be about 135K. FAM I Band is 77k before LEAP and Locality and you will stay at that pretty much give or take a few grand for your whole career. So yes, most make the jump to make more. Not so sure why anyone would say you get a cost of living increase yearly. That's controlled by Congress or the President. In four years at FAMS I think I got one 1 percent increase. All I'm saying is dont bank on that yearly.
                        Last edited by DaShwstoppahbk; 01-01-2016, 11:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by echat12 View Post

I don't regret it one bit. I will admit, I do miss traveling. Besides that I don't miss sitting on a 8-12 hour flight trying to stay awake. I can't speak for NCIS, but all my buddies are happy AND grateful for the opportunity FAMS provided them. You also have remember FAM pay will be capped at I band unless you receive an IPI or promotion to J band. Besides that your only raise is cola. When I was with FAMS I went three years without a cola increase, meanwhile in the GS scale in grade steps are automatic and isn't affected by pay freezes.
                          Last edited by UCLA1998; 01-01-2016, 03:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DaShwstoppahbk View Post

The GS scale move will not happen as long as FAMS remain part of TSA. I doubt that will change any time soon. Reason being this, if you move the FAMS to the GS scale, since they are part of TSA you would have to move the TSA and all its employees to it as well. I doubt the gov't wants to give TSA screeners step raises on a yearly or even semi yearly basis. There are THOUSANDS of them. The gov't is just fine keeping screeners pay stuck at around 30k, and having them quit in a few years and hire new screeners. You start giving step raises every year, now you give screeners incentives to stay around and *gasp* even potentially collect a pension. Like I said, wont happen.

Given how much money the government is about to waste on sending all new hire Transportation Security Officers to FLETC in GA to the new TSA training center down there, they may actually save money by putting all of TSA on the GS scale. It could cut down on turnover.

Comment

Wait, TSO's are going to attend FLETC? Zero LE authority, gold badge, and now FLETC...

Comment

Originally posted by PSOSAC View Post
                                Wait, TSO's are going to attend FLETC? Zero LE authority, gold badge, and now FLETC...
                                They were there last spring. I believe they are there for a week.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7656 users online. 337 members and 7319 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X